What's new

Cigar postcards

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
One of the best cigar store interiors on any postcard -- Eckerd's in Columbia SC 1954. The Columbia store commissioned five B&W lithographed postcards in 1954. Included the soda fountain shot -- it is a doozy.
Eckerd's was one of the first drugstore chains, starting in Erie PA in 1898. Had 2,300 stores in 23 states at one time, as far west as Arizona. Company brokered to CVS in 2004 in a deal that had Rite-Aid acquiring some of the Eckerd's stores.
Eckerd's, Columbia SC, 1954.jpg Eckerd's.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A wonderfully clear interior circa 1915 of Martin Bros. Cigar Store in Waterloo IA. Beautiful cash register and terrazzo floor.
The owner was Hope C. Martin, a Waterloo entrepreneur married to a woman with the glorious name of Mayme A. Baro. Hope Martin had a wholesale candy and tobacco business in Waterloo. He owned 22 buildings, many farms and properties in Black Hawk County IA. There is a park and a theatre named for him in Waterloo. The park was camp site of the Pottawattomie, Fox, Sioux, Winnebago and Sac Indians.
I worked at a cigar store Comer's when I was in college at U of Iowa. Would have loved to spend a few hours smoking and talking to the folks at this store. Then I would miss air conditioning and cable TV and want to return to now.

Martin Bros. cigar store, Waterloo IA, 1915.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
One of the most recognized brands in clear Havana cigars was La Primadora, made by Max Schwarz at his 952 Third Ave. factory in New York. Here is a B&W real photo card of Schwarz's retail store at 1153 Broadway. Below is a closeup photo of the 1153 Broadway store with wood planking sidewalk. Other Schwarz stores were at 733 Broadway and on Continental Avenue in Forest Hills, Queens. Schwarz, who died in 1940, also produced a Cuban cigar called Polverin Vega. La Primadora brand is still produced in Danli, Honduras.

1153 Broadway, Max Schwartz, c. 1920.jpg Max Schwarz.jpg Max Schwarz Clear Havana ring.jpg La Primadora.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Woman smoking a cigar in the Phillippines c. 1907.
Been reading books lately about Filipino guerrilla forces who helped America fight the Japanese in WWII.
Can any of yinz recommend your favorite Filipino cigar?
Woman smoker, Philippines, 1907.jpg

Last edited:

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cuba's National Commission for Propaganda and Defence of Havana Tobacco published this postcard in 1938. The graphic also ran as an ad in the Dec. 10, 1938 New York Times.
The campaign noted that cigars promoted concentration, relaxation and peace.
New-York-Times10-Dec-1938-Have-a-Cigar.jpg

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Woman smoking a cigar in the Phillippines c. 1907.
Been reading books lately about Filipino guerrilla forces who helped America fight the Japanese in WWII.
Can any of yinz recommend your favorite Filipino cigar?
View attachment 97277
cool thread, thanks for sharing. I've had a Filipino cigar a while back, and for a very cheap cigar, it was actually pretty decent. Flor De Filipinas ...

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
La Corona Cigar Factory is shown to the left of the old Presidential Palace on Avenida Belgica in Havana in this 1930 B&W real photo postcard.
La Corona was home to such fabled brands as Romeo y Julieta, Hoyo de Monterrey, Cuaba, Por Larrañaga, Saint Luis Rey, San Cristóbal de la Habana, and Montecristo.
Havana - Corona Cigars factory and Capitol c. 1930.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Front and back of a nice B&W real photo card for Havana City Store, circa late 1940s. Cigars are front and center in this shot, located above rum bottles. The post card back advertises "Cuba's choisest cigars".
Love the womens' fashions. This is a tourist shop offering the best of Cuban exports.

Havana City Store.JPG

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for posting Jon.
Have been collecting postcards of Built America since 1970. That includes cigars and cigar stores in USA and the Caribbean. Had 180,000 postcards but downsized my collection, selling about 90,000 cards on eBay when I retired in 2004.
These postings are scans from my collection plus stuff I stumble upon online. Here is a B&W real photo cards circa 1915 of a guy enjoying a smoke on a cruise. Love the black spats. Watch for that axe!
Aboard ship, c. 1915.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 93442 One of the best cigars postcards -- the factory, the cars, and especially the tin humidor.
Circa 1915, Detroit. Back then, big cities had dozens of cigars factories, and many small towns had one or two.
I shoot S & W's. Have got them smokin hot!!!! Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk