What's new

Converting a closet into a humidor (Completed)

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I will be converting this closet that is in my guest quarters into a small walk in humidor over the next couple weeks. The size is 6' x 6' wide x 9' high. Today I placed the order for the cedar, which was the last part needed as everything else has arrived for the conversion. Had to wait for the guy to get more cedar in for the shelving. So hopefully come next weekend the cedar will be going in and if all goes according to plan it should be finished by the 28th. It will be covered with cedar 1/4" ply on the walls and ceiling, will have cedar crown molding, baseboards and casing around the door along with 12 shelves, 6 on the wall when looking into it and 6 on the right. The left will not have any shelves. Underneath the shelves when looking into will be my old vinos that currently hold some of my stash and will be converted back into their intended use, holding wine. I had been investigating costs of getting a cabinet, but in the end converting this closet was about half the price and afforded probably 4x the amount of space a cabinet could.

Last edited:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So I had read a post about the many thoughts and strategies about such things as vapor barriers, types of sealants, correct types of insulation, and many other things regarding the spaces between the outside of the house, and the cedar lining.

The thread had literally dozens of opinions, each one seeming to be the ONLY way to do it, lest your entire collection be doomed!

Were you able to avoid this?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Man that's quite a project! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I don't know a lick about construction but it amazes me that something like this will be cheaper than getting a cabinet. I too have seen lots of posts with different strategies and am fascinated by the variety of approaches people take. I'm interested in seeing what direction you go in and how it will be laid out. It's especially cool because I don't think I will ever have enough smokes to fill a cabinet let alone a walk-in. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Of course I will be using the Accumonitor purchased from you Ron! :) I am plumbing in a RO system that will feed only the humidifier. The location of the closet is inside the bathroom of this area, so the bath sink is on a wall that shares a wall with the closet. The RO system will be mounted under the sink and plumb through the wall into the humidifier, which will be outfitted with a float for auto fill purposes. No need to purchase distilled water this way and was relatively cheap. 5 stage RO system with the float needed was only $160 shipped. They use these systems for reef setups, which works out perfect for this setup.

As for vapor barrier, etc. after an extensive search on the internet and questioning a couple local B&Ms how they did theirs and also the company that sold me the cedar who also builds humidors for shops, I am just going with 2 coats of BIN primer and a couple coats of mildew resistant paint, then the cedar on top. If this was a new install i.e. a new room then I probably would have went with the green board/cement board as a precaution, but everyone I have talked to says it isn't needed.

As for cooling, this closet is located in a room that I use as my office, which I keep at 70-72, so I don't think I will need any further cooling, but if the need arises then I can always run a duct into the closet as this room has its own HVAC system that only feeds 500sf. I personally don't think I will need it, but this summer will be the true test. Since it will be constantly humidified I don't think the little bit of dryness that comes with A/C air will have much affect on the room as far as dropping the humidity much.

It is a little out of my building skills that I have done before, but nothing that I don't think I can't handle. When looking at it the hardest part will be cutting the crown and baseboards at the proper angles and then the routing of the hinges for the new door. Both of which I have never done, but look fairly simple enough. I have most of the tools needed, just never needed to do this things before.

Total cost is around $2800-$3000. I went over board on some things like the RO system, crown, baseboards, etc made from cedar, but in the end I think they will finish the room off nicely. Should have completed pics up by end of the month.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Vegan - very cool of you to share... this project is almost identical to what I have been considering... looking forward to updates!

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Hey Vegan, could you shoot me the link for the RO system. Also just a few thoughts, if you want to do the AC vent I would highly recommend installing an electric damper. It helps on losing humidity and also prevents mold growth deeper inside your duct work.

Is the humidor on an outside wall?

I finally decided to stick with our original idea of green board and so on. I finally got a chance to speak with a somewhat expert on the vapor barrier subject (Lead TVA Inspector). He said that the vapor barrier wouldn't be needed as long as the proper precautions were taken. Green board, primer, so on. He strongly advised on not building it against an outside wall. If you have too, add extra insulation on that wall because it will have the highest temperature swings.

I hope that info helps out some. As always you’re always welcome to bounce ideas off me.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Sounds like it will be awesome!

Best of luck on the construction, and please post ongoing pics so we can all follow along at home!

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... Today I placed the order for the cedar, which was the last part needed as everything else has arrived for the conversion. Had to wait for the guy to get more cedar in for the shelving...
I'm sure you know this, but you can't use regular cedar for this. It has to be Spanish Cedar, which is actually a variety of mahogany. Regular cedar has way too strong an odor.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I'm sure you know this, but you can't use regular cedar for this. It has to be Spanish Cedar, which is actually a variety of mahogany. Regular cedar has way too strong an odor.

He is using the really good Aromatic Cedar. So there won't be a problem at all.:eyepoke:

Just Joking. He went with the same place I did they build humidors for a living so he should be good :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the thread title and was starting to get worried about you James.

Then I opened it and discovered it was about a walk in humidor. *whew*

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The crown can be a tricky cut. but if you have a good saw it shouldn't be too bad.

We used this saw

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-gcm12sd-12-in-dual-bevel-glide-miter-saw/bshngcm12sd,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=bosch-saws

on this stand

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-gta3800-folding-leg-miter-saw-stand/bshngta3800,default,pd.html?start=11&cgid=bosch-attachments

Maybe there is an equipment rental place nearby so you don't spend another G on the tools.

Home depot sells a hinge rounter guide that is quite easy to use.