What's new

Cigars After a Run or Workout

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
The funny part is no one in this thread told you yet that you are smoking a Tat Big balls. Literally why Pete named it the Cojonu....
Stop smoking really strong NCs and keep a teaspoon of sugar with you if you want to smoke after a run. Btw congrats on a lifestyle change!
I'd recommend some lighter based CCs like a LGC, PLPC, H Upmann PC or HDM EE to smoke after running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^ nailed it. Fruit, gummy bears, any simple sugar for a quick boost for your blood sugar. Similar to what diabetics do if their levels start going too low. Same reason why soda or some sugar makes people feel better when they get nic sick.
This is correct. I'm a Type 1 diabetic and test my blood sugar regularly, including before and after exercise. If I have a hard workout, it's not unusual for my blood sugar to drop anywhere from 60-120 points. I don't usually test before and after cigars, but I've had a few occasions where my blood sugar has crashed 60 points while having a cigar, but usually it's not that bad. Typically it's with stronger cigars, and typically when for whatever reason I accidentally am breathing in too much smoke - like my window isn't rolled down enough or I'm puffing to keep the cigar lit. Symptoms are shakiness, feeing sluggish, being light headed, and nausea. You might puke, and if your sugar gets too low, you will pass out.

I'd definitely recommend eating 15-30 grams of fast acting carbs. 4 ounces of regular non-diet soda or orange juice, or 15 jelly beans are both about 15 carbs that take about 15 to 20 minutes to kick in. The thing with fruit is that the fiber content can prevent your body from absorbing the glucose, so I personally don't trust it in an emergency. I always carry 4 flavored glucose tablets for emergencies since they're easy to carry, work quickly, and taste vaguely like Smarties if you pretend enough. You can get a good sized bottle at a pharmacy. For that matter if you're really curious, you can usually find a cheap glucose meter and test strips and test your own blood sugar to see what's going on.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A follow up to my previous post: in the name of science I decided to test my sugar before and after a cigar tonight. Cigar in question was a CC Punch Royal Coronations tubo. Starting blood sugar was 184, ending blood sugar was 150. I didn't have anything eat or drink, so there shouldn't have been anything else effecting my blood sugar. So that's a 34 mg/dL drop due to a cigar. YMMV.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I used to be a boxer and would light up immediately after 2-3 hours in the gym or after a run all the time. Never noticed any adverse affects at all. Might just be some people are more sensitive than others.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A follow up to my previous post: in the name of science I decided to test my sugar before and after a cigar tonight. Cigar in question was a CC Punch Royal Coronations tubo. Starting blood sugar was 184, ending blood sugar was 150. I didn't have anything eat or drink, so there shouldn't have been anything else effecting my blood sugar. So that's a 34 mg/dL drop due to a cigar. YMMV.

Just to play devil's advocate, there may be more involved than just the cigar. Several factors can influence the drop in BGL. For instance, you didn't eat or drink anything during the smoke, so when was the last time you ate prior to smoking? This could cause the drop by itself. What medications do you take, and when was the last dose? Do you wear an insulin pump? (all rhetorical questions, I don't mean to pry) Not doubting your numbers, but not sure you can blame the cigar without more information.

As an insulin dependent Type 2, I'm going to try to duplicate your results, but by keeping track of when I eat, when I take my meds and insulin, and accounting for the whiskey I usually sip during the smoke. On second thought, this sounds like an excuse to have a second cigar tonight, withholding the drink during the first.

Not trying to discourage you or make fun of your results, just got my curiosity piqued.

I'll let you know.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here's what I came up with:

5:15 pm, blood sugar was 145. took my insulin, ate dinner.

7:15 pm, blood sugar was 132. Started the smoke, a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Black #58.

9:15 pm, finished the cigar, blood sugar is 99.

There may be something to this, but keep in mind I do take both insulin and oral medications. Still not entirely convinced the meds don't play a role. I'd like to see someone who isn't a diabetic try this test.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, here's what I came up with:

5:15 pm, blood sugar was 145. took my insulin, ate dinner.

7:15 pm, blood sugar was 132. Started the smoke, a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Black #58.

9:15 pm, finished the cigar, blood sugar is 99.

There may be something to this, but keep in mind I do take both insulin and oral medications. Still not entirely convinced the meds don't play a role. I'd like to see someone who isn't a diabetic try this test.
I totally agree with you on wanting to see a non-diabetic replicate this. For full disclosure on my test, I started smoking around 4 PM and my last meal had been at noon, but I didn't take short acting insulin because the meal was low carb. I'm not on a pump so I take long acting insulin, but I woke up late and somehow forgot to take it on Saturday morning. So in theory I had no insulin in my system to effect my blood sugar. You are correct that just about anything can change my levels, but in this case there truly weren't that many factors that should have changed it, other than the cigar. Every other time I've tested before and after a cigar I know I've had insulin or food in my system, but not this time.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I totally agree with you on wanting to see a non-diabetic replicate this. For full disclosure on my test, I started smoking around 4 PM and my last meal had been at noon, but I didn't take short acting insulin because the meal was low carb. I'm not on a pump so I take long acting insulin, but I woke up late and somehow forgot to take it on Saturday morning. So in theory I had no insulin in my system to effect my blood sugar. You are correct that just about anything can change my levels, but in this case there truly weren't that many factors that should have changed it, other than the cigar. Every other time I've tested before and after a cigar I know I've had insulin or food in my system, but not this time.

I can duplicate this at work in the next couple of weeks. Or I'll take a reading at home after a work out. (Non diabetic in fairly good shape Btw.)