What's new

Contest: Favorite Zeppelin tune

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Man, this is not easy. At all!
But, sentimental memories bring to mind "Ramble On." I was 15 and working at a gas station with some older guys. One guy, Jerry, is a senior in high school and had friends at Bloomsburg (a PA university). He takes me up there for my first experience, this is back in '93, of a "real" party. Beer, girls, pot, loud music, and NO COPS. I got hammered, made out with a couple girls and thought I was the man, chugged beers, and then puked.
We hit up a pizza place to get our shit together, and as I'm housing some amazing pizza on comes "Ramble On."
I'd been into Zeppelin for a few years b/c of my Dad, but the timing of this song just set it off as something epic at that point in time. I felt Paige's guitar and Plant's vocals just ripping out a good time, kind of echoing the time I had that evening. It was just different, 15 and feeling like you took another step towards being independent. Haha, what did I know!
So, the culmination of events leading to hearing that song make it stand out in my mind.
Cool story. Keep them coming. Love Ramble on

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ledzeppelin/carouselambra.html

ALL OF THE ZEP ALL OF IT

Man,..... did plenty of ____ listening to "the rover"

Some people will get this ... some will not..

One version : Recording Acoustic outside in Mick Jaggers' Garden. ( quite possible , time frame and logistically )
A propeller-driven plane flew overhead as the recording reels were rolling for "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp". At the beginning of the track, sound engineer Eddie Kramer can be heard saying, "Don't want to get this airplane on," to which Robert Plant replies "Nah, leave it, yeah."

Another version : A simple audio recording of dialogue between ( unidentified), Pagey, and Plant) while sitting on a runway.
( also quite likely, since the audio of the plane appears quite close, and at steady idle. )
Shall we roll it Jimmy?
We're rolling on, uh, one? two ?
No, one again
Gotta get this airplane off the ground
Not even yet.

goin
goin to Chicago
goin ta Chicago
sorry babe, I can't take you along
goin down

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I vote for number 1. Course, I've read the book…
Although I'll interject a revision. Said "na, leave it ,ya" is jimmy page. He was or is the total control freak. That's what I vote for. Unless my memory serves me wrong. It was, after all, HIS band…

Last edited:

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
Good contest, Robert. I'm going with When the Levee Breaks...I always loved cranking that tune in my '68 Impala. It just has a bad-ass sound to it; really gives you the sense that bad things are about to happen...
Bingo. The BEST Zep song is when the Levee Breaks. Hands down, times 50. ESPECIALLY if you get the remastered records. You can actually (FINALLY) hear John Paul Jones. No other song comes close.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Over the hills and far away - it was the first Zeppelin song I learned on guitar and its still one of my favorites because its fun to play.
Gallows Pole - 2nd Zeppelin song I learned how to play and just an awesome song.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Over the hills and far away - it was the first Zeppelin song I learned on guitar and its still one of my favorites because its fun to play.
Gallows Pole - 2nd Zeppelin song I learned how to play and just an awesome song.
Gallows Pole is one killer tune!!!

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Damn sure is. I think it gets overlooked a lot.
I really dig the lyrics. That's one cold-blooded SOB right there. I've haven't heard it on the radio since the old album rock days where they'd play the whole side of an album on air.
Showing my age with that one

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My favorites are (not in any particular order)
Ten Years Gone
The Rain Song
The Song Remains the Same
White Summer/ Black Mountain Side- the uncut 7 minute version
Bron-Y-Aur
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Achilles Last Stand
That's the way
I've actually instructed my wife to play Bron-Y-Aur at my funeral. Page's acoustical pieces, both 6 and 12 string, are some of the most beautiful guitar pieces I've ever heard.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The songs I don't care for, out of their entire catalog,could probably be counted on one hand.
Carouselambra
I'm gonna crawl
Are two that immediately come to mind