What's new

Cigars every connoisseur should own/try?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massachusetts or Grand Cayman depending on weather
I'm getting onto 50 years of smoking cigars (and thinking I just might possibly stick with this hobby) and started on Parodis, graduated to various cheap house brands, then went through all the upper brands and Cuban cigars, and finally discovered A J Fernandez, and now those make up most of my rotation. But there are a few brands you ought to try, even though in my opinion they are not much better (especially in terms of value for your dollar) than anything Fernandez is putting out. So I would recommend trying some Padrons (the 1000 series is an OK value and taste pretty good if you put them down for about a year, but the best IMHO are the 1964 anniversary series), Ashton (the VSG is nice as is the Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reserva), My Father/Don Pepin (the original My father line and the Le Bijou are two I really like), Tatuaje, Davidoff Nicaraguan (but way overpriced in my opinion), Drew Estate Ligas (9 better than 52 but worth trying both), Fuente (Casa Fuente house brand if you get to their store in Vegas, and Fuente Sharks - which I don't like but it's a cult thing). And Parodis - you have to try them. Back in the day they were $0.25 for a box of five. I still smoke them today even though they are up to $3.00/box. So now that I can afford to smoke anything I want, my normal rotation is Man O War, Man O War Ruination, MOW Armada, 5 Vegas AAA and Cask Strength, Diesel Wicked or Grind, CAO Extreme and Brasilia, Latitude Zero, Fallen angel, Fernandez Relics and Miamis, Aroma de cuba mi amor reserva, Oliva O, and Cain F. And I think the most expensive is about $4 and almost all below $3 a stick.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So, I've been into cigars for about 4 or 5 years now. It's what actually got me off of cigarettes. I started with Acid cigars, and quickly moved to non-infused sticks. I was stuck on Camacho for a while, all I would smoke were Connecticut and Corojo and Corojo maduro. Then moved to the Triple Maduro and then fell in love with anything Diesel and AJ Fernandez.

I stopped for a while due to a move across the county, no job (at the time), and no local shop.

I recently got my humidors full once again and have built a wineador (drawers pending). I ordered a 35 cigar Sampler from CI of nothing but Diesel cigars, and various other Fernandez cigars.

My question is this.....what classics do I need to get?

I feel like I jumped straight into the "new age" stuff. I got into cigars after the Camacho re-brand, and never really got to try any of their old label stuff (I have had an old label triple maduro).

What are some cigars that are not hard to find that every connoisseur should have/try/keep in their humidor? The classic families from the old school? I've been thinking about this the last few days, figured I'd ask y'all for some recommendations.

I'm open to any flavor profile, with being away from cigars for so long my palate kind of reset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
That's difficult. Though some good answers so far. But You may have to consider it from a different perspective.

It seems to me that the blenders and manufacturers overall, have always tried to work towards the benchmark of Cubans. With very little success other than a few exceptions. Fuente, Davidoff and Padron have their own unique profiles, but they're definitely not suited to every palate.
Many of the best sellers prior to the boutique boom are garbage compared to what's available now. Ahem, Macanudo... But now is an amazing time to be in the cigar hobby due to the proliferation of excellent blends created in the last 2 decades.
So I wouldn't go for the classics, unless you enjoy subtler smokes and intend to build up a cc stash.
But rather go for the best of what's available today.
Most recommendations are biased to the individual palate, but it's a place to start.

My recommendations would be:

Oliva V Melanio
H. Upmann by AJ Fernandez
Cabaiguan by Tatuaje
Tat Brown label
Laranja
LFD La Nox, Airbender, double ligero
Every L'atelier and surrogates
Regius
Crowned Heads samplers (I like Luminosa, Las mareas, Jericho hill, four kicks and Le careme)
601 blue label
Diamond crown Julias ceaser
CAO brazilia, black, Amazon, and flatheads
Sobremesa
MI querida
El Gueguense
Wiseman maduro
Every Illusione, especially epernay.
Most Curivari
La palina
And so many more.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
My list:

Oliva V Melanio
Cabaiguan by Tatuaje
Tat Brown label
Laranja
Regius
Crowned Heads samplers (I like Luminosa, Las mareas, Jericho hill, four kicks and Le careme)
601 blue label
Sobremesa
MI querida
El Gueguense
Wiseman maduro
Most Curivari
La palina
And so many more.
#Noted

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for 17 years, and I think that there are many cigars from the past that, at the time, were considered really good smokes, but today are considered "dog rockets"or "yard gars." I did smoke the old school Camacho cigars and they almost always made me nauseated. They tasted nice, but I always got sick after smoking one. Some great smokes from the past that I'd like to mention are the Torano line. If you can get your hands on the old ones they are great, old CAO cigars are good as well. I would also like to mention old Davidoffs, The Griffins, and AVO's as well. Old school Ashtons were good too. All of the NC's that I buy tend to be inexpensive, because I'd rather spend my money on cigars that you cannot find readily at your local shop though. I have loved many of the new NC offerings, by this I mean those made post 2007. I particularly like Tatuaje, which started earlier, but I came to the table late.
That's difficult. Though some good answers so far. But You may have to consider it from a different perspective.

It seems to me that the blenders and manufacturers overall, have always tried to work towards the benchmark of Cubans. With very little success other than a few exceptions. Fuente, Davidoff and Padron have their own unique profiles, but they're definitely not suited to every palate.
Many of the best sellers prior to the boutique boom are garbage compared to what's available now. Ahem, Macanudo... But now is an amazing time to be in the cigar hobby due to the proliferation of excellent blends created in the last 2 decades.
So I wouldn't go for the classics, unless you enjoy subtler smokes and intend to build up a cc stash.
But rather go for the best of what's available today.
Most recommendations are biased to the individual palate, but it's a place to start.

My recommendations would be:

Oliva V Melanio
Cabaiguan by Tatuaje
Tat Brown label
Laranja
Regius
601 blue label
Sobremesa
MI querida
El Gueguense
Wiseman maduro
Most Curivari
La palina
And so many more.
Wow, so much has changed since I wrote my original post. I have fallen in love with so many new NC's that I'm a total new convert. Back in the day I used to smoke NCs to keep my hands off my stash; now I think mostly about building up a stash of these great new cigars!

Last edited: