What's new

Cigar Molds Thread

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Whenever I'm using a double-closed-ends figurado mold I invariably bunch too long for the first half a dozen attempts. Even when I tell myself, "Bunch it an inch too short," I end up an inch too long.
I rolled two today. These will be my new daily habit. I believe I may name them Guapos. They have a chance to turn out elegant.

My tabla has a convenient mark just a quarter inch past the proper length. I cut my filler to this mark, and, sure enough, came out a quarter inch over. I trimmed that quarter off, and voila. The difficult part is preventing the bunch from stretching longer as you bind it. The key is to stretch your filler flat beforehand. All this cutting and stretching filler is something you never do when rolling parejos, where you can just whack the end off. But you get real used to controlling lengths by rolling two fectos a day for a year.

I love this shape.

First attempt leaves plenty room for improvement.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What! .. no nipple?
Love me some nipple.
Not on my gars.

Guapo won't do the trick here. Gotta go with Delicado. The Uppowoc Delicado.

Smoking one now while watching Penn State beat up on Michigan. Oddly, the ligero leaves are large as the seco. I,m using one ligero, two little viso, bound in half a seco, finished with an FX Smith CT shade wrapper. XLNT. ... and I love the delicate shape.

Oh happy day. Bought a parakeet on impulse today. A bird is a living jewel.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I rolled two today. These will be my new daily habit. I believe I may name them Guapos. They have a chance to turn out elegant.

My tabla has a convenient mark just a quarter inch past the proper length. I cut my filler to this mark, and, sure enough, came out a quarter inch over. I trimmed that quarter off, and voila. The difficult part is preventing the bunch from stretching longer as you bind it. The key is to stretch your filler flat beforehand. All this cutting and stretching filler is something you never do when rolling parejos, where you can just whack the end off. But you get real used to controlling lengths by rolling two fectos a day for a year.

I love this shape.

First attempt leaves plenty room for improvement.
Yeah, everything about this craft is learned through practice and repetition, innit?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Love me some nipple.
Not on my gars.

Guapo won't do the trick here. Gotta go with Delicado. The Uppowoc Delicado.

Smoking one now while watching Penn State beat up on Michigan. Oddly, the ligero leaves are large as the seco. I,m using one ligero, two little viso, bound in half a seco, finished with an FX Smith CT shade wrapper. XLNT. ... and I love the delicate shape.

Oh happy day. Bought a parakeet on impulse today. A bird is a living jewel.
Yeah, Guapo didn't make sense to me neither. Not that they aren't handsome. Just that you'd mentioned elegance.

I've been developing some nice new blends with the wads, by the way. Really pleasant smokes. Off to New Orleans for a week on Monday but pretty soon I'll hit you with some things....

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, Guapo didn't make sense to me neither. Not that they aren't handsome. Just that you'd mentioned elegance.

I've been developing some nice new blends with the wads, by the way. Really pleasant smokes. Off to New Orleans for a week on Monday but pretty soon I'll hit you with some things....
Feel free to correct me any time. I am so far out of practice with my Spanglish it's not funny. No one to speak it with. Grew up in SoCal where if you didn't speak Spanglish how could you hang with your friends. My first travels were a year in Mexico. Here, we are blessed with at least a few Mexicans (tho they tend to be from Ciudad Mexico rather than Sonora, Durango, Jalisco... so not the food I love best). But you don't see any at all in the neighborhood. I have no clue where they live. We have black families across the street, Indians come trick or treating, Fiipinos on the way in, unidentified turbans on the corner... a real polyglot all-American working class suburb. Almost sold my truck to a neighborhood Turk just the other day. But for some odd reason, I can't think where a single Latino lives, round here. It's a shame. A nice restaurant opened not long ago just a quarter mile away: Taqueria Atexcac. They serve machetes and tlacoyos and atole. Genuine stuff. Knocks your socks off and makes you nap. Friendly as hell and far from hygienic, which is the way it should be. If you can't struggle your way thru Spanglish, then they have to call the one girl who can speak English. Only place I get to practice these days.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Feel free to correct me any time. I am so far out of practice with my Spanglish it's not funny. No one to speak it with. Grew up in SoCal where if you didn't speak Spanglish how could you hang with your friends. My first travels were a year in Mexico. Here, we are blessed with at least a few Mexicans (tho they tend to be from Ciudad Mexico rather than Sonora, Durango, Jalisco... so not the food I love best). But you don't see any at all in the neighborhood. I have no clue where they live. We have black families across the street, Indians come trick or treating, Fiipinos on the way in, unidentified turbans on the corner... a real polyglot all-American working class suburb. Almost sold my truck to a neighborhood Turk just the other day. But for some odd reason, I can't think where a single Latino lives, round here. It's a shame. A nice restaurant opened not long ago just a quarter mile away: Taqueria Atexcac. They serve machetes and tlacoyos and atole. Genuine stuff. Knocks your socks off and makes you nap. Friendly as hell and far from hygienic, which is the way it should be. If you can't struggle your way thru Spanglish, then they have to call the one girl who can speak English. Only place I get to practice these days.

I speak Surfers' Spanish. Almost entirely present tense, with the rare use of the conditional, as in "Deberías haber visto las olas hace una hora." You should have seen the waves an hour ago. In my case spoken with a gutteral lower-class, blue collar Californian Mexican Spanish. Naturally I always enjoy using the verb "haber."