What's new

Cubans vs Non-Cubans: A THEORY

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoke both CC and non-CC cigars. That said, I only smoke what I enjoy. So it doesn't matter where it's from.
Very interesting read guys! Thanks for sharing.

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Cuban tobacco is the best tobacco in the world. I have no problem saying it, but the aftertaste of NC's makes it feel like my mouth is an ashtray.
Hmmm I really can't say i agree. Although I have had some great CC's I still favor the NC's that are made in Nicaragua. I enjoy a full body cigar so this could be the reason but I also know it's good to mix things up which CC's do for me. It's really all in the taste though as I've had alot of Cubans that I really didn't care for.
That's all perfectly fine brother, that's where we disagree. I can't take full bodied cigars. I don't like feeling like I was kicked in the face after smoking one. I've had a bunch of CC's I did not care for either. I'm not out here saying that every Marca and every Vitola is a great cigar because they use Cuban tobacco. But give me a choice between a $30 Opus or a $30 Cohiba and I am picking the Cohiba every single time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all I'd like to thank all you guys for your feedback. All of your experiences and opinions are really helpful and interesting. Ive definitely learned a lot from all of you guys.

After reading the posts a recurring theme seems to be at the center of the CC vs NC debate. Guys are saying that after they smoke an NC's that they have a bad aftertaste and it makes their mouths taste like an ashtray where as the CC's do not have that effect. Now I have a questions about this. Is this strong aftertaset a result of power (body/strength) or rather just an result of the tobacco used in the NC's. It seems to me that CC's tend to characteristically be more of medium body/strength than some of the NC's. I know when I smoke a medium bodied NC vs a full bodied NC I can definitely still taste the full bodied NC's well after Ive smoked it. Whereas with medium or mild smokes this is not the case. The same thing happens when drinking wine...full bodied vs medium/mild wines. So this brings to light another "theory" of sorts (I hope im not being too annoying with my theories, as I read your responses and even as Im writing this response it sparks more questions haha).

IMO medium bodied cigars are kind of that "Goldilocks" sweet spot when it comes to appealing to the masses when it comes to cigars in general ( not too week not too strong...juuuuust right). Others may disagree but thats what I think. Now, can you really compare a full bodied/strength cigar(ex 601 La Bomba) to a medium stick (like the A. Fuente Hemmingway)? I am aware that there is more to CC's that just the body/strength that make them good (flavor, finish, aroma etc). However, perhaps the "aftertaste" that turns off many people that love CC's is the lingering taste left behind after smoking true full bodied/strength NC's. Perhaps it would be best to compare CC's to NC's of similar body/strength to see how they compare. IMO, the full bodied/strength NC's and CC's shouldnt even be compared. What do you guys think about this?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I know you're not looking for everyone to come to an agreement and say that one is better than the other...

...And I know you're ok with reading everyone's personal opinions.

But I must interject- There really is no end to this subject.
When everything is said and done, you'll only be left with people's personal thoughts. When you're dealing with something so subjective, there is no single right answer to any question proposed on this topic... IMO.
Even statements like "NCs leave a harsh taste in your mouth and CCs don't" or "CCs have a more dynamic flavor profile" are immeasurable and left to be taken only as one thing: 1 person's opinion.
Neither one is or ever will be "better."

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Bro, I know you are just wanting to learn here, but as Evan said above, no answer is right. All it comes down to is preference. One thing that is fact, is soil affects tobacco flavor, pure and simple. You can take the same seed and plant it in Cuba, Nica, DR, Honduras etc and they will all taste different because of the soil and growing climate. Just like wine, grapes/wine will taste totally different depending on where you grow the grapes. It's all preference on what is "better" for you.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Smoke them both and decide for yourself. I like them both but they're VERY different. NCs tend to be big-flavored hard-hitting creatures many of which tastes great. CCs are much more mild in flavor and intensity, they offer this subtle, delicate flavors that don't overwhelm you. It's almost like comparing BBQ to steak, I like them both a lot but they're very different from each other.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Some CC's are better than some NC's and some NC's are better than some CC's.
Please name some of the NC's. I would like to try them. Thanks.
That would depend on your tastes and what is being compared...

There are tons of premium and super premium NC's out there that, depending on your likes, are are of equal quality (and sometimes better) to premium CC's when it comes to construction, complexity, etc.. but if a Nica profile or a dominican profile, etc.. is not your thing.. then its just not your thing..

At the same time, there are CC's out there that most avid CC smokers wont even touch..

For example.. I personally like quintero nacionals... but I freely admit that they regularly have construction problems, dont really have a very complex flavor, and honestly dont even age very well... most CC smokers that I know would rather smoke a philles blunt.. but I actually like them quite a bit for a daily smoke (very inexpensive, medium body, with a light touch of common CC flavors in them)...

Certainly the vast majority of NC's that I smoke are far better products.. they are made with higher quality leaf, quality control standards are better, and they are much more complex smokes..

But I still like my little $2 quinteros.. :)

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Some CC's are better than some NC's and some NC's are better than some CC's.
Please name some of the NC's. I would like to try them. Thanks.
That would depend on your tastes and what is being compared...

There are tons of premium and super premium NC's out there that, depending on your likes, are are of equal quality (and sometimes better) to premium CC's when it comes to construction, complexity, etc.. but if a Nica profile or a dominican profile, etc.. is not your thing.. then its just not your thing..

At the same time, there are CC's out there that most avid CC smokers wont even touch..

For example.. I personally like quintero nacionals... but I freely admit that they regularly have construction problems, dont really have a very complex flavor, and honestly dont even age very well... most CC smokers that I know would rather smoke a philles blunt.. but I actually like them quite a bit for a daily smoke (very inexpensive, medium body, with a light touch of common CC flavors in them)...

Certainly the vast majority of NC's that I smoke are far better products.. they are made with higher quality leaf, quality control standards are better, and they are much more complex smokes..

But I still like my little $2 quinteros.. :)
Your not alone bother; I love NC's and CC's... especially $2 JLP Cazadores

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The way I figure, all the folks that were really good at making cigars that lived in Cuba during the revolution got the hell out of there, and are now making cigars somewhere else, and took the seeds they needed with them. The guys left in Cuba have the land and the air, and everything else that's in Cuba, but not the means or where-with-all to get the hell out when Castro took over. I figure the guys that got out were smarter, and probably are making at least as good a cigar or better than the guys left in Cuba. Having said that, I've never smoked a Cuban. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd certainly give them a try, but at this point I don't really figure I'm missing out on anything. I have several sticks that I like from NC, and DC. I get the whole mystique thing about Cubans, they're what you can't have. I think its about the same for any other thing you can't have whenever you want it, either because of price or availability.

~~fred

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
But the soil is one of the most important factors. Cuban seed grown in Nicaragua or the Dominican doesn't taste anything like the cigars grown in Cuban soil. And while many of the farm owners etc left Cuba, many of the master rollers and blenders did not.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I prefer Cubans.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
while many of the farm owners etc left Cuba, many of the master rollers and blenders did not.
this...

not to mention the embargo was initiated in 1960.. and then strengthened in 1962.... its been 50 years.. there have been a couple of generations of farmers, rollers, blenders, etc.. come and go since then..

the people that were critical to the industry in the 1950's and 60's have long since retired and/or died.. its not like everyone in Cuba left... there was plenty of heritage, knowledge, and experience still sitting in Havana in Feb 1962... still plenty sitting there in the late 60's and 70's during the mass exodus of refugees.. and plenty still sitting there in the 1980's and 90's when the current crop of 20+ year veterans that are working today first sat down at the table and began to learn their trade and be trained by the "old" guys...

What we gained by the embargo is a growth in the industry in other countries.. a sharing of expertise across the region.. and a huge improvement in the quality of tobacco grown in places outside of Cuba..

What we lost in the embargo.. is access to CC product..

that does not mean the quality of the product has diminished however.. in a lot of ways it has actually improved.. the Cubans now have competition in the international market.. something they lacked a lot of in the 1950's.. if you want to survive in a competitive environment.. you up your game.. not rest on your laurels..