What's new

Cigar smoking room build - ventilation, decoration, pics

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Finally got to the cigar room this weekend.

Finished venting!

Heated from furnace:

View attachment 127329

View attachment 127330

View attachment 127331

Exhaust to outside:

View attachment 127332

View attachment 127333

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Food for thought

You may find that exhaust fan works better for pulling smoke without having a supply diffuser in the ceiling.

It may also do a better job of keeping smoke smell out of the rest of the house without that supply air diffuser. No supply air will make it easier to keep the space in a negative and air making up the space would come from door instead of diffuser, keeping smoke out of house. May not be a problem but if it becomes one I would eliminate that first.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree Tyler
Going for looks right now, will change it all up if it's an issue down the road.
The round supply vent thing can be turned and closed so that can be shut off easily.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Agree Tyler
Going for looks right now, will change it all up if it's an issue down the road.
The round supply vent thing can be turned and closed so that can be shut off easily.
Yup. You could also cut a make up air or free air vent in wall at baseboard if you need more air to keep from starving exhaust. Being an HVAC/Refrigeration guy I just thought I'd share my 0.02.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great, one suggestion I have is to swap the duck tape for some real duct tape, even if that isnt for air sealing, the adhesive on metal foil duct tape is much more permanent than it is on duck tape.
this is a pretty inspirational thing to watch come together and has me thinking about how I could do something similar.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
He's right. And this little project of yours is kicking ass. If it works as well as we all hope, I may need to do a little re work on my smoking room

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. You could also cut a make up air or free air vent in wall at baseboard if you need more air to keep from starving exhaust. Being an HVAC/Refrigeration guy I just thought I'd share my 0.02.

Stupid Tapatalk
Thank you and I’d love to have your input!

My final exhaust fan (when I can drill the outside wall bigger) will be 6” instead of 4”. How much CFM do you think I can run just stealing makeup air from the house before needing separate makeup air heated from outside just for this room? I’m trying to avoid adding that expense and don’t know at what point too much exhaust CFM will necessitate it.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thank you and I’d love to have your input!

My final exhaust fan (when I can drill the outside wall bigger) will be 6” instead of 4”. How much CFM do you think I can run just stealing makeup air from the house before needing separate makeup air heated from outside just for this room? I’m trying to avoid adding that expense and don’t know at what point too much exhaust CFM will necessitate it.
Unless your house is super small, like 500sq ft, you shouldn't need any MAU from outside, unless you leave fan on 24/7. Assuming you have fan on for 2-5hrs a crack. If your furnace and water heater are 90% HE (PVC flue) than it's even less of a concern.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your house is super small, like 500sq ft, you shouldn't need any MAU from outside, unless you leave fan on 24/7. Assuming you have fan on for 2-5hrs a crack. If your furnace and water heater are 90% HE (PVC flue) than it's even less of a concern.

Stupid Tapatalk
That is great news!!!!!
Thank you sir

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is so great. I am very jealous. This room was clearly supposed to be a laundry room so its ideal for this sort of thing with the exhaust ductwork already there.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had some time on the weekend. Ceiling trim almost completed!

I need cheap wall covering ideas that look opulent. Any ideas?

View attachment 128694

Check menards, home depot, or lowes, they have faux brick, wood, and other stuff wall panels. Or you could go to a fabrics and crafts store and buy an ass load of velour and hang it up

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Check menards, home depot, or lowes, they have faux brick, wood, and other stuff wall panels. Or you could go to a fabrics and crafts store and buy an ass load of velour and hang it up
The Velour would hold the smoke scent pretty heavily though :(

But yeah I second the Menards / HD / Lowes / etc - shit check amazon.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cruising amazon. I found Marble contact paper but don't know how strips of it would look on a wall.
I'd love dark marble and/or walnut wood paneling.
Whatever it is has to be easy and not look like Homer Simpson did it (I have very limited skills). Even with that ceiling my son says "If you don't look directly at it, it looks like a professional did it!" LOL.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've been cruising amazon. I found Marble contact paper but don't know how strips of it would look on a wall.
I'd love dark marble and/or walnut wood paneling.
Whatever it is has to be easy and not look like Homer Simpson did it (I have very limited skills). Even with that ceiling my son says "If you don't look directly at it, it looks like a professional did it!" LOL.
Your son and I would get along well!! :)