What's new

Converting a closet into a humidor (Completed)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Dang! What a great idea. I've got a perfect closet for this in the basement... it's small and triangular, so not much else will fit in it. It stays about 68 all year round... yeah... a tray of beads and a small fan... line the walls with cedar... oh, hell yeah!

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Dang! What a great idea. I've got a perfect closet for this in the basement... it's small and triangular, so not much else will fit in it. It stays about 68 all year round... yeah... a tray of beads and a small fan... line the walls with cedar... oh, hell yeah!
You wouldn't even need cedar. Honestly from everyone I talked to, cedar isn't a necessity, more of an appearance factor than anything. I've been in numerous stores that didn't have cedar humis and the sticks were fine. As long as they are keeping it at a decent temp/humidity that is what really matters. There are some that only use cedar shelving and some that use cedar walls and glass shelving. For the most part you keep your sticks in cedar boxes and trays, that probably matters more than anything else. In my case I wanted something more aesthetically pleasing to the eye as I will be keeping my cigars in there and wine in vinos. So it made a little more sense to do it all the way as we plan on being in this house for the next 10-20 years, hopefully. :)

Rating - 100%
59   0   2
looks like a fun project cant wait to do something like this in the future have fun need more pics when you get them

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Here are a couple of updated pictures. Everything went pretty smoothly with the exception of the crown molding installation. Unfortunately my closet walls must not have been square as even after measuring and cutting multiple times, the crown corners never matched up correctly. Tomorrow the shelves will go up and then I will work on the door and installing the RO system, humidifier and Accumonitor over the weekend. Once its all done, I will do a complete write up and supply a build list in the thread as numerous people have asked for one.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Sorry to hear about the crown. Walls are rarely ever 90 degrees. Coping crown molding is a good alternative in instances where you can't caulk. It's coming along beautifully otherwise! I'm envious of your future storage space!

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Here is another updated picture. Shelves are in and the door is on. Just have to paint the door, trim the wall switch plates, mount the reverse osmosis system and then it will be done. I will start humidifying it tonight, but have to wait for a couple parts to arrive for the ro system before that is complete.