What's new

Cuban quality

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There was a couple of interesting articles in the recent issue of Cigar Aficionado. One article described some of the inner workings of the Cuban cigar industry. Such things as seed genetics research, plant biology studies, complex soil analysis throughout the country and the multi level, ongoing tasting and analysis by a full contingent of highly train experts.

Now I love both CC's and NC's and it is always interesting to read about the master blenders that create the wonderful NC cigars that we love, but no NC cigar company can come close to the multi million dollar high tech machine that is the Cuban cigar industry. The article sheds light on the reason that CC's have such consistently high quality.

A second article gives statistics on the 665 blind tasting results that they did in 2016. While many people scoff at these scoring systems, it does provide an interesting statistic. 56% of the 88 CC's tested in 2016 scored above 90 points. That is by far the highest percentage and I think the other article goes a long way in explaining why.

I know there are CC's haters out there who think that they are overrated. While I do think they may be over priced, I can't argue with the quality. Let's hope that any future changes to the US import rules don't drive the prices up even more.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I almost rather read halfwheel than CA.

CCs are regularly cheaper than NCs in my opinion.

Also, if you take the top 3-5 NC companies and do the same test, they might score higher than the CCs. There are many many NCs I won't smoke but very few CCs. My only problem with CCs is the draw issue which I'm told is in my head as others don't have the same issue.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
@Bruce T. Not trying to start shit in any way, but how are CCs overpriced? There are plenty of good options that cost under $8/stick. Id say the pricing is extremely competitive compared to most boutique brands that we on the forums here tend to migrate to. And plenty of people chase NC LEs that can easily exceed $10 in price. And when it comes to PCs and shorts, no one does them better or cheaper IMO.

What kills me when discussing CC prices is that plenty of folks will complain about Cohiba being overpriced, but many won't say the same things about a brand like Opus. Those also cost $15+ in many instances and also require years of rest, not to mention the crazy special editions they come out with that cost and arm and a leg. When Liga was the shit on this board, tons of folks were excited to pay $15+ for a robusto, $14+ for corona and $18+ for a lancero and they bought this stuff by the box and discounts didn't exist at the height of the brands popularity. Sure, folks would admit they were expensive, but everyone claimed it was worth the price of admission and certainly nobody called them overpriced.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
@Bruce T. Not trying to start shit in any way, but how are CCs overpriced? There are plenty of good options that cost under $8/stick. Id say the pricing is extremely competitive compared to most boutique brands that we on the forums here tend to migrate to. And plenty of people chase NC LEs that can easily exceed $10 in price. And when it comes to PCs and shorts, no one does them better or cheaper IMO.

What kills me when discussing CC prices is that plenty of folks will complain about Cohiba being overpriced, but many won't say the same things about a brand like Opus. Those also cost $15+ in many instances and also require years of rest, not to mention the crazy special editions they come out with that cost and arm and a leg. When Liga was the shit on this board, tons of folks were excited to pay $15+ for a robusto, $14+ for corona and $18+ for a lancero and they bought this stuff by the box and discounts didn't exist at the height of the brands popularity. Sure, folks would admit they were expensive, but everyone claimed it was worth the price of admission and certainly nobody called them overpriced.
Idk what you're talking about bro, CCs are hella expensive and totally not worth it. In fact, people should just forget about CCs altogether and stick with the consistent quality and affordable pricing of NCs.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0

Depending on who you buy from, some CCs could be overpriced.

:)

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
There are $2.00 Cubans I enjoy very much.
Damn few of the $15.00 to 25.00 Cubans have been as good for the price.........
Over priced is the same everywhere...........:greedy:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many many boxes of Cubans. Legit CC...sources and documented. They all cost less than the NC I smoke(excluding Cohiba). That's a fact.

My go to NC are Tat, Warped, Illusione and some others. Average are $9-$13 a stick for those. I smoke them because they taste great and are the exception to most of the NC fire bomb cigars of today.

Per box I would spend $220-380 on those NC. My CC range from $160-300 a box. Again, excluding my Cohibas.

Taste is better with CC(my opinion) and draw is fine. There is a knowledge needed with CC that you don't need with NC. A slight learning curve...like dry boxing in some cases.

My experience is that CC are the same if. It cheaper than NC. Just find the right source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I like my CC but to be honest I just can't afford to pay the prices for most boxes. I mean dropping 800-1500 a box is a bit beyond my means. You can get the machine made CC for like 350-450 but I prefer hand made smokes. Nothing wrong with short filler machine made Cubans but I'm just old school when it comes to cigars. Plus by buying Cubans you are directly supporting ISIS. I just don't know if I could sleep at night.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my CC but to be honest I just can't afford to pay the prices for most boxes. I mean dropping 800-1500 a box is a bit beyond my means. You can get the machine made CC for like 350-450 but I prefer hand made smokes. Nothing wrong with short filler machine made Cubans but I'm just old school when it comes to cigars. Plus by buying Cubans you are directly supporting ISIS. I just don't know if I could sleep at night.
These are Instagram prices my man. Behike cost less than $1k and I would rather get shot in the face than spend that $. You can get boxes of quality CC all day under $300.

And ISIS? Wtf

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy I follow in IG posting custom rolls from Cuba for sale. Beautiful looking sticks from some well known rollers. So, I asked...how much.

$90 a stick. $90 F'ing dollars a stick. I know for a fact they cost 6CUC. So after rates on trading like $7.50.

That's the issue. People like him. He said he had only 1 left when I spoke to him. So I guess the market will support it.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
These are Instagram prices my man. Behike cost less than 1500 and I would rather get shot in the face than spend that $. You can get boxes of quality CC all day under $300.

And ISIS? Wtf

I know most people don't follow world events like I do but come on man you don't even know who ISIS is? Geez. Google bro google.

As far as 300.00 boxes I've never seen a box of handmade CC even come close to that. I nearly pulled the trigger on a box of Cuban macanudos but last I looked those were 600 and were the cheapest ones by far. And I'm not going to spend 1,000 a box for montecrisco

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most people don't follow world events like I do but come on man you don't even know who ISIS is? Geez. Google bro google.

As far as 300.00 boxes I've never seen a box of handmade CC even come close to that. I nearly pulled the trigger on a box of Cuban macanudos but last I looked those were 600 and were the cheapest ones by far. And I'm not going to spend 1,000 a box for montecrisco
You're clearly trolling.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First let may say, "nice stash Jimmy_Jack !"
Second, I started this thread 3 hours ago at 10 am on a weekday. This is a lot of responses in 3 hours.
Third, I can buy CC's locally because I'm in Canada but our tax rate on tobacco products is crazy high. My American friends would be shocked at cigar prices in Canada. I usually order NC's online from the US and pay the exchange rate, extra shipping, import duty, excise duty and local sales tax. The end result is that I pay double what they sell for in the US and they are still cheaper than buying locally.
Here are the local B&M prices for some CC's
Cohiba Esplendios $75.99
Behike 54 $99.99
Siglo 1 $22.99
R&J Churchill $37.99
Monte #1 $29.99
You can see why I said CC's are expensive. I usually go to Cuba for a week in the winter and I buy them there. They are about half the price.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
First let may say, "nice stash Jimmy_Jack !"
Second, I started this thread 3 hours ago at 10 am on a weekday. This is a lot of responses in 3 hours.
Third, I can buy CC's locally because I'm in Canada but our tax rate on tobacco products is crazy high. My American friends would be shocked at cigar prices in Canada. I usually order NC's online from the US and pay the exchange rate, extra shipping, import duty, excise duty and local sales tax. The end result is that I pay double what they sell for in the US and they are still cheaper than buying locally.
Here are the local B&M prices for some CC's
Cohiba Esplendios $75.99
Behike 54 $99.99
Siglo 1 $22.99
R&J Churchill $37.99
Monte #1 $29.99
You can see why I said CC's are expensive. I usually go to Cuba for a week in the winter and I buy them there. They are about half the price.
im curious, what stops you from ordering CC online and risking the import w/o tax etc? Worst case is you have to pay tax, correct?