What's new

Coffee makes cigars better

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a scientific reason for coffee and cigars pairing so well.

taste, like smell, light, or any other sensory perception has a tendency to "fatigue" or loose its power the more you exposed to it. for example, when you walk into a room where food is being cooked you are very aware of the smell of the food, especially if the food is powerful in nature such as curry, garlic, etc.
the more you stay in that room, the more you become accustomed to the smell.

taste buds work in a similar fashion. if you are only smoking the cigar there are rest periods for your taste buds and Olfactory (olfactics?) receptors. you can still taste/smell the cigar.

Cigar smoke, rather fermented tobacco smoke, is alkaline in nature. Coffee is Acidic in nature.

this gives your taste buds and olfactory receptors a work out. the different pH levels, the different tastes make every puff and every sip easier to taste because it is different. your taste/smell does not "get used to" what you are doing.

this is also a reason that many people think that Coke/Pepsi and cigars pair well also. the sweet acidity contrasts many of the alkaline and peppery cigars that are out there.

it has more to do with pH than anything else.

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0

taste, like smell, light, or any other sensory perception has a tendency to "fatigue" or loose its power the more you exposed to it. for example, when you walk into a room where food is being cooked you are very aware of the smell of the food, especially if the food is powerful in nature such as curry, garlic, etc.

taste buds work in a similar fashion. if you are only smoking the cigar there are rest periods for your taste buds and Olfactory (olfactics?) receptors. you can still taste/smell the cigar.

Cigar smoke, rather fermented tobacco smoke, is alkaline in nature. Coffee is Acidic in nature.

this gives your taste buds and olfactory receptors a work out. the different pH levels, the different tastes make every puff and every sip easier to taste because it is different. your taste/smell does not "get used to" what you are doing.

this is also a reason that many people think that Coke/Pepsi and cigars pair well also. the sweet acidity contrasts many of the alkaline and peppery cigars that are out there.

Very well put, kuzi. Thank you for the information!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
This might explain when I started liking cigars less. I stopped smoking in the cars where I mostly smoked on the way to work with coffee. Many cigars I loved while driving I liked less with just water. Hurumpf.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Wow thanks alot for the info.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I'm with you 100%! Unfortunately I rarely get a chance to smoke in the morning and if I have coffee after 2-3pm, I'm awake all night. :(
This brings up a question....what are your thoughts on buying Decaf? I picked up a couple boxes of decaf k-cups for the specific purpose of being able to have a cup with my late night cigar. Sure it is not the worlds best coffee, but it gets the job done.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I rarely drink coffee and when I do, it's decaf. I have enjoyed pairing coffee with cigars, but I find when I drink coffee in the morning, it has a detrimental effect on my afternoon cigar. I think you can train your taste buds to compensate, but I just haven't done that.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
IIRC, decaff is mostly made with a washing process: coffee cherries are soaked to remove caffeine, then dried back out for roasting. this explains why decaff can taste "washed out", because it actually is.

still, if you do not notice a difference, or add sufficient extras, no big. drink what you enjoy, and enjoy what you drink, right? o)

Last edited:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
always wondered why no one has tried tobacco in hawaii. huh.
I looked into this a few years back. If I remember correctly, there is not enough affordable land in the right climatic zone... that, and I am sure the Hawaiian Department of Agriculture doesn't make it easy to bring in new ag with there quarantine program.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Great info!!
I smoked my first NHC Surragate Bone Crusher yesterday and really wasn't into it. Went and grabbed an oatmeal stout and Bam!! they really seemed to balance each other out. I was amazed at how much better the beer made the cigar taste.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2

PHP:
Great Post Kuzi!
Nate,

I really enjoy coffee with a cigar too! One of my favorites is a dark roasted
Sumatra, and the local gas station chain QT has an Italian blend (seasonal)
that's very dark, and it's great. For me, add some sugar and milk/cream to taste and light up!:stretchgr

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Agreed with all comments! I've also tried frozen mudslides with cigars which was really tasty. I just got the premixed kahlua mudslide and blending it with some ice. Great on a hot day!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see there are others! Yea, like I said I'm a coffee novice. I have a decent coffee maker (standard, not a press or anything). I mostly buy the whole bean Starbucks and a couple others, but that's all the Commissary has (and the coffee in Japanese stores is crazy expensive ... like seriously, crazy!).
Check out some of the Peet's lines. Both Peet's and starbuck's are spinoffs of SBC. Difference is Peet's doesn't over roast their beans. I suggest either the columbian or major dickenson's blend, both excellent roasts.

Enjoy!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Nate,

I really enjoy coffee with a cigar too! One of my favorites is a dark roasted
Sumatra, and the local gas station chain QT has an Italian blend (seasonal)
that's very dark, and it's great. For me, add some sugar and milk/cream to taste and light up!:stretchgr

Man, I've really been getting into Sumatra lately too, even in the mornings. I also like Cafe Verona and most other dark roasts I've tried, but atm the Sumatra is my favorite. I should add, all I can buy here is the Starbucks whole-bean stuff.

I too add raw sugar and half/half to most coffees--the sugar is for flavor or to kill any bitterness, the cream is mostly for texture.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The premier coffee roaster in Japan (might have to use Google Translate):

www.maruyamacoffee.com
There is no option on the site to make it in English. Is their a US based website you would recommend to order good coffee from? I have lived in Seattle my whole life and drink copious amounts of coffee but I am bored as can be with all my local options. My dad loves coffee and I am trying to pick up some for him for fathers day as well as purchasing me a couple pounds for my personal stash.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree nothing goes better with a cigar than coffee but seriously guys you need to step your coffee game up..., get away from gnarly dark roasted starbucks and peets and try a local roaster who sources there beans seasonly and roasts them to enhance the flavor of the beans not to reach a certain roast profile. We spend good money on our cigars and then buy crappy coffee to go with it. Here are some roasters for your parts of the world. I am sure there are more but these are great places to start.

Northwest
Stumptown Coffee Roasters
Coava Coffee Roasters
Herkimer Coffee Roasters
Batdorf & Bronson

Southwest
Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea
Handsome Coffee Roasters

Midwest
Metro Coffee
Alterra Coffee

Northeast
Counter Culture Coffee
Stumptown Coffee

Southeast
Batdorf & Bronson Coffee
Counter Culture

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I agree nothing goes better with a cigar than coffee but seriously guys you need to step your coffee game up..., get away from gnarly dark roasted starbucks and peets and try a local roaster who sources there beans seasonly and roasts them to enhance the flavor of the beans not to reach a certain roast profile. We spend good money on our cigars and then buy crappy coffee to go with it. Here are some roasters for your parts of the world. I am sure there are more but these are great places to start.

Northwest
Stumptown Coffee Roasters
Coava Coffee Roasters
Herkimer Coffee Roasters
Batdorf & Bronson

Southwest
Handsome Coffee Roasters

Midwest
Metro Coffee
Alterra Coffee

Northeast
Counter Culture Coffee
Stumptown Coffee

Southeast
Batdorf & Bronson Coffee
Counter Culture

Hey man, thanks for the list of coffee purveyors. I love trying new coffees, kinda like cigars. I don't drink booze, so coffee is my go to drink with a cigar. I keep hearing a chocolate shake is good too, but haven't tried it yet. In the summer here in Florida, a tall iced coffee and a cigar is a great way to spend the weekend mornings.