What's new

Cigar smoking room build - ventilation, decoration, pics

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up in the great white north it's getting cold smoking outside, even by the fire.
There's a 10x11 room in a corner of the basement. Let's turn it into a smoking room!

Punch list:
- no smoke must enter the rest of the non-smoking house
- comfortable for 2 smokers
- enough ventilation so non-smoking wife will have a drink in there with me

fire1.JPG

outside.jpg

inside.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an existing 80cfm 3" bathroom fan. From googling that's a no-go.

I ordered up a vivosun 4" 190cfm fan for cheap, and got some 4" straight and 4" to 3" reducer to test. For a single smoker this should work out OK.

air changes = (cfm*60)/volume
10x11 room and 7.5 ceiling = 825 sq ft

air changes = (190*60)/825
air changes = 13.81 per hour or every 4.3 minutes

I"m starting at this level because of the existing 3" pipe. It's a cheap test. I plan on having to upgrade this for two smokers, and having the air quality clear enough my wife can sit in there with me. That future will be a 6" system.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Havent built one but I'll give you my input from a logical, physics side. I would ditch the carpet, it's only going to hold the smell, I would also look at putting in an exterior door that seals up good or gasketing that door and finding a way to seal the bottom. Also if you had a fresh air intake with a one way valve that would be good so you have fresh warm air coming in from the basement but nothing can escape the room, you'll want that vent hole to be smaller than your out so you only have negative pressure. Gloss paint that can be wiped down would be good too

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the existing venting, and installed the fan and it worked great! No smoke or smell in the rest of the house! I need to leave the door ajar, or the fan stalls and the room gets smokey. So I'll add an intake vent somewhere soon so I can close the door all the way. But sill with the door ajar, zero smoke makes it into the house!

This is perfectly usable, just not as clear and fresh in the room while smoking as I'd like it. So in the spring when it's warm I'll drill the outside wall hole and upgrade to a 6" or 8" fan and ducting.

vent1.jpg

vent2.jpg

vent3.jpg

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very cool!
I've been thinking about this for a few years. My ideal setup is to use a corner of a very large room in my ground level basement. The plan would be to install strong exhaust in a quadrant over the smoking area and have the fan on the other side of an existing wall so it is quiet. It would have to be a strong fan to get all the smoke. The main reason that I don't start this project is that I smoke very little during the winter months and that's a good way to control a habit that I love, but is not particularly good for you. But maybe..........

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a room that I can do this in... Well I do have an office I could do this with, but haven't gotten into that battle yet. I opted for my attached garage and put a ceiling exhaust fan in. I like the look of that in-line fan. Might need to get that. need to add a vent hole vs opening/cracking the garage door(which I do after I finish). Your project looks really nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet had to go! It was holding the smell.
At first I thought it was the Air Purifier thing sucking up cigar then sitting there stinking, but nope, it was all in the carpet.
When I run my exhaust it would clear up. Then sitting with the door closed it would start smelling like an ashtray again with the exhaust off.
Pulled the carpet and now no stink even with exhaust off and air filter off and door closed.
Yay!
I need to shop for a floor but am going to do that last - first ceiling, then walls, then floor.

Carpet and wood etc. ripped out and now it doesn't smell after anymore. It's really no fun to smoke in. It feels like being exiled in there. Time to decorate!

IMG_2002.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<snip> The plan would be to install strong exhaust in a quadrant over the smoking area and have the fan on the other side of an existing wall so it is quiet. <snip>
I did this! The fan is actually inline on the other side of the house in the ducting in another room :) :)

I don't have a room that I can do this in... Well I do have an office I could do this with, but haven't gotten into that battle yet. I opted for my attached garage and put a ceiling exhaust fan in. I like the look of that in-line fan. Might need to get that. need to add a vent hole vs opening/cracking the garage door(which I do after I finish). Your project looks really nice.

If I could start with a 6" fan I'd go direct to vivosun 390 cfm or 440 cfm model. But I was scared they'd just stall stepping down to 3".
FYI I'm trying to re-use my 3" and 4" ducting until spring as I don't want to drill holes now, it's too cold outside! I might even do a 8" 720 cfm when the time comes if I can fit 8" ducting. They are variable so worst case is I turn them down!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I did this! The fan is actually inline on the other side of the house in the ducting in another room :) :)

If I could start with a 6" fan I'd go direct to vivosun 390 cfm or 440 cfm model. But I was scared they'd just stall stepping down to 3".
FYI I'm trying to re-use my 3" and 4" ducting until spring as I don't want to drill holes now, it's too cold outside! I might even do a 8" 720 cfm when the time comes if I can fit 8" ducting. They are variable so worst case is I turn them down!
You will definitely stall any of those with 3" duct. You may not be stalling the one you have now that stepped from a 4" down to a 3" but you probably aren't getting full CFM due to friction loss in the duct. I have a 400 CFM in my garage on 8" being filtered and recirculated in space (not recommended to recirculate in house, filter not THAT good). If you go to 8" if room is tight you could always split it to (2) 4" or square duct. Food for thought. What type of filter media is your air scrubber? How much paid for? Cost? Looking to improve my garage a bit.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How’s it going with the smell so far? I’m curious on what your plans are for that drop ceiling because those tiles will hold smoke smell and also discolor. I’m sure you’ve seen em’ at some B&M the nasty ass ceilings lol.

I am no expert at all but I would think a vapor barrier sheet between the subfloor and the drop ceiling would help from the smoke seeping upwards. Also some vinyl tiles, or another material that can be easily cleaned from time to time.

What are your plans for the floor? You could simply sand it a bit and apply paint.

Enjoy your project brother, in this damn weather it’s a real luxury to be able to smoke indoors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely stall any of those with 3" duct. You may not be stalling the one you have now that stepped from a 4" down to a 3" but you probably aren't getting full CFM due to friction loss in the duct. I have a 400 CFM in my garage on 8" being filtered and recirculated in space (not recommended to recirculate in house, filter not THAT good). If you go to 8" if room is tight you could always split it to (2) 4" or square duct. Food for thought. What type of filter media is your air scrubber? How much paid for? Cost? Looking to improve my garage a bit.

Stupid Tapatalk
Agree
The plan is to have two 4" with 1x1 or 2x2 difusers in the ceiling feeding Y into 6" or 8" that will have the fan and 6-8" out.

Here's info on the filter. So far it is working great - if it dies out or doesn't do a great job over time I will upgrade to an IQAir Health Pro but I don't think it's going to be necessary with the "real" exhaust and intake done.

Amaircare 3000:
Stage One: ¼” non-woven polyester filter media imbued 100% with Activated Carbon (54 g = 59,400 m2 adsorption surface area)
Stage Two: 100 sq. ft. Pleated Easy Twist HEPA Cartridge
Stage Three: ½” non-woven polyester filter media imbued 200% with Activated Carbon (164 g = 180,400 m2 adsorption surface area)
Optional Stage Three Canister: Granulated Carbon pellets encased in steel mesh canister (1550 g = 1,705,000 m2adsorption surface area)
https://amaircare.com/air-purifiers/residential/amaircare-3000/

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going with the smell so far? I’m curious on what your plans are for that drop ceiling because those tiles will hold smoke smell and also discolor. I’m sure you’ve seen em’ at some B&M the nasty ass ceilings lol.

I am no expert at all but I would think a vapor barrier sheet between the subfloor and the drop ceiling would help from the smoke seeping upwards. Also some vinyl tiles, or another material that can be easily cleaned from time to time.

What are your plans for the floor? You could simply sand it a bit and apply paint.

Enjoy your project brother, in this damn weather it’s a real luxury to be able to smoke indoors.
Floor - I'd love click laminate vinyl that looks like rustic wood. Haven't found the right look yet.
Walls - mural pics from Amazon and faux brick wallpaper. Haven't decided on red brick or grey stone. Leaning towards red.

My plan for the ceiling: Samples came today! After I test fit and decide on colours I'll do that, and then decide on the rest. Floor is last so I don't wreck it :)

ceiling.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a smoke eater from a bar up until last year .. should have kept it. But the vent seems to be working might get a rabbit air.