What's new

Cookin' With Texican!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
interesting take on adding a bit of smoke. I normally soak chips overnight and add a few at a time but it looks like your way works fine. I can see myself doing that when I get the dinofuel grill going.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
interesting take on adding a bit of smoke. I normally soak chips overnight and add a few at a time but it looks like your way works fine. I can see myself doing that when I get the dinofuel grill going.
In addition to that chunk of mesquite on the grill, I also threw a handful of maple chips directly on the coals every fifteen minutes or so to keep the smoke content nice and high. :D

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
next time you get 90% lean beef...add chopped bacon...you will thank me later...awesome cooking man
Depending on what I'm cooking I will do 93/7 and add in either Italian Sausage or Neese's pork sausage.

When I'm doing my "bean burritos" I'll do 90/10 beef with chorizo and onions. Then I add in refried beans with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and various spices.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what I'm cooking I will do 93/7 and add in either Italian Sausage or Neese's pork sausage.

When I'm doing my "bean burritos" I'll do 90/10 beef with chorizo and onions. Then I add in refried beans with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and various spices.
can't find a decent spanish chorizo by the swamps...

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Nice!! Never tried mixing beef in there but that sounds good as hell. A favorite of mine growing up was when grandma would make chorizo and then throw in some refried beans. Called it "picoso beans" haha. Went great on her homemade tortillas.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
View attachment 171267
@Texican

Six pounds of pork steak with Extra Fancy Rib Rub going in the fridge to marinate for seven hours.
NICE!!!

I absolutely love that rub because it is (at least to my palate) primarily savory based. I'll use it by itself, or 50/50 with SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama (which has sugar in it) to kind of balance things out. I haven't been without a bottle of Fiesta Rib Rub, Fiesta Chicken Rub, or Fiesta Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning in my pantry in probably over a decade.

Looking forward to seeing how those turn out!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NICE!!!

I absolutely love that rub because it is (at least to my palate) primarily savory based. I'll use it by itself, or 50/50 with SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama (which has sugar in it) to kind of balance things out. I haven't been without a bottle of Fiesta Rib Rub, Fiesta Chicken Rub, or Fiesta Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning in my pantry in probably over a decade.

Looking forward to seeing how those turn out!
No pictures because the whole thing turned in to a train wreck. The rub was great and got rave reviews from everyone.

I went out to start the grill and after emptying the bag realized I didn't have enough charcoal. Well it was questionable. So, I decided to go with it because my wife had already started cooking the side dishes. Between the wind blowing out the coals, and a dozen other things, I ended up with an accidental slow cook at 250. Then after flipping the steaks it never got back over 175.

It was a sad presentation that didn't live up to what I wanted.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No pictures because the whole thing turned in to a train wreck. The rub was great and got rave reviews from everyone.

I went out to start the grill and after emptying the bag realized I didn't have enough charcoal. Well it was questionable. So, I decided to go with it because my wife had already started cooking the side dishes. Between the wind blowing out the coals, and a dozen other things, I ended up with an accidental slow cook at 250. Then after flipping the steaks it never got back over 175.

It was a sad presentation that didn't live up to what I wanted.
Man I've been there before. Sounds like you need one of these. Best $15 I ever spent. Haven't bought charcoal lighter fluid in years, and those damn coals get lit and STAY lit within minutes.

https://www.kingsford.com/shop-products/quick-start-charcoal-chimney-starter/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImLzh8J-h9wIVvxvUAR1eWAyHEAAYASAAEgKNY_D_BwE

I hate it when I have BBQ difficulties. For me its usually chicken taking like an hour longer than I thought because I cook it too damn low.

The other thing is...usually we are our own toughest critics. I'm sure it turned out plenty good.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Great thing about BBQ is you can normally get a good hint of smoke in half an hour or so. I've had to bail out a bunch of times and drop everthing in the oven to save the meal.
To piggyback onto this...if something goes awry and the meat is tough/not tender...just put it in a double wrapped, tightly sealed foil pouch with a little beer and Texas Crutch your way to tender meat. BBQ saved. If it's a really big hunk of meat, one of those big foil turkey pans wrapped tightly in foil works too. Basically steam/braise that s**t until it's tender. :cool: