What's new

Dads

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I was thinking (i know) about mine the other day and it made me think of a thread idea. How many of our dads smoked pipes or cigars.
I'll start, My dad wouldnt have touched tobbacco if it chased him around the yard. He never smoked or chewed and would never had even considered the thought. It really made him mad when he found out I enjoyed cigars and pipe and my brother smoked cigarettes. He only drank one beer a year and that was the day before buck season at the feed that was held at the hunting camp.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Both of my folks have been life-long 2pk/day cigarette smokers. Bought my dad a box of MF one year that I had Pepin sign at the Chicago herf. I'm sure he still has 3/4 of them. Just wasn't his thing.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
My dad smoked cigarettes until I was about 3 years old. Several packs a day. When he quit cigarettes he went to cigars and pipe, and smoked as many cheap cigars in a day as he could. He and I have smoked together once, but he's afraid of picking the habit up, so he usually passes. although he is very proud that I am a cigar smoker!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's funny, I told to stay away from tobacco for as long as I can remember. My Grandpa would smoke almost two packs of cigarettes a day and my Mom hated it. She re-married when I was 7. I knew my step-father had a fairly colorful history with tobacco and alcohol before he met my Mom, but I never once saw him smoke growing up (and he hasn't had a drink in over 30 years). Fast forward 22 years, and my step-dad says he wants a few cigars for Father's day. I picked up a couple, he insisted that I have one with him, and I've been falling down the rabbit hole ever since.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My dad is the same as you Griz. Never ever touched it. Hated me when he found out that I did. But one of my coolest memories was traveling to Italy with my parents (and boat load of people from college). I was standing around smoking a Siglo 1 with my buddies. I told my dad that he better take a puff as this was an authentic Cuban. He finally agreed and took a puff. All he could say was "ya know, that's pretty darn good". Geez I love that man! Haha

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Both my parents smoked cigarettes as did I for a few post teenage years but I'm off that habit, but I do enjoy my cigars. It's the finer things in life that make it worth living, so I figure you might as well enjoy them.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
My dad was a piper. He had probably close to 50 pipes at one time and only smoked Prince Albert. I've got his collection now but haven't gotten around to restoring any yet.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My folks bought a pack of cigarettes after they were first married to see what it was like. A a couple drags and they had their fill lol. My Dad knows I smoke cigars and while I know he isn't happy about it, he doesn't lecture either. Out of respect it's nothing I would ever partake in his presence.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
this is so funny, I would never let my Dad see me smoke either, Living next door to the, I could not smoke on my front porch but the tractor shed hid me from tier house, so I could sit on my back porch and smoke. Even though I was in my 50's.... well, anyway, I always respected them and would not allow then to see me smoke. Sounds strange but then if you knew me.....

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
this is so funny, I would never let my Dad see me smoke either, Living next door to the, I could not smoke on my front porch but the tractor shed hid me from tier house, so I could sit on my back porch and smoke. Even though I was in my 50's.... well, anyway, I always respected them and would not allow then to see me smoke. Sounds strange but then if you knew me.....
That doesn't sound strange at all. I grew up on, and still live on the family farm. My grandfather is anti alcohol. Very. Out of respect, he has never seen any of the other male figures around the farm drink a beer. Not that it's hidden from him, just out of respect, not in front of him.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
we must have been raised from the same ethics, My kids were raised that way and they always ragged on me for "hiding" from my parents. I didnt hide it, I just didnt let them see me doing it. I always yanked my Dad about having a cigar with me, he would just grin and shake his head no.... I miss that ole bugger.
OK now enough mushy stuff, come-on, there's more dad stuff out there so speak up.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My Dad smoked cigarettes and pipes until ~20 years ago when NYC started taxing the heck out of them & a pack of smokes went from $2-$3 a pack to $5-$6. He would have an occasional cigar with one of my Uncles, who was an avid cigar smoker.
My Dad died 2 yrs ago yesterday! :cry:
I just really got serious about cigars about 1 1/2 ago. And even though I gave out cigars for my 1st child's birth 20 yrs ago, I never got the chance to smoke one with him. I dabble with a pipe every now & then and thought he still had his pipes. But apparently he got rid of them because I haven't been able to find them. Maybe I'll get lucky and find them since my Mom is still clearing out some of his stuff.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Uncle smoked cigars. Though he more chews and slobbers on it than smokes it. Growing up if you ever saw him or a picture of him he had a wet chewed up cigar in his mouth. Step dad used to smoke pipes, aromatics mostly. Cheap stuff from the drug store, usually cherry.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's not strange at all!
When I was younger, I used to but my Dad about smoking cigarettes. Did everything in my power to get him to stop! Needless to say that didn't happe. He said that he would "smoke until I'm ready to stop". I started smoking cigs to the tune of 1 - 2 paks a day in the early '90's. My Dad knew that I smoked, but he NEVER saw me smoke out of respect. He would say to me "still smoking? Remember how you bugged me to stop!?"
I miss him.