What's new

Cigar Tar and how to get rid of it

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Smoking a Fuente Don Carlos that I have punched, and noticed the draw getting tighter and tighter. After a little investigation, I see this: tar oozing out just below the punch hole

A flush cut solved the problem. The only other time I've had this happen was with some maddy exquisitos, except that the tar got on my tongue with those. It's the most foul substance on earth to get on your tongue.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Glad to see this post. I had had this happen to me a few times a while ago but not often, and then lately I have noticed having tar buildup occur much more frequently. I was beginning to wonder if something about the way I was storing, cutting, or smoking my cigars was causing this to happen more frequently. I almost always use a shallow straight cut these days, but I was a big fan of my V cutter for a while. Not sure if that has affected anything. I store all my sticks with RH in the low 60's. I too have found that recutting has solved the problem for me. I can try purging more as well; I used to do it a lot but haven't lately.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks for the info OP.

I'll second the purging. I used to have trouble with tar. I asked about it in chat and was told to purge more. Haven't had trouble since.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Purging and lighting at the same time , (making a torch almost) is highly recommended by some of my cigar buddies....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, if that happened to me, I think it would put me off cigars altogether. I mostly smoke robusto and toro sized cigars but don't recall any tar build-up like the OP shows. I do blow through the cigar a few times while smoking so maybe that's it.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For old timers like me we used to consider it was like syrup on our pancakes. Being an avid chewer...Skoal, Red Man, Copenhagen, etc. back in the 80's and 90's a little tar on a cigar was just part of the charm. It's been a long time since I had a 'tarry' cigar but I tend to use a deep V Cut which keeps any substance like that far from my tongue.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Man, if that happened to me, I think it would put me off cigars altogether. I mostly smoke robusto and toro sized cigars but don't recall any tar build-up like the OP shows. I do blow through the cigar a few times while smoking so maybe that's it.
That's one way to reduce the tar...