What's new

Concealed Carry- Open discussion

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
For myself, as a US citizen, one of the reasons I choose to carry concealed is that I can. I am simply exercising my right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to our Consitution. I'm an average guy of average size and strength. I pose no threat to anyone who poses no threat to me. I don't live in fear that I'll be robbed or attacked, in fact, my lifestyle is pretty tame these days and I rarely find myself in any place or situation where that would be likely to occur.
However, things can and do happen. I am not afraid that my kitchen will catch fire or that my house will be destroyed by a tornado but I keep fire extinguishers around and insurance on my home. I don't fear that I or someone else will be injured in my house, yard or shop but I keep an extensive first aid kit on hand and have an adequate knowledge of emergency medical treatment. In short, I feel that I should prepare myself as best I can for all the things that can happen in life however unlikely they may be. I don't know who wrote it but when it comes to guns I wholeheartedly agree with the statement: "I'd rather carry a gun all my life and never need it, than never carry a gun and need it one time".
As for stastitics, I agree that it's possible to find and/or present them in such a way as to "prove" any position you choose. I can say however that having lived and worked in the Washington DC metropolitan area for 22 years, the violent crime rates of DC and Suburban MD are shocking when compared with Virginia just across the river.
I'm stepping off my soapbox now.
Next!

Cigar_Ben

NiceTightAsh.com
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What Segundo22 said....

I live in Mississippi, but I have a FL CWP because it always me to carry in bunch of other states.

I carry all the time except when I'm at work because I work for a defense contractor on a secure military facility.

I carry either my SIG or Glock in a Milt Sparks EX or in a Roma waist band.

I've trained with the Army, FR&I with Steve Silverman (we shot quals and I passed FBI, US Marshals, ATF and JUST missed Air Marshal) and shot IDPA.

As my online name says, I'm better with a rifle. Just like Quigley. Shot expert for Army so I can hit ya out to 1200 meters. :smile:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I recently read a decent piece about why people from the US and Australia who share very similar beliefs about most things, differ about gun control. It was interesting. I wish like hell I could find it! LOL

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Coastalwader.. the Aussie in general are liberal in regards to gun control.. try Sweden where I'm from... one of the stringest gun control laws there is...

I agree with your reasoning in general Windowrx. I just don't seem to see the logic in my situation to need one.. if I get robbed.. well, I have insurance covering that.. If I get into a fight.. 98% of the population wouldn't be carrying.. as possession of an unlicenced gun is punished very hard.. and the criminals know this.. they also know that the chance of them encounter someone with a gun is next to nothing when doing a break and enter for example, so they choose not to carry since the sentence is about 4 times longer if it is an armed robbery... so the whole situation is somewhat diffused down to a level where both parties survives.

In my house hold, there is nothing they can take that I cannot replace (the insurance is new for old in theft claims) that they would want to take.. I mean.. they are not going to go for my photo albums etc.. and if they want to take my 3 year old TV.. go for it.. I get a brand new one ha ha...

I am very aware of your second ammendment and believe me, I don't preach that you guys are wrong.. far from it. If I lived over there... I probably would be carrying too...

Here, however... even if I legally can.. since no one else really is.. why should I?

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Knives are bad, bad news! I don't care who you are, in a knife fight, chances are damned good you are going to get cut....Me no likey knives (been stabbed twice, cut several times)...Course I do always have one on me...

Andrew

Cigar_Ben

NiceTightAsh.com
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I carry so much shit that if I fell overboard, I'm going straight to the bottom. Bringing a knife to a gun fight is a good idea if its close. You'd be surprised how much distance a person with a knife can make in the time it takes to draw your weapon. But, thats why you learn to fire from retention.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
getting my permit to carry next week... then i will be on the market for a nice .45 ....... or i might raid my dads aresonal and borrow one of his until i make up my mind..

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I don't carry a gun ... unless it's in a locked case and I'm headed to the range. The area where I live is fairly safe and violent crime is low. If I was in a job that required me to haul around valuable items (cash, jewels, precious metals), then I might consider it.

I do own a couple pistols and a rifle, but they are for target shooting with friends. For home defense I have a 12 guage pump shotgun.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
MR, FL=Federal Liscence? Or are you meaning FL=Florida? Cuase if that's the case I'm way off base...I thought Florida was in the $175 range (though that may just be the initial setup). And it's good for something like 5 years...don't remember exactly.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
FLorida Non-Resident is $170 for five years. It's the best deal going for non-resident licenses since they have reciprocity with so many states. You do need a passport type photo, notary and fingerprints done by a local law enforcement agency.