What's new

CigarFest 2013

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
So when will you be home.... :devilhead
I moved in with Rex :)

Everyone save yourself some postage... All bombs sent to my house will be re-gifted to Hoshy...

No sense in paying USPS twice to move the same box... Just send it to Rex direct :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Picked up 2 boxes while I was at Cfest.. the deals at the events were hard to beat.. got the box of San Lotano Ovals for $106 out the door.. and they threw in a 5ver sampler of San Lotanos on top of that.. the Ramon Bueso's were $61 out the door (including tax, etc..)..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367239530.358714.jpg

This is MOST o the Cfest sticks and swag.. I found another handful of sticks after I took the pic.. and am too lazy to go back and re-take... in short.. its about a 60/40 split between what I would classify as yard-gars (5 vegas, black pearl, etc..).. and what I would consider premium sticks (undercrowns, JdN's, DPG's, etc..etc..).. certainly more $$ value in sticks than the price of admission though.. and when you add in the swag (cap, torch, cutter, ash tray, humidor, etc.. you are definiately walking away with far more value in "stuff" than you pay to get through the door.. add in the entertainment (live music, booth bunnies, meeting the industry celebs and owners, etc..).. the meals (I ate breakfast and lunch there), etc.. and Cfest is actually quite a bargain..

That said.. I will likely not smoke about 1/3 of what I got (nothing wrong with it.. just things I have tried before and is not to my taste).. or use some of the swag... (thats one UgLy desktop humi lol..)... but.. anything I wont use or smoke personally.. will make excellent bombing material...

Dont know that I will go again anytime soon... but its checked off the bucket list now.. and Im glad to have attended.. I think its worth checking out at least once just to see what all the fuss is about if you have never been before..

just my .02..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367239546.722781.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367239559.427138.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367239573.927122.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I thought you had mentioned a FL trip, if so where are you going to be around? Would be cool to meet up if at all possible. Side not finally got around to smoking a brisket!

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
I had a good time. Was surprised on how many sticks I'm actually going to keep. I usually don't buy from CI so most of the stuff I am keeping is stuff i don't normally have a chance to smoke. The cutter is nice and the lighter looks like junk. I think the picture on the humi is stupid, but I'll still use it. Good thing I have it because I'm running out of room. I really like the ashtray, cool design. I went back in '11 and skipped last year. First year I went I didn't get the hat and shirt. It's definitely worth it for the extra sticks.

The guys i went with were saying they want to try out Cigarnival, anyone ever go to that?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Gonna be a long way from you I am afraid... NAS Pensacola.. and only in town for 24 hours.. then have to fly out to the next meeting.. would have been cool to link up though..

I get to Orlando about once a year.. and usually end up at MacDill AFB in Tampa about once a year or so.. would love to do an afternoon HERF with some of you FLA types if we can make it happen on one of those trips..

How did the brisket turn out?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I think Ciganival will be a much smaller event.. but that could be a good thing.. more opportunities to sit and chat with the guys that actually make sticks for a living, etc.. and wont have to elbow your way in so much to trade a coupon for a stick at each booth, etc..

Youre local to PA.. I think I would probably try it out.. if for no other reason than it is close by.....

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I think the picture on the humi is stupid, but I'll still use it.
Ive decided Im going to use it at my lounge/B&M.. right now I just keep an old fuente churchill sized box in my locker to store sticks.. the CI humi will hold a bit more.. I can put it to decent use there..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I wouldnt bomb out the "junk"... more thinking about the stuff that is generally well received.. that I dont particularly like (like the 601 la bomba, AB Family, etc.. that I got)..

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Yeah let me know when you're in FL again, Tampa is a bit closer then Orlando for me. Brisket turned out great being my first one, it was a 2.20lb brisket and I went for 3 hours. Simple rub and hickory work chunks.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
:threadjack:

next time you go for a brisket.. go for a "big" one.. 6lbs-8lbs..

the thicker cut of meat will make for an even more tender finished product...

small briskets are always a challenge for me.. Its hard to leave them on the smoker as long as needed to slowly bring the internal temp up the right way without drying them out...

This weekend I think Im going to smoke a couple of chickens and maybe a rack of baby back ribs...

:endthreadjack: