What's new

Compressor model wine cooler question

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Just a quick question ... Have an opportunity to get this for a steal. Owner states it is a compressor model, although everything I found on wine enthusiast trilogy coolers says they are thermoelectric. What are the "issues" with compressor model coolers as opposed to thermo coolers? I had a new air a few years back so I'm used to that style. Just wondering if it's a good idea to pass this up or go for it. Any input fellas?

uploadfromtaptalk1397501672663.jpg

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
compressor-driven cooling units are notorious for having condensation issues, which is a bad thing when the point is to maintain humidity. also, thermoelectric will normally cool to a much higher temp; it is a rare "fridge" that will just hover at 66 Farenheit.

however, do you NEED the temp control? being in IN, if you have decent climate control in your house, you could use it for storage without even running it. the seals are solid enough to be basically a dressed up cooler. it really depends on your wants and needs, and how much of "a steal" you consider this.

end of it, i would personally use it to store cigars, provided i did not have to run the cooling system, but that's just me.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
c1ark,

As I understand it, the compressor type of cooling will pull out moisture from within the container.

Obviously, thats no good. As you need to regulate the amount of humidity (moisture).

Nice looking cab though. Hopefully it really is Thermo!

-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yes it would be in the house where we keep it between 68 in the summer to around 72 in the winter so running it wouldn't be completely necessary. Looks like they list around $1400 new and I can get this for a little over $100. Locks are busted but that's not a concern at the moment.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Personally, a little over $100, even if it wasnt working, I would still jump on.

I think it looks good. And to have the three separate areas would allow for some cool management IMO. Hopefully it still looks good.

And hopefully the seals aren't leaking.

-Chrisso

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
... and, having actually LOOKED at the pix, BUY THAT BITCH! NOW!!! it looks sharp, is almost six feet from the look, and for a hundo is a blatant theft, not a steal. even requiring a little elbow grease, it would be totally worth it.

and, as if it needs saying, but we want pix when it's full. o)

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Definitely Jump on it! That is a steal for sure!!! I have a compressor model Vinotemp and I disconnected the compressor and just run the inside fan and it works good...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
BUY IT....

If for some reason you decide you dont want it.. someone here will buy it off of you.. and pay for shipping... (I dont need it... but for $100.. Ill buy it off of you.. even if the shipping is another $100 it would be worth it)...

unless there is something terribly wrong with it that you cant see in the pic (doors wont seal properly, big gaping hole in the back, etc..).. that is the steal of the century..

if its a thermo unit.. thats gravy...

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
BUY IT....

If for some reason you decide you dont want it.. someone here will buy it off of you.. and pay for shipping... (I dont need it... but for $100.. Ill buy it off of you.. even if the shipping is another $100 it would be worth it)...

unless there is something terribly wrong with it that you cant see in the pic (doors wont seal properly, big gaping hole in the back, etc..).. that is the steal of the century..

if its a thermo unit.. thats gravy...
I would agree with pretty much all of that.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Well I'll be a son of a bitch ... it's thermoelectric. Needs a good cleaning but she's headed home. Thanks for all the input guys ... and I guess disregard the original question!

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Only thing I will add to this is. You being located in IN. You will most likely not need it to cool if you keep it out of direct sunlight for cigar storage purposes. You really just need the seal.

Think of the size humidor you would get for 100 bucks and compare to that.

Looks like a really solid project.

Enjoy.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
so.. about that offer to pay you the $100 plus shipping to TN..... we still good????? :grin:

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
so.. about that offer to pay you the $100 plus shipping to TN..... we still good????? :grin:
to normal for you, dave. wasn't your last build out of an old gun cabinet? to top that, you would have to make a walk in out of a panic room.

and call it "your bat cave". o)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Haha nice one. I couldn't believe it when I looked behind the unit. I didn't mention the fact he was wrong since I talked him down because "it wasn't exactly what I was looking for". I got it home and inspected it further. The right exterior panel was loose at the top. The bolts that held the top to the side had broken through the inside of the panel. I used some muscle and squared it back up and installed my own screws into new pilot holes. Before this the top door wouldn't line up to lock, but now is back to square and locks. The units arent affected by the panel. It took a good bit of cleaning but turned out alot better than I had expected. I need to go find a wood paint pen for some touching up on a couple places though. I plugged it in and everything seems to be on the up and up. The tags were still on the drawers on the bottom 2 sections so they may have never been used. The seals on this unit are sweet. You get about 1/2" away from closing and they almost seem to suck themselves shut, then take a good tug to open. Reminiscent of a standard refrigerator and alot better than the newair was. I left it plugged in over night in the garage and checked it this morning. Here in Indy we had snow this morning after 78 this weekend, what the hell. Anyway I felt inside each unit and it seemed to be warm. I need to find my old digitals and order some new ones anyway. So far so good, fingers crossed.

I'm thinking of doing cc's in the top, singles in the middle and nc boxes on bottom. Ordered 1# of heartfelt beads last night as well. Total cubic footage was around 5.1 so I'm hoping that 1# will suffice since it's just a bit over the recommended 5 cu.ft.

Drawers will be the next obstacle. Forrest did my old ones but with this having a different style channel for the drawers I may try to use the existing frame of the wine bottle drawer and tie cedar shelves into that somehow. Still trying to plan that out.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
to top that, you would have to make a walk in out of a panic room
hmmmm... you might be onto something there....

Ive got a "storage" space thats about 15'x4'x6' off of my wifes closet that I had thought about hanging a security door on and reinforcing the walls (honestly, a whole lot cheaper and easier than it sounds) and making a "panic room" out of it....

no reason I couldnt line the inside with spanish cedar.. throw a couple of active humidification units in there.. and call it a walk in.....

hmmmmm........

:)