What's new

Cigar Primer for New Smokers

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I totally agree with the don't buy more then a months worth, because I bought a lot and some of them I don't like nearly as much anymore as I can now pick up more complex flavors.

However Jose Blanco told me that you really should never punch a cigar with a ring gauge of 50-52 or larger. This condenses the smoke too much and builds up too much tar creating a bitter flavor. Punches are actually made for small ring gauges.

Nicely done.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for a great post! I'm already in trouble on a couple of these.

One Q: isn't there some "tasteless" fluid for the Zippo? Thought I'd read that somewhere...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ZIPPO PREMIUM LIGHTER FLUID 12 OZ. CAN

Zippo is proud to introduce our new formula fuel with improved performance; we call it “Cool Fuel.” It burns cleaner and lights faster, but the most noticeable aspect is the reduced odor. This is a great benefit to hunters who want to keep man-made scents to a minimum. Also, some cigar smokers felt that the old Zippo fuel imparted an aftertaste that detracted from the flavor of the cigar. The new fuel is hardly detectable!

Cool Fuel is more highly refined than the previous fuel and is distilled from cosmetic grade petroleum. The result is that it is less irritating to the skin. Cool!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks for a great post! I'm already in trouble on a couple of these.

One Q: isn't there some "tasteless" fluid for the Zippo? Thought I'd read that somewhere...
Yes there is and IMHO it works jsut fine, imparting little to no taste on cigars or pipes.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"However Jose Blanco told me that you really should never punch a cigar with a ring gauge of 50-52 or larger."

Those are the sizes that I prefer to punch, because I use a larger diameter punch I haven't noticed the tar build-up.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
"However Jose Blanco told me that you really should never punch a cigar with a ring gauge of 50-52 or larger."

Those are the sizes that I prefer to punch, because I use a larger diameter punch I haven't noticed the tar build-up.
Yeah, if you have a large punch you should have no problem. What I find is that many ppl just have a one size punch, typically around a 46-48 gauge punch size (estimation). Yeah though, if you have a large punch, or a punch with multiple sizes you would be fine. I was just saying some info I got from a guy that should know his stuff.

mr.drybones

"The Lung Crusher"
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the punch theory makes sense. i usually punch 50 and below, saving the guillotine for anything larger. never smoked a big one that was punched but, i can imagine the hole would accumulate gooey tar, especially if smoked too quickly! thanx for saving me the discovery! M.D.B.

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wow even after smoking a few months and feeling like I have it all down there are still a few tricks that I did not know. This is a good article to read every so often whether you now it all or are just starting.

~Brett:chat: