What's new

CigarBid Pro's and Con's?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good site for you if you live in states that have huge taxes cuz you won't pay any. But you may have to pay the taxes when you pay your yearly taxes if you are honest on your tax returns. And the selection there is better variety that your local cigar shop.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Pros: Cheap stuff, occasionally AMAZING deals if you're patient, good CS

Cons: They're the Devil, it's way too easy to spend all your money, unless you're patient you won't really get that great of a deal, I've had a LOT of problems with shipments being poorly packaged or incorrect (though CS quickly sends replacements), you don't really save as much on shipping multiple items as you think you do

As with all internet purchases, the cigars won't have any "extra age" on them like the sticks you buy from a B&M.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
decide how much you want to spend on a lot. put in a proxy bid up to that amount. log off. log back on after the auction is over to see if you win!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
But you may have to pay the taxes when you pay your yearly taxes if you are honest on your tax returns.
Why would you have to show sales or some other (tobacco, excise, etc.) tax paid on an income tax form?

I've never found the deals on c-bid to be good enough to justify the hours required to pore through the site. Most of the premium brands seem to wind up auctioning at almost retail.

Having said that, it is an awful lot of fun to poke around and see what they have. :grin:

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Why would you have to show sales or some other (tobacco, excise, etc.) tax paid on an income tax form?

I've never found the deals on c-bid to be good enough to justify the hours required to pore through the site. Most of the premium brands seem to wind up auctioning at almost retail.

Having said that, it is an awful lot of fun to poke around and see what they have. :grin:
because you're supposed to pay tax on tobacco products! at least in CA!! a friend of mine just settled up with the State for purchased he made at Thompson's and JR's. they didn't charge him CA sales tax...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
There is so much crap on cbad it is ridiculous, If you are looking for some yard gars or real good deals on crappy cigars start bidding.:devil:

Actually there are some deals to be had, but watch out, dont start bidding just because things are cheap...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
because you're supposed to pay tax on tobacco products! at least in CA!! a friend of mine just settled up with the State for purchased he made at Thompson's and JR's. they didn't charge him CA sales tax...
Honest fella, I think you are supposed to pay sales tax to your state for purchases you made out of state that did not charge you in all states that have a sales tax. But most people dont.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is it re-sellers and individuals selling on there?
No -- it's sponsored by one of the online dealers, I think JR. The few times I've done it, I decide what I'd pay in a B&M and figure I'd pay close to that. That's how I set my max after I add the shipping costs. Then I log back in when the item's over to see if I won.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Is it re-sellers and individuals selling on there?
As stated. sponsored by Cigars International. They dump crap and really good stuff. It is fun, easy and if you follow Jeff's guideline can be a chaep way to buy sticks. One point...check prices on other sites and dont just go with what CI says is the retail price. They can sometimes be way higher than others so make sure your starting point is a good one. I usually check three sites figure 70% of the best price and set my bid.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
For a newb to cbad such as yourself, i say bid early and bid often; you'll be amazed at how fast your colleciton will grow.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I will second nearly everything said here, and add a...

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a tip if you want to play on C Bid which I do every week. KNOW your inventory and what it costs online before you bid. I have about a dozen cigars that I really love and know how much they all cost even at their best pricing. I never bid anything I can get it online for. A rule of thumb for me is this,,,if a box of Padilla Sig. 1932 goes online for $230 I wont go over $150. If my Rocky Patel Seconds A B C D go for around $50online I never bid over $30 for them. There are always enough auctions where you can keep going from one week to the next and get great deals. I got a 125 count RP humidor for $36 two weeks ago and it is a really nice humi that sells regularly for over $125. Like I said, do your homework and then bid with confidence.