What's new

Cohiba or Fauxhiba?

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Alright guys. Got a mystery for you. A friend from another forum purchased this box of cigars for $200, intending to give them out as a gift to clients. All of the other guys on that board say they're real and that he got a screaming deal since MSRP is apparently ~$600. My concern is that they are not real, and that he'll be giving away (very believable) fakes.

Here are the photos so far:

Additional Information:

- According to cubancigarwebsite.com, Sublimes were only produced as a 2004 EL Release, with the secondary band.
- I cannot find any reputable retailer selling this specific box.
- I can however find the exact humidor box for sale on Alibaba for $4-13.
- The band looks good, however the gold Behike head isn't centered in the white outline, and the Cuba/Cohiba printing looks much thicker than references I can find online. The "swirls" in the Behike head don't seem to alternate either.
- The Cohiba paper seems to only be included with the six vitolas mentioned under "Line 1492". If legit, why is it included with a release of Sublimes that isn't "on the books"?

My gut screams that this is a good forgery, with an over-the-top box and paperwork that shouldn't have been included. My mission is to determine if they are real or fake, to prevent my friend from potentially getting embarassed giving them out as gifts. What says BOTL?

@ChefBoyRG54 - tagged for being a subject matter expert and a great derailer of threads.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is definitely fishy to me . I'm almost sure it's fake. Can you take a picture of the cap or let us know if it's triple capped? I have yet to see a fake Cohiba with the new band though. I'd like to hear from some of the cuban experts on here though.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
100% fake. What bloody forum did he get this from that they said it was legit?!
Hahaha, it's not a cigar forum, merely has a cigar section. It's a good bunch of guys, and I don't want to see anyone upset or potentially embarrassed passing them off as the genuine article.

can't you call Cohiba and confirm box number/batch number?
I tried dialling 1-800-FAUXIBA, but no dice.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
And quite frankly, if Tom says their fake, they are fake in my book. I've never known him to be wrong about such things, and he has far more experience and expertise with fake vs real habanos than anyone I know.

Good call @Spenny

The Sublime,being made in 2004,had two bands,neither of which was the hologram band,and the box was not the yellow presentation box shown here.
Pretty nice piece of work,but totally fake.............View attachment 76615