What's new

Craigslist/Ebay Cigar Fails

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I saw this the other day lol

You mean you wouldnt pay 97.50 for a dirty rat? :)
That's what I was trying to figure out. I wasn't sure the quantity on some of the boxes. $97.50 seems totally reasonable...

Between this and the Jason's the other day, I'd really like to hear Pete and JD's opinion on this. I would assume that part of you has to feel good that you made a product that was so well thought of as to demand this kind of price. On the other hand, they have to hate seeing their customers price gouging other customers like this.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I just bought the guys entire inventory for $625,326,652.00 I'm pretty sure it's a good investment strategy since he has some boxes of those fancy 8 year aged Swishers too...

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just bought the guys entire inventory for $625,326,652.00 I'm pretty sure it's a good investment strategy since he has some boxes of those fancy 8 year aged Swishers too...
Damn KC you should have told me I'd have gone half with you. Your one lucky guy to have all that limited edition stuff. :D

-Britt

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I saw this the other day lol

You mean you wouldnt pay 97.50 for a dirty rat? :)
That's what I was trying to figure out. I wasn't sure the quantity on some of the boxes. $97.50 seems totally reasonable...

Between this and the Jason's the other day, I'd really like to hear Pete and JD's opinion on this. I would assume that part of you has to feel good that you made a product that was so well thought of as to demand this kind of price. On the other hand, they have to hate seeing their customers price gouging other customers like this.
Im not sure how they feel about this, its one of the few things that people will pay over MSRP for time and time again. If find a car that elvis owned you may pay a couple thousand more; but there aren't that many things around other than rare liqueur and cigars that people will pay over MSRP for any release, stick or bottle.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Haha, the best part is the band is no different than what they put on the regular Undercrowns. I am going to post all of my Undercrown bands on ebay and say they are rare and see if I can get $20 a band.
Fwiw he is selling the cigar but calling it the band due to not being able to say he is selling tobacco. Common tactic with eBay douches who gouge....

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I won't be buying! I guess some people have no shame when it comes to selling behind a computer screen versus in person.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I don't know... In a way as a cigar smoker it pisses me off but from a business stand point. I guess if there are people dumb enough more power to them. I guess you don't have to be dumb though. Maybe the people buying just don't want to chase this shit down and money isn't an object. So party on I guess.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The "band" listing totally violates the eBay tobacco policy. You can only sell sealed boxes, not individual cigars, even if they're wrapped in cello.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like the part in the description "sides may not be perfect" as if to say he's not sure, which means they are not. Shady.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Maybe the people buying just don't want to chase this shit down and money isn't an object.
That's it. If you have money, and aren't part of a great network of brothers who help each other out, this is really your only option to get some of these kinds of sticks.

Here's my take on the whole thing: If this guy has ever been part of a cigar community and benefited from being part of that community, it would be much more appropriate for him to help guys within that community with these rare/htf sticks. If he benefits from the brotherhood, he should pay it forward, and help out others within the brotherhood. It's entirely inappropriate to take advantage of a community, and then stick it to them.

IF, however, he's not part of the cigar community, then he really has no obligation to keep prices low or hook anyone up. He's simply running a business, and I have no issue with that, and in fact support it. On principle, I fully support a guy who sources product, then sells it to willing buyers. That's the free market, and he's actually providing a positive benefit to those who need his services.

I might be trashed for this post, but unless he's benefited from the cigar community, he doesn't have any obligation to the cigar community. As such, saying that because he's charging what the market will bear makes him a douchebag is naive at best, and puerile at worst. It's complaining because you feel entitled to have something at the price you want, not the market price.

Now, hear me: being part of this community does provide that opportunity on many occasions, and that's a wonderful, wonderful thing. I have BOTLs who have hooked me up with really HTF cigars at their cost or just as a gift, and I've done the same for many others. We pay it forward amongst ourselves, and that's fantastic. It's what being a BOTL is all about. As as member here, I owe it to all of you to help out when and where I can, because I know you all would do the same for me.

BUT, that doesn't mean we should apply those same principles to people outside the community. They don't owe us anything, and in fact, it would hinder the free market system if we could somehow price fix things. Trust me, that's a bad thing. Furthermore, I've paid way over MSRP for sticks on the secondary market, simply because I couldn't find them or act fast enough to snatch them at their original prices. And you know what? I was glad the guy charged more... because it meant that 100 other guys didn't grab it first. I was provided me a service I was happy to pay for.

If you're upset because a BOTL is gauging others after benefiting from them, I totally get you and I'm right there with you. But, if you're just upset because you can't have what you want from a total stranger who owes you nothing, well... you're behaving like a child.