What's new

Coolidor

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
That's funny. lots of very nice sticks in your collection and that's the one that sticks out like a sore thumb
Lmao, for some reason I just saw this response. Ill give it to someone at our fantasy baseball draft next month who doesn't really smoke. Damn devil site bidding :)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the 150 QT Coleman Xtreme cooler a few minutes ago and will pick it up tonight. Already have the 7lb bag of KL and a 14 oz container of activated carbon, the Camco 44123 Fridge Airator from Amazon* will be here Saturday, and just have to pick up some wire shelving when I get the cooler. I'll stop in at a B&M for some empty boxes in the next day or two and my Coolidor will be ready to go!

* I decided against hooking up a computer fan because the time saved in getting the parts for the CPU fan and putting it together was worth the extra $4 for the Airator. Plus, it's battery powered and I can't guarantee that the coolider's final resting place will be near an outlet.

Totally excited - not bad for having a Ziplock bag with a moistened paper towel as my "humidor" just four months ago. :ccool:

Edit: In case anyone is interested, I picked up the activated carbon from Petco. It was $12.99
View attachment 39764
Ha Im in your boat, I just picked up the Coleman 120 QT and gonna order the same Airator today. The only difference is that i ordered Heartfelt beads and am gonna go that route.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Alright, picked up the cooler tonight, washed it with warm sudsy water, rinsed it, wiped it down with DW, now sitting with two large containers of activated charcoal with the lid shut. When the fan arrives tomorrow, I'll toss it in as well (probably with a third container of charcoal) and, hopefully by Sunday, I'll be moving the cigars to their new home.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the 150 QT Coleman Xtreme cooler a few minutes ago and will pick it up tonight. Already have the 7lb bag of KL and a 14 oz container of activated carbon, the Camco 44123 Fridge Airator from Amazon* will be here Saturday, and just have to pick up some wire shelving when I get the cooler. I'll stop in at a B&M for some empty boxes in the next day or two and my Coolidor will be ready to go!

* I decided against hooking up a computer fan because the time saved in getting the parts for the CPU fan and putting it together was worth the extra $4 for the Airator. Plus, it's battery powered and I can't guarantee that the coolider's final resting place will be near an outlet.

Totally excited - not bad for having a Ziplock bag with a moistened paper towel as my "humidor" just four months ago. :ccool:

Edit: In case anyone is interested, I picked up the activated carbon from Petco. It was $12.99
View attachment 39764
Ha Im in your boat, I just picked up the Coleman 120 QT and gonna order the same Airator today. The only difference is that i ordered Heartfelt beads and am gonna go that route.
Guys the Camco 44123 Fridge Airator comes with a bag of active carbon that you could have left in and ran for a few days before filling up and then of removed......... personally I used crumpled newspaper to the same effect.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I bought the charcoal prior to deciding to get the Camco fan, so I had it already. Plus, more charcoal will work more effectively.

However, had I known that I was getting it AND that it cam with a charcoal bag, I would have save the $12

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Great setup guys love the pictures, but was wondering if you all could post them up in the The "Official Show Your Coolidor" Thread

so we can try to keep them all in one easy to find place

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long does it take to get rid of the new cooler smell? I've been wiping it down with alcohol and letting it air out... I tried something different today... I wipes it down and kept it shut and will open it when I get home

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
How long does it take to get rid of the new cooler smell? I've been wiping it down with alcohol and letting it air out... I tried something different today... I wipes it down and kept it shut and will open it when I get home
It took me only one washing with warm water and mild dish soap and a new sponge, then I let air out open for 24 hours. I would have washed it a second time no problem if the smell was still there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It took me only one washing with warm water and mild dish soap and a new sponge, then I let air out open for 24 hours. I would have washed it a second time no problem if the smell was still there.
Cool I try that tonight! Thanks!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Mine took about 48 hours until I was happy with the result.

First, I washed it with hot sudsy water, rinsed it really well, and then completely towel dried it.
Then I wiped the entire insides down with distilled water.
Then I placed three large containers of activated charcoal in the cooler and closed the lid. On the second day when a battery-operated fan arrived, I placed that inside as well to help circulate the air.

The smell was almost gone after 36 hours but I left it one more day just to be safe.

Using that much charcoal may have been overkill but it worked really well.

Tonight, I add the kitty litter and spritz it with DL and, hopefully, in a couple of days will have the Rh stabilized around 64% and will transfer my sticks over.