What's new

Converting attic into cigar lounge

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anybody smoke in their attic? Pros/cons/thoughts?

My attic is fairly large and might make a great smoking area in the house, with hopes the smell doesn’t roam. Wondering if anybody can give some advice as to what I should do to try to seal it off.

It’s a pull down, so i’d have to figure out someway to pull the ladder up when i’m up there (and back down so i don’t trap myself lol)

Damn new jersey cold really put a dent in my smoking, wish I had an extra room to smoke in dammit!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are so many things to consider before anyone can give you any realistic advice. If you have a pull down I assume the space isn't finished so first thing is you'll have to deck in a section Once you have a sealed area do you have the ability to heat and cool it, how about ventilation? Or are you just going to climb up there once in a while, move the blow in insulation over andtry to grab a smoke?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, actually. My attic is finished into two rooms. I use the one at the front of the house, partially finished (insulated, some drywall but it's a work in progress). My son uses the other (larger of the two) room for his bedroom. I use two air filter machines, and a window fan when the smoke gets heavy. I went off the theory that heat and smoke rise. The room is not tied into the hvac. Pretty warm in the summer, but the fans help with that. This time of year, it's pretty comfortable with no supplemental heat. It is accessed via a full stairway with a door at the bottom., no pull-down The room at times has some lingering smoke, but it does not permeate into the rest of the house. BTW I live in western PA.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it a finished attic? The smell would be hard to really contain from going into the house but it could be somewhat controlled if you suck it all out as it builds up ... you’d be sucking in some awfully cold air in the winter tho
it’s not totally finished, would need insulation in the rafters, drywall or panels. no vents or anything up which makes me think the smell wouldn’t roam as much. has electric and two small windows.

maybe one of those rabbit filter would be helpful.

i wouldn’t be able to afford to totally refinish it, as cool as that would look. i’m getting hitched and we’ll im sure most can predict how that goes :cry:

definitely would put a hammock up there, damn that sounds nice ....

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
it’s not totally finished, would need insulation in the rafters, drywall or panels. no vents or anything up which makes me think the smell wouldn’t roam as much. has electric and two small windows.

maybe one of those rabbit filter would be helpful.

i wouldn’t be able to afford to totally refinish it, as cool as that would look. i’m getting hitched and we’ll im sure most can predict how that goes :cry:

definitely would put a hammock up there, damn that sounds nice ....
The rabbitair system is booty. Plenty of others for a lot less. Or you can do an exhaust system as well

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do, actually. My attic is finished into two rooms. I use the one at the front of the house, partially finished (insulated, some drywall but it's a work in progress). My son uses the other (larger of the two) room for his bedroom. I use two air filter machines, and a window fan when the smoke gets heavy. I went off the theory that heat and smoke rise. The room is not tied into the hvac. Pretty warm in the summer, but the fans help with that. This time of year, it's pretty comfortable with no supplemental heat. It is accessed via a full stairway with a door at the bottom., no pull-down The room at times has some lingering smoke, but it does not permeate into the rest of the house. BTW I live in western PA.
yes this is exactly what i’m thinking. glad to hear it doesn’t really go into your home, my fiancé wouldn’t be happy with that.

what type of air filters do you use ?

summer id definitely roast up there, winter/fall months surprisingly it doesn’t get too cold either.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are so many things to consider before anyone can give you any realistic advice. If you have a pull down I assume the space isn't finished so first thing is you'll have to deck in a section Once you have a sealed area do you have the ability to heat and cool it, how about ventilation? Or are you just going to climb up there once in a while, move the blow in insulation over andtry to grab a smoke?
not completely finished. has decking and insulation underneath. would need it in the rafters and some drywall or panels.

no vents up there, wouldn’t be able to heat or cool it.

i’d like to make a space for myself, make it comfortable without spending an arm and leg. lmao and no wouldn’t want to smoke with some blow in stuck in my ass crack.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know members of the forum have posted pictures of small pop up shelters with lawn chairs, a coffee pot and a heater. They seem to do pretty well even in the snow!
heck yeah i saw somebody with a small tent lol. different strokes for different folks brother , might be a good plan B

if i could utilize the space without the lady bitching i’d rather do that. ill just have to test it out and see how bad the smoke smell is

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, when I was a kid I tried smoking dope in my attic with pretty much the same setup. Really not worth the trouble, mom found out anyways. Maybe it was the uncontrolled laughter or me stumbling down the ladder or she could smell it through the AC vents in the ceilings she busted me none the less.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Never underestimate the ability of smoke to wander around. I smoke out in the attached garage. Everything is sealed up (apparently not), there are no vents or anything and still you can smell smoke in the basement of the house. Smoke finds a way.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never underestimate the ability of smoke to wander around. I smoke out in the attached garage. Everything is sealed up (apparently not), there are no vents or anything and still you can smell smoke in the basement of the house. Smoke finds a way.
true that brother it sure does, i know no matter what it will slightly smell, there is no getting around smoking indoors without oder somehow spreading, plan is to keep it too a minimal and trying my best to keep it from really sticking permanently

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, when I was a kid I tried smoking dope in my attic with pretty much the same setup. Really not worth the trouble, mom found out anyways. Maybe it was the uncontrolled laughter or me stumbling down the ladder or she could smell it through the AC vents in the ceilings she busted me none the less.
lmao!! at that age we think our parents know nothing and we thought we were so slick. my mom always told me “whatever you think i don’t know, i already forgot about”

luckily my mom was one of those that always fall asleep on the couch downstairs, i used to hang my ass out the window upstairs and hit my pipe and the blow the smoke up. or the good ol’ bathroom, shower, and blow smoke into the fart vent. lmao

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just some before photos for anybody that has any suggestions or whatever, i will keep this thread for progress photos

i forgot about the attic fan, shit might just turn that on and smoke underneath it lmao.

it was nice and toasty up there also!

any suggestions for closing the ladder and opening it while up there. don’t want to S.O.S for the woman :writer:CAD13827-D4F8-49E0-BE7D-00BF81B30902.jpeg E3A04754-A540-4698-A682-918BFEEB85E4.jpeg 0B16EB66-22A8-4955-8989-D0AB641786EF.jpeg B8129C91-FDAA-40DF-8B01-C38DA3FD4BB0.jpeg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just some before photos for anybody that has any suggestions or whatever, i will keep this thread for progress photos

i forgot about the attic fan, shit might just turn that on and smoke underneath it lmao.

it was nice and toasty up there also!

any suggestions for closing the ladder and opening it while up there. don’t want to S.O.S for the woman :writer:View attachment 109027 View attachment 109029 View attachment 109030 View attachment 109028
That could be a badass lounge area.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Holmes I picked up at WalMart, and a larger Hunter from Home Depot. Keep the filters clean. It does have two decent sized windows. Wife and I both smoke cigarettes as well. Like I said before, you can detect the odor of smoke in this room, but there is no smell in the rest of the house. The floor of my attic is not insulated, so the heat from the downstairs keeps it pretty comfortable up there this time of year. My insulation and dry wall are along the roof and the knee walls, and on the only exterior wall. The rest of the attic is finished in the same manner.

Did I see a roof fan? If so, smoke near that. Your floor is insulated so you shouldn't draw much heat from the rest of the house.