What's new

Cigar postcards

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Unusually detailed closeup of cigars boxes and a wonderful cash register in this 1911 B&W real photo postcard of Oberg Bros. Palace of Sweets in Philbrook MN.
The sensational name Palace of Sweets suggests that the cigar counter was part of a candy store or probably a drug store.
s-l1600.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Couple of guys playing cards in Camaguey, Cuba, circa 1930s. Looks like they have enough cigars to last the night.
An unusual postcard. May have been taken by a street photographer. The card's back reads Foto Mendoza.
Foto Mendoza, Camagiey, Cuba.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Two Princeton football players celebrate a victory with smokes in 1955. No info on the bow-tied guy with them. Could be their dad, as the ears and jawlines are similar. No. 81 might be star of the game, as he's got a game ball.
The 1955 Tigers won the Ivy league with a 7-2 record. Could not find a roster online to identify the players in this repro postcard, probably taken from a newspaper photo.
We see NFL players smoking cigars when they win the Super Bowl. But never see college players smoking in photos, even selfies.
Victory cigars, Princeton football, 1955.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Unlike most of the cards I post, this New York City landmark is still in business 24 hours a day. Located at Sheridan Square nears the subway's Christopher Street station.
This 1970s chrome postcard shows a busy storefront that has not changed much. That woman walking through the door probably still shops there for paperback books, clocks, rainwear and cigars.
Village Cigars, NYC.JPG

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
H.C. Nolan & Company produced cigars from this factory at 2nd and Walnut Streets in Lansdale PA. This 1900s postcard shows employees. The postcards were produced by a prolific local photographer Charles Berkemeyer.
H.C. Nolan also had a cigar factory in Sellersville PA.
H.C. Nolan cigar factory, Lansdale PA, c. 1910.jpg s-l1600.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
La Victoire was a restaurant owned by Harry L. Katz opposite the Steel Pier in Atlantic City NJ. A well-fortified cigar counter was across from the cash register in this late 1920s linen postcard published by E.C. Kropp of Milwaukee.
La Victoire offered a blue plate seafood special that included half a lobster. Late-night customers were entertained by mucis from Warner MacFarlane's La Victoire Melody Makers.
La Victoire, Atlantic City 1920.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The West Hotel in Sioux City IA circa 1910 looks like a pretty great place to herf. Plenty of rocking chairs, no annoying TVs, a few postcard racks at the cigar counter, a mail drop (that rectangle white box on the pole next to the counter) to tell everyone baclk home you've gone to Iowa to sit in a rocker and smoke cigars.
West Hotel, Sioux City IA.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hepps-Pharmacy-406-Dixon-St.-1922-1024x726.jpg Hepps-Pharmacy-c.-1930.jpg
This was my grandfather Sam Hepps's drugstore at 406 Dixon St in Homestead PA, just across the Monongahela River from Pittsburgh. The store had been a saloon owned by my great-grandfather Bernhardt Hepps, like his son a pharmacist. That's my great-grandfather, also known as Barney, in the bowtie and handlebar mustache. He was a Piittsburgh Pirates season box seat holder. He died during the 1949 World Series -- 6 months before I was born. I was named for him.
The store was across Dixon Street from US Steel No. 1 -- the biggest steel mill in the world. It had been Andrew Carnegie's mill. It was long known as the Homestead Steel Works. The mill closed in 1986.
When the whistle blew at 3 pm and 12 midnight, ending the shifts, the workers, known as steelers like our football team, would flock to my grandfather's store to buy cigars and light them at a perpetual gas flame.
The right seat at the soda fountain is where I spent happy days as a child, consuming as many chocolate sodas as I could stomach, and watching the steelers light their cigars. That's where I smoked my first cigar, a Marsh Wheeling Stogie, at at age 12.
Here is an advertisement from the Homestead Daily Messenger of Dec 9, 1922, heralding the opening of my grandfather's drugstore. The postcard captions and newspaper ad spelled the business name as Hepp's, but my maternal grandparents were named Hepps. They were from Hungary.
Marsh Big Havana Cigars, from Mifflin M. Marsh's cigar factory in Wheeling WV, were sold 6 for a quarter. A box of 50 was $2.05. The factory produced 30 million cigars a year during the 1920s, with half of them sold in the Tri-State area of Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia.
19221209 grand opening of hepps pharm ad_preview.jpeg

Last edited:

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
United Cigars Stores of America was the first chain store offering cigars and tobacco products. Founded 1901. Had 3,000 stores across America 1926. Bankruptcy 1932. Reorganized and expanded to 1,300 stores by 1951. Essentially out of business 1962. The name still used by IMASCO Ltd., which sells to tobacconists in North America.
There were United Cigar stores on street corners in thousands of American cities and towns, mostly eastern US. Here is a cavalcade of United Cigar stores in postcard street views, plus a holiday promo postcard from December 1916 and a United Cigar stock certificate. Second card from the top shows New York's Flatiron Building topped by an illuminated United Cigars sign. The bottom postcard with the flower stands is in San Francisco.
I like the Bridgeport CT 1935 linen postcard showing the depot, the train yards and the United Cigar store with a couple of schnorrers out front, having a smoke.
United Cigars double certificate day 1916.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600.jpg 61fOSZBYDwL.jpg

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Found this spectacular postcard online. Would love this car to be my daily driver.
The Pinterest werbsite says the late 1930s card is from Merchants Cigar & Candy Co. of Fort Lauderdale. Santa's 2 wingmen, who look fantastic, do not seem dressed for Fort Lauderdale, even in December. There is a Hav-A-Tampa window sign and what appears to be a shoe scraper on the sidewalk.
Merchants cigar car.jpg