What's new

Cohiba Reserva, does this cigar look saveable?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello all. I was at my local cigar shop and saw a Cohiba Reserva in the $5 box.
So I took a gamble and picked it up. It looks in bad shape and doesn't have much smell coming from it. The guy said he didnt know what happened to it, but it was from someones locker at the place.

It is not uber dry, it has some give to the wrapper, but it obviously wasnt taken care of. Wondering if you all think this is worth keeping to try and save... well I am going to do that anyway, but wondering what you all think.

Cheers, oh I also bought a don pepin blue lancero which I am enjoying now.

The robusto really kicked by butt with it's strength, this is better due to the smaller ring guage.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You found a CC sitting in a $5 box at a local cigar shop? Something sounds fishy with that one. As for the cigar, let it rest for a while at a lower humidity and slowly bring it up a little at a time. With some down time it should be good to go since it doesnt look too bad right now. Foot cracks will go away with the light, only thing I would be worried about is if it continues to split up the wrapper

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$5 is a minimal risk and the band looks authenticate. The cigar I dont know about, the the Reserva band was not moveable, it doesnt seem like it was slipped on. And for $5 I dont think someone is trying to get over.

I dont know the story behind the cigar so it may have been neglected for so long or it may have just had drink spilled on it and then kinda discarded.

It does look like it had excess moisture on it at some point, but not from ambient or higher RH conditions, more like submerged by mistake maybe.

We'll see.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
there is no such thing as a deal with cc's. I would bet the farm that the cigar is in fact fake judging by 1) The price, 2) The price, 3) If you live in NY, no shop owner is stupid enough to have a cuban cigar just chilling out in a discount bin, 4) the price, 5) the rare nature and high msrp and release date of that cigar, 6) the price.

It's fake.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
there is no such thing as a deal with cc's. I would bet the farm that the cigar is in fact fake judging by 1) The price, 2) The price, 3) If you live in NY, no shop owner is stupid enough to have a cuban cigar just chilling out in a discount bin, 4) the price, 5) the rare nature and high msrp and release date of that cigar, 6) the price.

It's fake.
Not to mention, the price :cbig:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, the price :cbig:
haha the price is questionable. I agree completely, however I dont see the benefit for selling it for $5 then. not a huge gain if I were trying to pass something off for a $120 smoke, even if damaged.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Did you get that in a shop in NY? I've never met a B&M owner that we be so thick in the head.

And even with that little crack, if that really was from the reserva 30 box, I know guys that would gladly pay $40-50 for it...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on Long Island in NY. Well that is my hope Cristobal. I bet those guys have some money in there and am hoping they were just like, pffttt that is damaged and probably wont be good.

But with that being said the cigar is in pretty poor condition I believe, so maybe it really is beyond repair.

Oh and I the cigar was actually $5.50 as the guy charged me tax, we went on to have a conversation regarding the new
legislation in NYC for tobacco products.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If I was a shop owner that had absolutely no reguard for my shop's well being... or state laws, I would deffinitely put cohiba bands on some Alcazars and prey on people who don't know better.

You gotta understand how big of an oversight that is. You could get shut down and fined a shit-ton of money for that one cigar.

$.50 tax? Wouldn't a $5 cigar in NY cost ten bucks or so?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah, I am not sure if the tobacco tax is added on to the cost of the cigar to the consumer. They probably pay it on the product they buy from a distributor and then just up their prices.

sales tax in nyc is %8.875 but I am not sure how it may relate to tobacco products.

In this case, the 1 cigar was lumped together is an box with other misc sticks. It is possible, they werent aware of what was in there, just emptied from an old locker they were cleaning out.

(Shrug)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha Ciggy. I agree there are always people trying to get over, even if just making $5 off off of $1.

It is just not a huge benefit to sell what would be a $120 cigar for $5 (even if damaged). If I were trying to get over on someone like that, I would at least make it worth the while. If you are preying on a consumer that doesnt know that much, but knows what a CC looks like, wouldnt you at least ask for $20?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If I were trying to get over on someone like that, I would at least make it worth the while. If you are preying on a consumer that doesnt know that much, but knows what a CC looks like, wouldnt you at least ask for $20?
which brings me back to the point that this shop clerk has no business being around cigars... based on the aforementioned I'm supprised you didn't find a toothbrush and a hotdog in with the $5 cigars...

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Smoke it and let us know.

My guess is it's fake. Can't tell from here, I don't see a triple cap. Bands can be faked/ switched, whatever. Bands don't mean much unless it's very obviously wrong.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Doubt it's real, but for $5.50, what the hell. Fire it up. A cracked foot is no problem. If it tastes good enjoy. If not, toss it- you're not out a lot of money.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Whether it's fake or not, I think the cigar is savable.

I was gifted 5 Padron 1964s from a gentleman who had them sitting in a box with no humidification. They were extremely dry, rough, and brittle. I set these cigars at the top of my humidor for about six months and they came around just fine. They burnt fine, they didn't burst, and they tasted great. I'm sure if you did the same with the cigar in question, it would be fine.

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Perhaps its the photo but i don't see a triple cap. I would have to say it's fake based on the story but who knows. The fact is you only paid $5 for it and even if its fake you probably got your moneys worth. I have had plenty of fakes that were really good cigars in their own right.