What's new

Coffee makes cigars better

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
there is a scientific reason for coffee and cigars pairing so well.

taste, like smell, light, or any other sensory perception has a tendency to "fatigue" or loose its power the more you exposed to it. for example, when you walk into a room where food is being cooked you are very aware of the smell of the food, especially if the food is powerful in nature such as curry, garlic, etc.
the more you stay in that room, the more you become accustomed to the smell.

taste buds work in a similar fashion. if you are only smoking the cigar there are rest periods for your taste buds and Olfactory (olfactics?) receptors. you can still taste/smell the cigar.

Cigar smoke, rather fermented tobacco smoke, is alkaline in nature. Coffee is Acidic in nature.

this gives your taste buds and olfactory receptors a work out. the different pH levels, the different tastes make every puff and every sip easier to taste because it is different. your taste/smell does not "get used to" what you are doing.

this is also a reason that many people think that Coke/Pepsi and cigars pair well also. the sweet acidity contrasts many of the alkaline and peppery cigars that are out there.

it has more to do with pH than anything else.
Learning new things each day...thanks man

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
View attachment 22396
I got this for Christmas for one year, I had some great single origin coffees brewed in it. For whatever reason, It got put in the cupboard... This thread has inspired me to crack it out again.
Cheers!
Geez, that looks like something for torturing somebody! Lock their hands into it while you wrap that thing on the wall around their necks! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree nothing goes better with a cigar than coffee but seriously guys you need to step your coffee game up..., get away from gnarly dark roasted starbucks and peets and try a local roaster who sources there beans seasonly and roasts them to enhance the flavor of the beans not to reach a certain roast profile. We spend good money on our cigars and then buy crappy coffee to go with it. Here are some roasters for your parts of the world. I am sure there are more but these are great places to start.

Man, you ain't lying... For the past year or so, I've been getting my coffee from a local roaster here in B'ham called Primavera Coffee Co. It's not even close... You can have that over roasted chit as far as I'm concerned. :yes:

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0
I agree nothing goes better with a cigar than coffee but seriously guys you need to step your coffee game up... try a local roaster who sources there beans seasonly and roasts them to enhance the flavor of the beans not to reach a certain roast profile.

Midwest
Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea
Metro Coffee
I drink coffee roasted locally by both Metropolis and Intelligensia. I remember when each roaster opened their first location(s). If you have the means, buy (1) Intelligensia, and (2) Metropolis.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I drink coffee roasted locally by both Metropolis and Intelligensia. I remember when each roaster opened their first location(s). If you have the means, buy (1) Intelligensia, and (2) Metropolis.
Intelli is always number one on my list Doug Zell and the guys do a fantastic job.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Hmm...Just read this thread and I wish I could drink my coffee while I have a cigar. Problem is I drink my morning coffee and then find I don't care to drink anymore through the day. For one thing, I get "gut rot" from it if I drink to much and I hate wasting my coffee. if I'm not going to drink it all I just can't justify making it. 99% of the time I drink diet coke with my cigar but maybe I should try a Starbucks" Ice Moca some time...that might be good. I dunno.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are some really good libations that will make the tobacco taste better...coffee is one of them. Another is something i discovered while on a cruise about 8 years ago...Amarula. This stuff compliments just about any cigar and it has a unique taste to it...sort of like a coffee/Godiva chocolate but in a liqueur ...
Amarula Cream is a South African cream liqueur made from the fruit of the Marula tree, also known as Sclerocarya birrea or The Elephant Tree, and cream....amazing combination that pairs very well with a cigar.