What's new

Cut/Punch Differences?

How much of a diff. can you taste between a punch and a cut?

• A very distinct difference

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • somewhat different flavors are present

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • cant really tell a difference at all

Votes: 64 62.1%

• Total voters

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
The only reason I occasionally punch a cigar (large ring cigar) is to "centralize" the flow of the smoke versus cutting the end off with a Palio.

( and I checked - cant really tell a difference at all)
Ditto here as well...I used a punch when I first started out but most cigars I found were just packed to hard and made it difficult to draw from. Cutting the cigar really made a big difference on making the draw easier which I prefer.

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
I experience a bit of oil and tar build up when i punch a cigar. That can alter the flavor profile for me. I ALWAYS use a straight cut.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I use a punch on a large ring cigars. The secret is to make sure it is very sharp and not to cut too deep.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I use a punch on a large ring cigars. The secret is to make sure it is very sharp and not to cut too deep.
Bingo... sharp cutter and a shallow cut won't compress your leaves...it'll just cut the cap for you.

I am with Chuck, when I have a RG that is too large to smoke comfortably, i'll punch it, but i don't care as much for the larger RG, so it's rare that I pull a punch out to use.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somewhat different

It can get some tar build up and that is terrible. I try to when I punch is to do three overlapping punches to eliminate that problem as much as possible. Though that is more work than a simple cut

coastalgriff

Educated Redneck
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I used to v or straight cut most smokes until I got a lighter w/ punch as a birthday gift. Out of convenience I've been using the punch quite a bit. I have definitely noticed an increase in the number of cigars that get tossed due to heavy tar build up. I never had a problem before I started punching everything. I voted for a very distinct difference. I do have a very small punch that I use on all lanceros without problem.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've never noticed a difference in flavor. A difference in performance, and burn is definitely possible, and I have noticed it at times. I tend to punch cigars that are either really big, or that seem somewhat less well constructed.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just realized, where different cuts/punches come into play. Torpedo shaped cigars or the sticks which are tied at the end. It's impossible to punch those, I had to use my cutter for the Connecticut the other night. Good cigar, couldn't really tell the difference between punch & cut.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I'm a Palio straight cut kinda of guy. I like to open things up more than a punch offers. I have used a punch but it is just to feminine for me.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
For me, it doesn't so much affect the overall flavors as much as the intensity of those flavors. A punch is going to create a smaller opening and will initially concentrate the smoke to a smaller portion of the palate, giving the smoke a more intense flavor. Whereas a cut make a larger opening and creating a more subdued, creamier smoke.

I prefer cut.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to use a punch cutter but when I switched to a double-blade I noticed the lack of a tar build-up that sometimes happens when I use a punch. I do think there is a possibility that the punch channels the smoke to make the experiance more intense and that is why I may punch light-bodied sticks if I want more intensity from them.

Rev

Perfecto Lounge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The punch cut or shallow guillotine cut will sometimes cause a hard draw, thus resulting in tar/juice buildup at the tip of the cigar. I cut mine 99% of the time, cut the cap with my teeth the other 1%.