What's new

Cigars and Pipes?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I started smoking pipes about a year ago, it’s a whole nother monster. Definitely a learning curve on how to pack a pipe, how to “sip” on it just enough that it stays lit but not too much that it gets too hot, etc. I usually smoke my pipes when I’m after a different flavor profile than I’ve found in cigars so far. The wife definitely likes the smell of a pipe over most cigars that I smoke.

Jody

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So Ryan, mjones9630, and Jody pretty much hit the nail on the head. I might be forgetting about a few others too but their replies pretty much cover the basics of the good and bad of it.

Also, you don’t need to spend a ton of money on a pipe. I started out with a Dr Grabow and also a cob gifted to me in my noob trade here too. I’ve seen plenty of people smoke corn cob pipes and prefer them over briar. Plus you can also mod them to your liking. Did I mention they’re a lot cheaper too and you can smoke them all day long. No need for a “rest period.”

If you want a briar pipe without breaking the bank, I’d recommend checking out Morgan pipes “bones” pipes. And take pictures before you first smoke it. Over time watch it color since they’re “naked” aka no stain or dyes on them. Over time the pipe gets darker and brings out some character of the briar.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a daily pipe smoker and almost daily cigar smoker. What I like about the pipe is it is a constant companion for me. I can afford to smoke many bowls per day where I can’t afford many cigars per day. I am smoking a pipe while working or driving and it’s just very convenient. I love the Latakia blends and the Virginia blends. But what I love about cigars is when I light a cigar, it’s dedicated cigar time for me. I get a book or put on a record and find a good drink pairing and I get into that cigar.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really tried my hardest to love pipes for a couple years. I started with a few cheaper pipes, and would get a decent smoke from time to time, but for the most part was just trying to keep the thing lit, or not burning up. I kept at it tho, bought a beautiful Boswell, and watched every video YouTube had to offer. In the end I got tired of trying......and essentially failing. I could get what I considered to be a good smoke for 10 min or so, then it would go out. Every time I thought I was making an appropriate tamp, it would basically go out. Anytime I puffed it frequently enough to keep it lit, my mouth would burn. So, in the end I waived the white flag. I’ll still smoke a pipe once in a blue moon, but the high maintenance nature of the experience was too much for me.

With that being said, if anyone has any tips I’m more than willing to give it another go haha

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I really tried my hardest to love pipes for a couple years. I started with a few cheaper pipes, and would get a decent smoke from time to time, but for the most part was just trying to keep the thing lit, or not burning up. I kept at it tho, bought a beautiful Boswell, and watched every video YouTube had to offer. In the end I got tired of trying......and essentially failing. I could get what I considered to be a good smoke for 10 min or so, then it would go out. Every time I thought I was making an appropriate tamp, it would basically go out. Anytime I puffed it frequently enough to keep it lit, my mouth would burn. So, in the end I waived the white flag. I’ll still smoke a pipe once in a blue moon, but the high maintenance nature of the experience was too much for me.

With that being said, if anyone has any tips I’m more than willing to give it another go haha
I'm having a similar experience, and looking forward to any suggestions.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It might be the style of tobacco you are smoking. Aromatic blends tend to be wet and difficult to smoke. I usually smoke Latakia blends and if it’s a fresh tin I will take a bowls worth and and let it dry for 15-20 minutes. I wish I had better advice but for me it has just been a lot of trial and error until I figured out what works for me.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just from my own experience, when I get tongue bite from the tobacco’s, I’ll take slower puffs of the pipe. And give a few minutes rest in between. Sometimes it’s the tobacco that might be too wet. Lately, I’ve been going through sample baggies gifted to me and noticed some of the dry and brittle samples have been great to smoke.

Relights happen. Some tobaccos you have to really relight more than others. Again comes back to how wet the tobacco.

I’ve read from others if you want to speed up the dry time, the microwave would be good for a 15-20 second cycle. I’ve never done it. YMMV.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk