What's new

Cigar Nut on a College Budget

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
2 Things:
1. Put a ISO out for a budget stick sampler when u have the funds available. I.E. ISO value sampler for 30 dollars shipped etc. Please no gurkas, machine mades swisher sweets etc etc. A few guys are always willing to help out. Your taking sticks they don't want. They're selling to you for a discount because you're taking them off their hands.
2. I love Steak and Lobster. Doesn't mean I can afford to eat it more then once a month. Even after college. We (most) still have to budget. Even after school is done.
Jfire

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Btw for NCs I said this to a few local brothers before. Between 2 or 3 of the boards online. A new cigar smoker would be CRAZY to just not shop religiously on the for sale threads(or crazy to shop anywhere else). In the last 4 years I've seen hundreds of sales go 30-40 percent off msrp on high end/premium sticks just because guys needed the money or wanted the new "it" cigar and sacrificed their current sticks just to get them.....

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Unlike many others here, I would strongly recommend against buying anything more than a 5-pack at a time. Sure, you'll get sticks at a lower individual price, but you also better hope you keep liking that stick for quite a while. I doubt you're smoking multiple sticks a day, so a bundle or a box is going to last quite a while. And if you end up not enjoying that particular cigar, you haven't saved money, you've wasted it. Also, the more cigars you have the more you have to deal with keeping them at the proper temperature and humidity. I suggest that's a concern you can do without. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to buy good quality cigars individually at the best local shop you can find when you can afford them, smoke 'em and enjoy 'em. You'll have many, many years in the future in which you can fill your humidor.
I disagree with this..

JF comments are spot on..

as long as you arent intentionally trying to dump garbage on people.. this board (and others like it) are an easy and cost effective way to vary up your collection..

If you end up with bundle or a box of sticks that you dont particularly like.. but are still decent sticks (known manufacturer, kept in good shape, etc..).. it is highly likely that someone else here likes them and would be more than willing to do a trade for equal value..

you can get involved in box passes, newbie and non newbie trades, etc.. and with no more cost than the price of a flat rate USPS box turn that box of 25 sticks that are decent sticks (that you dont particularly care for.. but there is nothing wrong with them) into a variety of sticks that you can try out and see what you like/dislike..

there are several pretty safe bets in the low end price range that people here (and elsewhere) rave about... I would recommend trying one of those out, and buying in bulk..

If you lke them... GREAT!

If you dont.. no one is going to get offended or think they are getting screwed when you offer them up for trade.. its not that they are bad sticks.. they just arent to your particular liking..

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Unlike many others here, I would strongly recommend against buying anything more than a 5-pack at a time. Sure, you'll get sticks at a lower individual price, but you also better hope you keep liking that stick for quite a while. I doubt you're smoking multiple sticks a day, so a bundle or a box is going to last quite a while. And if you end up not enjoying that particular cigar, you haven't saved money, you've wasted it. Also, the more cigars you have the more you have to deal with keeping them at the proper temperature and humidity. I suggest that's a concern you can do without. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to buy good quality cigars individually at the best local shop you can find when you can afford them, smoke 'em and enjoy 'em. You'll have many, many years in the future in which you can fill your humidor.
+1 IMHO go to the shop once a week grab an inexpensive stick and enjoy. There is no need to have a humidor full of cigars right now; maybe keep a handful. If you try to fill a humidor or maintain one the budget will get out of control before you know it, guaranteed.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Being a poor college student has a lot in common with being an adult with little disposable income (i.e. kids, bills, etc.). First you need to think about how much you're smoking. If you're smoking one or more cigars a day, you're going to have to settle for cheaper cigars than if you're only smoking a couple a week. Then figure out how much you have to spend and then you can figure what price range you're looking at. Some great recommendations been given already, here's mine...

I really like a lot of the stuff Pinar del Rio puts out. It doesn't hurt that they're fairly cheap. Atlantic Cigar has bundles for the same prices as the boxes and you get 5 more cigars in the bundle than the box (other places may have these too, Atlantic is just where I shop a lot).

The regular Padron line is a great cigar and cheap as well (the Londres vitola runs about $3-4 a stick).

Perdomo Lot 23 was a favorite of mine when I first started and it's pretty cheap also. There's also a Perdomo Fresco that runs $1.25 at my local. LP it ain't, but it's not half bad.

Arturo Fuente. They have some higher dollar stuff, but they also have some good cheaper stuff and it's quality.

Henry Clay is another favorite. Looking around I see that Famous Smoke has 'em on sale until the 23rd...$80 for a box of 25 is pretty good IMO.

Look for sales and when/if any of your local shops has events you can often score some deals.

I have to agree with Jfire, visit the Marketplace. Often see stuff going for crazy low prices and I've scored a few nice deals myself there.

Lastly CBid. If you're patient and know what you're buying, you can get some great deals. You can also spend a lot of money on stuff you'll not end up smoking. There's a reason it's called the Devil Site...you've been warned, don't blame me :grin:.

Dan

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
If I were you, i would join cbid.com, go to cigarsinternational.com look through their samplers,
then go back to cbid and bid on a few of their samplers. Also as Justin suggested (Jfire) put up
an iso for a budget sampler. Tell you what though. PM me your address and i'll send you some
cigars for free! I wasn't a smoker in college, but I was broke as hell, and I know how hard it
can be while you are working towards your goals! :)

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
...Tell you what though. PM me your address and i'll send you some cigars for free!...
What a cool gesture! That right there is what makes this place so special! :)
You're absolutely correct :) you guys have been so generous with your advice and suggestions. I'm so happy my friend introduced me to you fine gentlemen.

Thank you a ton guys

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I wanted to thank everyone again for all the help. You guys really set me in the right direction. Still too scared to try cbid though lol

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I wanted to thank everyone again for all the help. You guys really set me in the right direction. Still too scared to try cbid though lol
kinda like meth, it's GREAT once you try it!!! 0_0. but seriously, it's a twap, don't do it.

seriously, patience and self control. also, always feel free to hit us up with an "is this decent for $X?", or an ISO.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Ok Java sir. I've seen so much about the HeadlyGrange on here, is a fiver for $50 a good deal? Id also rather pay someone on here for a fiver if.that's a good deal then go through a b&m.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i think the MSRP is nine-ish, so fifty shipped would not be bad. and i would definitely go through a brother if the offer was there.

or you can do like me, and just try and be patient until next year when they roll out the entire line, and the water is not churning from the feeding frenzy.

FWIW,
o)

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I simply found I rarely have time to smoke cigars. I smoke smaller cigars such as a PCR's and mainly PC sized cigars. Not only do they fall into the time range I have, but the budget as well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to smoking more consistently and am also somewhat on a budget but I was wondering what a good cigarillo is? I was researching for an all natural rich flavored one and was considering either the Ramrod Bourbon Deputy Maduro or Thompson Dominican Cheroot Natural... couldn't find on the internet peoples opinion and I am not sure which one I should try first... I only smoke American Spirits every once in a while and I have smoked 4 cigars unknown but loved them... my friends dad who is super into collecting cigars. Thank you for your help.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I always got by, by purchasing sampler packs. It allows you to try a wide range of cigars but usually you can pay less than 5 bucks a stick. And for good solid smokes that's pretty good.
I've been doing this a lot lately. Trying to expand my palette.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Girlfriend got me a cigar of the month club membership for our anniversary!!! Looks like there was an option we all missed lol