What's new

Concealed or Open carry?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So is dick sucking... just because you can, and its legal, doesnt make it the right choice for most people.... ever...

just sayin..

Well you clearly missed the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Well you clearly missed the point.
I get the point.. its a freedom.. and a God given right..

The counter point however is just because you are free to do something doesnt mean you should, or that it is the right course of action for a given situation..

Exercising your freedom to open carry in most cases (and in most states) in a best case scenario inconveniences both gun owners and non-gun owners alike.. (plenty of stories about people expressing concern publicly, stores asking patrons to leave, etc).. In worst case scenarios it puts the person carrying at a significant tactical disadvantage in almost all of the most common situations where a private citizen might have to defend himself or others.. the reasons its a bad idea in the middle ground between the best case and the worst case scenario are far too vast and many to try to address in a single post..

Then there is the negative PR... no different than the assclowns who insist on packaging cigars with childrens toys or with childrens themes in their marketing that we have talked about in depth here on more than one occasion.. while it might be their right as business owners to market their products any way they want.. and there is no law that prohibits them from doing so.. the general consensus is they do harm to the industry as a whole when they do this... they bring negative attention from the FDA, watchdog groups, and a host of others that would love to see our hobby cease to exist..

Open carrying just for the sake of doing so, to proclaim "Its my right!" essentially makes you the same person.. its draws negative intention from the media, from the general public that dont carry, and from the majority of people that do carry as well.. and serves no purpose other than to stroke your personal ego.. while at the same time has the ability to do harm to others that want to exercise their second amendment rights.. it motivates politicians, media hounds, anti-gunners, etc to take action.. and creates and us vs them environment that those who want to exercise their rights responsibly have to deal with just because the "its my right!" guy wanted to act like a clown..

We're not talking about guys standing outside of military recruiting stations openly armed.. or some dude working on a ranch in rural Arizona that has his 1911 strapped to his hip.. there are obvious exceptions where open carry makes sense, and the local culture is accepting of it.. in most cases however, it is a bad choice, and harms other gun owners when it is done... (most, if not all of Minnesota likely falls into the bad choice category)

If doing harm to other gun owners is your intent.. by all means.. exercise that right (in the wrong way)..

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wow, tensions are flying on this thread.
My thought on the whole thing. Concealed.
It just makes sense, and if open carry were legal here in Philly, it would be a shit show. There really is no need to ADVERTISE. Has open carry ever stopped a "bad guy" from opening fire and doing as he/she already intended? Not really. We see that when fools open fire on police, and police are always armed here in the US.
As for the debate on places refusing to allow weapons on premise, cops being the exception, it is their choice. I doubt they'll miss the business of someone who refuses to frequent them due to said rule.
Now I know my speaking my mind will erupt the tempers of some people, but such is life. I do respect everyone's opinions, so let's not make any of this personal.
Good news for me? Nobody can shoot at me through the computer screen! :stop:(y):cigar:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I get the point.. its a freedom.. and a God given right..

The counter point however is just because you are free to do something doesnt mean you should, or that it is the right course of action for a given situation..

Exercising your freedom to open carry in most cases (and in most states) in a best case scenario inconveniences both gun owners and non-gun owners alike.. (plenty of stories about people expressing concern publicly, stores asking patrons to leave, etc).. In worst case scenarios it puts the person carrying at a significant tactical disadvantage in almost all of the most common situations where a private citizen might have to defend himself or others.. the reasons its a bad idea in the middle ground between the best case and the worst case scenario are far too vast and many to try to address in a single post..

Then there is the negative PR... no different than the assclowns who insist on packaging cigars with childrens toys or with childrens themes in their marketing that we have talked about in depth here on more than one occasion.. while it might be their right as business owners to market their products any way they want.. and there is no law that prohibits them from doing so.. the general consensus is they do harm to the industry as a whole when they do this... they bring negative attention from the FDA, watchdog groups, and a host of others that would love to see our hobby cease to exist..

Open carrying just for the sake of doing so, to proclaim "Its my right!" essentially makes you the same person.. its draws negative intention from the media, from the general public that dont carry, and from the majority of people that do carry as well.. and serves no purpose other than to stroke your personal ego.. while at the same time has the ability to do harm to others that want to exercise their second amendment rights.. it motivates politicians, media hounds, anti-gunners, etc to take action.. and creates and us vs them environment that those who want to exercise their rights responsibly have to deal with just because the "its my right!" guy wanted to act like a clown..

We're not talking about guys standing outside of military recruiting stations openly armed.. or some dude working on a ranch in rural Arizona that has his 1911 strapped to his hip.. there are obvious exceptions where open carry makes sense, and the local culture is accepting of it.. in most cases however, it is a bad choice, and harms other gun owners when it is done... (most, if not all of Minnesota likely falls into the bad choice category)

If doing harm to other gun owners is your intent.. by all means.. exercise that right (in the wrong way)..
Yep, I whole heartedly agree, and why I don't open carry. My point wasn't that people should but it's not my place to tell someone how to exercise their right. Was just playing devils advocate.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
As for the debate on places refusing to allow weapons on premise, cops being the exception, I doubt they'll miss the business of someone who refuses to frequent them due to said rule.
I am clearly a very strong proponent of the 2nd amendment.. and have carried almost every day of my life for the past 25+ years both professionally and as a private citizem...

but..

I also strongly support a business being able to refuse weapons on premise..

Me exercising my rights should never infringe upon the rights of others..

If they have made the conscious decision as a business owner to not allow weapons on their property.. its their right to do so.. Its my right to decide if I want to eat/shop/spend there or go somewhere else.. I shouldnt be allowed to force myself upon their business any more than they should be allowed to force me to buy from them..

There are plenty of businesses I refuse to give my money to because they try to force their personal beliefs or values down my throat rather than simply allow me to shop there.. and Im ok with that..

Same thing goes with guns... dont want my business? no problem.. someone does.. so.. thats where Ill go eat/shop/buy.. enjoy your life... and Ill enjoy mine..

Last edited:

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I am clearly a very strong proponent of the 2nd amendment.. and have carried almost every day of my life for the past 25+ years both professionally and as a private citizem...

but..

If they have made the conscious decision as a business owner to not allow weapons on their property.. its their right to do so.. Its my right to decide if I want to eat/shop/spend there or go somewhere else.. I shouldnt be allowed to force myself upon their business any more than they should be allowed to force me to buy from them..

There are plenty of businesses I refuse to give my money to because they try to force their personal beliefs or values down my throat rather than simply allow me to shop there.. and Im ok with that..

Starbucks got added to that list a few months ago when their CEO blatantly told shareholders if they didnt support gay marriage, they needed to sell their stock..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2013/03/22/howard-schultz-to-anti-gay-marriage-starbucks-shareholder-you-can-sell-your-shares/

Ill never shop there again..

Frankly, I dont care if someone is gay or straight.. its not my business.. but, if you as a business owner tell me to either get on board and believe what you do, or else... I am more than happy to take my business elsewhere.. Its not about being angry... Im not angry at all.. its about you made a decision.. and now I will..

Will me not buying a Cafe Mocha about once every 6 weeks send Starbucks into financial ruin? Certainly not.. but.. its not about the money... its about Starbucks trying to tell me what to believe or support..

Same thing goes with guns... dont want my business? no problem.. someone does.. so.. thats where Ill go eat/shop/buy.. enjoy your life... and Ill enjoy mine..
Fair enough, Dave.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

but..

Very well said.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm not positive about the rest of the country but here in Florida those "No gun" signs on businesses hold no legal weight. You will only have a problem if they ask you to leave and then you don't. Then it's felony trespassing. So unless it's a federal building or another place clearly specified in the Florida state statues that prohibits weapons, I do it anyway. Concealed means concealed.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I always conceal. I don't have to, but I think almost everyone would look at me funny if I didn't. I think most guys go around concealed.... even though you can literally have it hanging out or take it out and handle it in public and there's no law against it anymore....at least I haven't been arrested for it..... (even though I always conceal in public)

Wait, was this about guns?

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I always conceal. I don't have to, but I think almost everyone would look at me funny if I didn't. I think most guys go around concealed.... even though you can literally have it hanging out or take it out and handle it in public and there's no law against it anymore....at least I haven't been arrested for it..... (even though I always conceal in public)

Wait, was this about guns?
Hahahahaha, that's what got Pee Wee Herman busted back in the day!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Yep, I whole heartedly agree, and why I don't open carry. My point wasn't that people should but it's not my place to tell someone how to exercise their right.
Except perhaps it is. As advocates of whatever freedom we enjoy, it's our job to have the discussion and try to convince others of a better way.

I hate that we live in a society where people are incapable of having a debate without taking personal offense (not saying you're going that at all!). People just want to jump straight to "agree to disagree" which is really just a means of not having to really think through your own position or be challenged in it.

We've raised a generation of people too sensitive to have their beliefs challenged, and too stupid to defend them. And the older generations in large part seem happy to acquiesce.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: Wasn't talking about anyone in this thread, just my interactions with people in general.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Except perhaps it is. As advocates of whatever freedom we enjoy, it's our job to have the discussion and try to convince others of the better way.

I hate that we live in a society where people are incapable of having a debate without taking personal offense (not saying you're going that at all!). People just want to "agree to disagree" which is just a means of not having to really think through your own position or be challenged in it.

We've raised a generation of people too sensitive to have their beliefs challenged, and too stupid to defend them.
Sure. I advocate for CC but I'm not going to go out of my way to tell someone who is open carrying why they are wrong, in the same way I don't need someone to tell me why CCing is wrong in their opinion. Like I said, I was playing devils advocate in comparing that same argument is used for people to justify why they believe it is stupid to CC. If it's legal it's your choice, period. And in all honesty I'm with Ted Nugent, the 2nd amendment is my permit to carry, period. Unfortunately that's not how the powers that be see it.

ChipS

Chip
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
In CO once I got my CCW it was concealed only. My understanding of the state laws was that open carrying once you had your permit was grounds for a brandishing charge. However, if that law didn't apply I would have open carried in the back country for quick access and concealed in town.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
In CO once I got my CCW it was concealed only. My understanding of the state laws was that open carrying once you had your permit was grounds for a brandishing charge. However, if that law didn't apply I would have open carried in the back country for quick access and concealed in town.
CO is an open carry state. Open carrying after being issued a CCW permit is not brandishing. That being said I see no point in open carrying in populated areas if you have a permit.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Texas, open carry will be permitted started Jan 1. For those of you in states with the options, do you open carry or carry concealed? For those in Texas, will you continue to carry concealed or start to open carry?

Just curious and interested in your reasons.
Well being in the Nanny State of California, and once having a CCW, I prefer concealed as to not attract any attention... keep the bad guys guessing ya know! That way also, all the tree-huggin' peeps don't freak out... smh.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Well being in the Nanny State of California, and once having a CCW, I prefer concealed as to not attract any attention... keep the bad guys guessing ya know! That way also, all the tree-huggin' peeps don't freak out... smh.
Trees help keep us alive bro! We should all be hugging them as a way of saying thanks.