What's new

Considering a Cigar/Wine Cooler

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are food grade silicone sealants if you want to go that far. I believe I used a piece of Saran Wrap so I can unplug to change the wire or route additional wire if I want to put in Disco lights or something.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Perhaps, if needed, a bung from one my fermenters might do the trick. If not, my local homebrew shop might have something that’ll fit. Seems like if I plug the hole, I’m more likely to have condensation. If it’s unplugged, maybe less likely. Then again, like Jakethesnake, I might not even plug it in until the Texas heat comes in Summer (although we had an 80-degree Christmas....)

Im leaning toward the Audew 300, and it seems a couple of you have that particular unit. Texican and Jakethesnake. I want to store my cigars loose, and with no cello. So I will probably buy or make some cigar trays to put on those shelves. I can probably find the measurements of each shelf online but, if possible, could you let me know the distance BETWEEN each shelf’, from top of one to the bottom of the next higher? And maybe distance between each shelf’s groove? One more thing, will a magnet stick to the inner walls? I’ve got some cedar Boveda holders that would be cool to attach, if the magnets will stick to the inner walls. Don’t know if the walls plastic or metal.

Once again, I really appreciate all of your willingness to reply to a guy who asks way too many questions, as I always do, and hope everyone has a great New Year!
Jackson

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Perhaps, if needed, a bung from one my fermenters might do the trick. If not, my local homebrew shop might have something that’ll fit. Seems like if I plug the hole, I’m more likely to have condensation. If it’s unplugged, maybe less likely. Then again, like Jakethesnake, I might not even plug it in until the Texas heat comes in Summer (although we had an 80-degree Christmas....)

Im leaning toward the Audew 300, and it seems a couple of you have that particular unit. Texican and Jakethesnake. I want to store my cigars loose, and with no cello. So I will probably buy or make some cigar trays to put on those shelves. I can probably find the measurements of each shelf online but, if possible, could you let me know the distance BETWEEN each shelf’, from top of one to the bottom of the next higher? And maybe distance between each shelf’s groove? One more thing, will a magnet stick to the inner walls? I’ve got some cedar Boveda holders that would be cool to attach, if the magnets will stick to the inner walls. Don’t know if the walls plastic or metal.

Once again, I really appreciate all of your willingness to reply to a guy who asks way too many questions, as I always do, and hope everyone has a great New Year!
Jackson
Looks like it is right around 3" between grooves and just a hair over 3.75" from top of one shelf to bottom of next. Magnets don't stick on the inside and with regard to shelves, thankfully the same ones I used in my tupperdors fit in there perfectly.

Mantello Spanish Cedar Cigar Tray, Adjustable Divider, Fits Large Humidors, for Humidor or Walk-in Closet 12.5" x 7.5"x 2.25" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079V3KYT7/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_C75ZHZS01ZKHTGTE71BF

Edit: I also ordered a couple of empty cigar boxes to stash in there and store sticks...though these trays hold a lot more, obviously. Also, the larger shelf that it comes with (the one with the hygrometer in it) is quite handy for holding loose sticks.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Also remember that when it comes to storage everyone thinks "the small one" will be big enough. It never is!
Of that I’ve always been conscious, indeed haha! According to the measurements kindly provided by Texican, if the Mantello trays would potentially fit cigars end-to-end (I don’t have a lot of Churchill’s, only a handful of T52 double Coronas), I might be able to make the Audew 300 work. Really wish I could afford more like a “500-capacity” cooler, so I could easily fit 300 in. At the moment I’ve got around 225, and most of my CC’s are Bolivar petites or Monte #4’s. If some of my sticks need to go in a different box it’s fine. I have a box I could store overflow, a box for dry-boxing, a box for conditioning new sticks, and an extra one.... for whatever. Or maybe I could start researching the Schmécké 400-cigar cooler haha.

Round and round I go, again.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wow, just stumbled upon this website.
Custom wineadore shelves and drawers for most of the major models, including some with custom facing and vented sides/back. This could turn a “300-capacity cooler” into a truly 300-capacity cooler,if not more, with that option of utilizing most of the space. Of course, humidity would suffer if it’s stuffed absolutely full, but I think this would give some great options!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Wow, just stumbled upon this website.
Custom wineadore shelves and drawers for most of the major models, including some with custom facing and vented sides/back. This could turn a “300-capacity cooler” into a truly 300-capacity cooler,if not more, with that option of utilizing most of the space. Of course, humidity would suffer if it’s stuffed absolutely full, but I think this would give some great options!
I have never dealt with Forrest, but have read several comments/threads about his shelves. Consensus seems to be that he does excellent work, but lacks communication and getting product out when promised after accepting full payment for the product. Just do your homework about what you can expect if you place an order.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If when I do it again I’d build one out of a wine fridge. Just to make it larger. Only real complaint I have I do like the audew looks nice
Another idea I had was simple... A 30-bottle (or so) thermoelectric wine cooler, replacing the wine racks with hardwood shelves, and Mantello trays sitting on them. Simple, rustic, and functional. That would definitely make more size affordable.
EDIT: Thermoelectric or compressor would probably be fine. Don’t know why I said that.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Compressor would definetly make it harder to maintain humidity. A compressor unit runs colder pulling more humidity out of the unit. I have my refrigerators set at 61 degrees and I need to use weather proof tupperdoors to keep my humidity steady. My thermoelectric is set at 61 degrees and I run fine with cigars sitting on the shelves.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Another idea I had was simple... A 30-bottle (or so) thermoelectric wine cooler, replacing the wine racks with hardwood shelves, and Mantello trays sitting on them. Simple, rustic, and functional. That would definitely make more size affordable.
EDIT: Thermoelectric or compressor would probably be fine. Don’t know why I said that.
I use a 170 bottle compressor type and I don't even have it plugged in. No need. We keep the house 70-73f year round. I have used it for about 6 years without any problems and it maintains temp and Rh without concern. Takes me about 5 minutes a year to maintain using silica kitty litter for humidity control.

You can pick up a great deal if you keep an eye on your local CL. Just a thought!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never dealt with Forrest, but have read several comments/threads about his shelves. Consensus seems to be that he does excellent work, but lacks communication and getting product out when promised after accepting full payment for the product. Just do your homework about what you can expect if you place an order.
Smokey is right. The cigars subreddit is hit a couple times a week with folks who have purchased from the wineadors site and then gone several months to nearly a year without any updates or responses. Search around for reviews and be prepared to wait longer than advertised.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Compressor would definetly make it harder to maintain humidity. A compressor unit runs colder pulling more humidity out of the unit. I have my refrigerators set at 61 degrees and I need to use weather proof tupperdoors to keep my humidity steady. My thermoelectric is set at 61 degrees and I run fine with cigars sitting on the shelves.
This is what I have realized after reading for an hour or so after my previous comment. Bummed, because I can’t seem to find a thermoelectric that is very large. Acrylic humidor, or tupperdor, inside a compressor cooler might be where I go.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I use a 170 bottle compressor type and I don't even have it plugged in. No need. We keep the house 70-73f year round. I have used it for about 6 years without any problems and it maintains temp and Rh without concern. Takes me about 5 minutes a year to maintain using silica kitty litter for humidity control.

You can pick up a great deal if you keep an eye on your local CL. Just a thought!
The room where it’ll be sometimes reaches 75 in the Summer, and I would worry about the dreaded beetles. During the Fall and Winter it won’t be problematic at all. If my rh is around 67, or lower, and temp is 75, aren’t beetles still a concern? I’ve never had ‘em and if I did, I’m afraid to imagine what words my 4-year-old would learn.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The room where it’ll be sometimes reaches 75 in the Summer, and I would worry about the dreaded beetles. During the Fall and Winter it won’t be problematic at all. If my rh is around 67, or lower, and temp is 75, aren’t beetles still a concern? I’ve never had ‘em and if I did, I’m afraid to imagine what words my 4-year-old would learn.
For some peace of mind, you can freeze your cigars to kill any eggs. I used to do it early on to all cigars before adding them to the general population. These days I think most if not all major marcas may do this before shipping to market, except the Cubans. Not sure about them.
Something else to consider is most cigars are from tropical areas around the world. Heat and humidity is the norm in these countries. They grow, harvest, dry, age and roll the tobacco in these tropical conditions. I would think if there were beetle eggs, they would likely hatch in those conditions. And then we buy them and worry about beetle eggs. Sure, it can and does happen, but I don't think it's nearly as widespread and threatening as we sometimes imagine it to be. Freezing is easy to do (read up on it) and it has zero negative effect on the cigars that I have found. I am also no expert, so do what makes you feel comfortable and neccesary.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Bumping my own thread, and as you can see, I changed the name of the thread.

After a few days’ thought while traveling, I have decided on a larger wine fridge that I just won’t plug in. With 12x7 Spanish cedar trays and proper stacking, I should be good on space. Wondering, if anyone has one with “wooden” shelves, what kind of wood is used in wine fridge shelving? I’m assuming not cedar, and probably is some kind of wood I don’t want to subject to 66% rh. If I get one with wire racks, I’ll just replace the racks with Spanish cedar planks 15.5” long, from wall to wall inside the cabinet, and trays on top of the planks. I don’t see any major issues. Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is exactly what I’d do.
I’ve been going to get a used unit to convert but then I’ll pile it full of cigars and still have overstock. I figure if I leave storage as is maybe I’ll smoke yo some of what I have

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I got a cheap Insignia 29-bottle cooler from BB, brought it home yesterday. I had read terrible reviews about dents and doors not closing, but this unit seems fine. The plastic smell was there so I first washed it last night with Dawn dish soap and distilled water, just a mild solution but enough for bubbles. Then I wiped it out with distilled water. I then scrubbed the surfaces with a paper towel doused in distilled vinegar, all over. I let it sit like that for half an hour, door open, and then wiped the vinegar off with distilled water. I let it sit with the door open overnight, in the garage. This morning I closed the door for an hour or so and came back to check. No plastic smell yet. Maybe I’ll keep the door closed and check back in a couple hours, but I think I’m going to throw the racks back in and put my cedar trays in to season. I forgot to wipe the racks down too, but hopefully they didn’t take on too much plastic smell because they’re metal. (Thoughts on that?) Later I’ll be buying Spanish cedar planks from Rockler, and I’ll season those then replace the wire racks.

We’ll see it goes, but so far so good!

Last edited: