What's new

Credit card fraud

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Was shopping at the local lumber supply last night to pickup some crown molding and had my credit card declined. Called them up and was told there were many suspicious transactions this week from Ebay. I had them close the account and send a new card.

This morning I go to access my account online and I can see about 15 different transactions all from Ebay's Half.com ... mostly small stuff, $100-$300 each, but totaling over $2000!

Bastards. :riflefire

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I know what you mean. Went to California a few years ago and, after getting home, noticed several new transactions were posted totaling about $2000. Apparently, someone where we used the card wrote the numbers down and was able to obtain and cash gift certificates (probably online from what we were told by the CC company). Fortunately, because they were unauthorized transactions and we still had all cards in our possession, we weren't responsible.

Hope the same result for you.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i'm in the challenge process right now. credit card co. caught it. a lot of telephone companies totalling about $1000. they said it was ring tones and such.... that's the card i pay all my bills w/ so, having to change everything is quite the hassle.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Damn, I hate to hear that happen to anybody. Hopefully they make it right for ya :thumbsup:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Man, that really sucks!

Our credit union called us one time to tell us that a local business we shopped at had beeen "compromised" and that our check card number had been stolen, along with a gazillion others. The credit union had already taken the account access down and didn't notice any suspicious activity, but verified the last few purchases with us anyways. We ended up getting new cards, new PINs, etc...and we got lucky that nothing was stolen from our account.

But man, that phone call was a real shocker. It's a terrible feeling to hear that someone has stolen your card number!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That really bites. The shame of it is that law enforcement is very soft on this kind of thing because it doesn't involve violence or threat of violence.

About 5 years ago we caught an employee writing down cc numbers, making fraudulent charges and pocketing the cash. We had a paper trail and a videotape of him in action. We turned it over to P.D. A detective was assigned. I met with the detective and he gave me extremely specific instructions on how to make a presentation out of the evidence. Spent two days putting the evidence together and meeting with the detective to show him what to look for in the videotape. I turned it all over to the detective and he presented it to the D.A. The D.A. put it before a grand jury and got an indictment.

About 3 months later, before the case went to trial, I got a letter from the D.A.'s office stating that Immigration and Customs Enforcement was in the process of deporting the individual, (he was from Nigeria) and the D.A. had dropped the charges at the request of I.C.E.

A year went by and one of my employees saw the thief at the mall. It turns out the thief was now a citizen. I called the D.A.'s office. They told me to call the detective. I had to put the whole damn thing together again. The D.A. plea bargained down to a misdemeanor and the guy got probation. We never saw a dime of restitution. (We had reversed all the fraudulent charges and taken the loss ourselves.)

About a year later this guy was up on new fraud charges.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
If someone falsely aquires my identity they might shoot me for it.
It would be fairly easy for cc company to determine that my identity has been compromised.

If its not cigars, food & gasoline....I dont buy it!

But on serious note...I am sorry to hear about your situation. My buddy got taken by someone for about $2000.00 (seems to be the magic number). Basically he recieved an email for ** (supposedly) and they wanted him to verify his identity (with longins and pw's) and when he did...they went to work. His CU was really cool about it and put the money back into his account without any hassle!

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Quite an inconvenience because you had your card declined, but things will work out since you're never responsible for unauthorized transactions.
I have no problem using a credit card anywhere, and credit card fraud is not something I worry about.
Now, banking and debit card fraud is a whole different story.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
True, I won't be responsible for all these bogus charges, but it's a real hassle as I'm now without the use of my cc for about 2 weeks. All these charges pushed the account over my credit limit, so I cannot even use my replacement card. My Jan payment was not scheduled to be sent until late next week and the bogus charges can't be removed until they receive a signed affidavit from me.

Sigh ...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Sorry to hear that Ted. We are on the other side of the transaction as a processor. We charge the loss back to the merchant and hope he is still the. Credit card fraud costs the processing companies millions and millions each year. Seems like there is always a new scheme everytime we catch the bad guys.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
True, I won't be responsible for all these bogus charges, but it's a real hassle as I'm now without the use of my cc for about 2 weeks. All these charges pushed the account over my credit limit, so I cannot even use my replacement card. My Jan payment was not scheduled to be sent until late next week and the bogus charges can't be removed until they receive a signed affidavit from me.

Sigh ...
Wow, that does suck. I'd call and ask the CC company to issue provisional credits to your account so you can use your card. It normally doesn't take 2 weeks. During an incident of fraud like this, it's in the CC company's best intersest to make you happy so you won't bolt to another issuer.
I've only had a couple of incidents like this, and each time they issued a credit so I can keep using the card (and making them money) and finalized the credits when they got the paperwork.

Might worth getting a couple of backup cards from other issuers for next time this happens.

justinphilly

makin dollars out of $.15
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my wife shops religiously at Home Goods, which is part of TJ MAXX.. Some may have heard of the TJ MAXX scandal, were someone tapped into their computers and stole ALOT of credit card #'s...

So, if you or your wife shop at either of these stores, or any other of the TJ MAXX chain, PAY WITH CASH!!!