What's new

Cut makes that big of a difference?

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A larger cut, such as a straight cut with a guilotine will give a creamier smoke while a smaller cut, like a punch, will give a more intense smoke as it is concentrating the smoke on a smaller portion of your taste buds. Of course, this also has to so with the size of the cigar as well.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Maybe you should keep a record of the style of cut you used on whatever brand once you find what you like. Everyone's gonna give you there opinion, and which cutter/cut is better. Have fun and experiment. Your tongue will guide you!
I'm actually going to do this. I've got a slight case of "Type A" so sometimes I like adding things like records or math to mundane tasks, lol.

I typically start with a V-Cut or punch-cut, and if the draw isn't good enough (either cold-draw or as I'm smoking), then I'll clip it with my new Xikar.

If the draw is on the edge of being too tight, a re-cut can make a huge difference. Also, it can make a huge difference on any figurado ... I used to always cut as little off as possible (so there was a long tapered segment still on the head), but I've discovered that that can impeed the flavor many times.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
And on unusual cigars, I will change things up. On cigars with pigtail caps (Flyng Pigs, Dirty Rats, Tat Victorias/Anarchy/M80, etc), I usually just pull off the "tail." Sometimes the draw is not enough and I need to cut it, but usually it's fine.

And yea, on a Chisle I punch both flat sides of the head as Lito does. It's awesome.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
For those of you punching the Chisel, have you ever just tried pinching the sides to split open the thin part of the head? A LFD rep showed me this and its the only way I "cut" Chisels now.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
For those of you punching the Chisel, have you ever just tried pinching the sides to split open the thin part of the head? A LFD rep showed me this and its the only way I "cut" Chisels now.
I have tried that, it's cool. But I still prefer punching both flat sides ... makes for a very unique smoke.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Maybe you should keep a record of the style of cut you used on whatever brand once you find what you like. Everyone's gonna give you there opinion, and which cutter/cut is better. Have fun and experiment. Your tongue will guide you!
Think I'm gonna have to try this now :ccool:

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Start smaller, then go bigger until you get the right draw. It's like cooking, you can't take salt out if you put too much, but you can always add more if... well you get the idea.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Can you provide a bit more detail on this method? I'd like to try this on my next Chisel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Can you provide a bit more detail on this method? I'd like to try this on my next Chisel.

Sure. All you do is grab the part you smoke out of and pinch the sides. It will split the end creating an opening to puff from. Don't pinch the flat, tapered side cuz that wont do anything. Pinch the sides of of the taper. That's about the best I can explain it.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sure. All you do is grab the part you smoke out of and pinch the sides. It will split the end creating an opening to puff from. Don't pinch the flat, tapered side cuz that wont do anything. Pinch the sides of of the taper. That's about the best I can explain it.
Thanks. I'll let you know how it works for me when I try it.