Concealed Carry- Open discussion

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Allowed in your state? Yup
Do you? Not right now, in the position I am in, currently looking for a job, I:
a)am constantly going to places where I couldn't carry anyways
b)would prefer not to be in any situation that would jeopordize my career before it even starts (I can hear the arguments coming already, no I am not unprotected, I just don't carry a concealed handgun, if you get my meaning :)
Favorite carry position? When I carry, I prefer crotch when wearing a shirt tucked in, hip with loose over shirt or shoot me vest, and chest when wearing a jacket..
Weapon retention, CQ shooting classes you've taken? Aside from academy training, Krav Maga retention training, trained with several IPSC and IDPA masters and grand master, I also shoot with a member of the ATFs SWAT equivilent here in Houston

Andrew

Rating - 100%
15   0   1
Allowed in MS? HEll yes...right to carry state.

DO I..all of the time as well as in any state that I have reciprocity. I also am still a active commisioned law enforcement agent for the county.

Depends on what I am wearing and which firearm I decide to carry. really depends if I am solo or with the wife and kid and the destination of my trip.

Classes.. Marine Corp, MOS 0321, Force Recon Marine. I can shoot better that most ATF/Secret Service.

ps ..you come to MS I will teach you to shoot of fight for Cigars..lol..

Seg...

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My state is "shall issue" and I am licensed. With that and one other non-res license I'm legal in 30 states.

Do I?: I'll answer this here but generally I'm like N2 and don't disclose it. I carry 99% of the time outside of work.

Carry Method: I carry two types of pistols in varius sizes which I switch between depending on weather and other circumstances. I'm very familiar with the actions of both types and have the same brand holster worn in the same position for both. The holster I use is Milt Sparks Versa Max II. It's IWB, canted and positioned at 4:00. I usually conceal with an untucked shirt of jacket. The VMII can also be used as a tuckable.

Classes/Training: I've never had weapons retention training but would like to. I have taken several handgun defense courses near where I live at a range and by an instructor that normally does training for several government agencies. Until recently I got range time in 2 to 3 times a month.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As far as the do I question, wasn't looking for specifics on when and where, just do you take advantage of the law...

Seg, any time you wanna come down to Texas, we can do it right...Shoot for the day, have a huge BBQ afterwards, then drink and smoke till we pass out (after the guns are locked of course)...When were you in the Corps? Our Academy Director was FR in Vietnam....

Andrew

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yes

I took a class at the Personal Protection Institute here in Richmond and used to shoot IDPA regularly. I need to get back into it, its a lot of fun.

And I carry an HK USP 9 C in a NSA II IWB

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yes, no, IDPA is the closest to training I've come other than the basics in ROTC.

Keep meaning to get the license but just haven't gotten around to it. Unfotunately it makes the wife nervous anyway, so not sure how much carrying I would be doing even if I had the license, but I would really like to have the option.

At this point, back hip with loose shirt/jacket over if I was carrying. Would prefer IWB once I loose a few pounds and pick up that type holster.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I'm definitely gonna get one when I'm out of college. One of my relatives is Air Force and has a .38 special he carries around with a laser pointer on it. I don't know how much I'd ever need it here, but if I move anywhere else I'd definitely look into it.

TYLER

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Halon said:
I'm definitely gonna get one when I'm out of college. One of my relatives is Air Force and has a .38 special he carries around with a laser pointer on it. I don't know how much I'd ever need it here, but if I move anywhere else I'd definitely look into it.

TYLER
Laser sight...not laser pointer. :smt018 :smt018 :smt018

:mrgreen:

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
lol. I totally meant to type sight, but thinking of the laser sight made me think of the laser pointer in my desk, and then I started playing with it, and.....

whoops.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nope ... don't carry, don't own and don't need one...

Training.. stacks.. military training.. ak47, ak5, sig were the weapons I got my training on..... I am licenced to own and carry guns but don't.

I know I get my head bashed on this one but anyway.. freedom of speach (applicable) and all that will allow me do stand by my conviction and express them ha ha:

I am a believer in the fact that the less guns there are out there in public.. the less armed robbery, passion murders etc there is in a society...

don't get me wrong guys.. I am not preaching my convictions onto anyone.. just stating them calmly and letting it be with that....and I have to admit.. being a good marksman with an ak5 is quite fun.... and I understand the feeling of holding a gun and knowing how to use it.. so it is merely a difference in societies.. where I'm from, a knife stabbing makes first page headlines...

so the everyday need to carry a gun for self protection is something that I am lucky enough not having to worry about....(touch wood).. and I think that the risk of something happening because I would be carrying is greater then if I don't carry in this society, so I choose not to. Thinks might have been different if I lived elsewere.

Rating - 100%
15   0   1
There are some funny numbers inthe US that different than OZ. In states and cities that guns are not allowed to be carried or you have to jump through so many hoops that it is not worth it, crime is some of the highent inthe US. New York, Baltimore, Philidelphia, etc.

Here is also a town in The Mid west that crime was rising rapantly. There was a mandate by the city council that anyone could carry a concelaed or unconcealed firemarm. Crime dropped to zero over the next two years. Althought the city was a small one with about 45,000 residents is would be an interesting study in a lrger medium, I will try and find the study online and post the link.

Seg..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One last post then it is back to the original topic...

I don't doubt that you have less crime overall.. however, at the same time you have more gun related injuries and deaths... I see a question of..if I have a weapon and get robbed.. do my availability to use a weapon increase or decrease my (and the robbers) chances of getting through that alive? If someone breaks into your house with the knowledge of that you are likely to have a gun.. do you think they are more or less likely to be jumpy in how they use their gun in comparison to places where only 1% or so have a gun at home?

regarding stats.. you can prove whatever you like with stats... very seldom do stats give the full picture... as with the above scenario.. your crime rate may have dropped, but have the medical treatment of gun related crime/accidents increased? .. myself.. I let the robber take what he wants..that is one reason I have home insurance.. to not have to risk my and my family's life..

Ok, back to topic!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I can agree with some of what you say Hawk, but on the "If someone breaks into your house with the knowledge of that you are likely to have a gun.. do you think they are more or less likely to be jumpy in how they use their gun in comparison to places where only 1% or so have a gun at home?"
I think they are less likely to break in if they believe the house they are going into will have a gun. Most home robberies, and I mean MOST, occur with no one home. Robbers don't want confrontation. One reason that the best home defense is a nice large, loud, dog. :)

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
do my availability to use a weapon increase or decrease my (and the robbers) chances of getting through that alive?
That is where the training comes into question Hawk...If you have been properly trained on the whens, wheres, and how tos of your firearm, your chances of survival increase exponentially....However, if you have no idea what you are doing, and you draw a weapon, chances are you are going to cause the situation to turn against you quicker...

If someone breaks into your house with the knowledge of that you are likely to have a gun.. do you think they are more or less likely to be jumpy in how they use their gun
Crooked men, like rivers take the path of least resistance...If have two likely marks, one they have reason to believe is armed, one they have reason to believe is unarmed, they will choose the unarmed mark more often than not.

Andrew

Rating - 100%
15   0   1
Well I will just say this--- as a SF Marine Recon, people fear me. I fear no man. Someone screws with my family they die on my property.

Seg..