What's new

Dark Lord Day 2012

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've wanted to try this sometime but I will not buying any via ebay..

It’s the Monday after 3 Floyds Dark Lord Day 2012. On Saturday the Indiana brewery released the highly rated Russian imperial stout. In a matter of hours, bottles of both the regular Dark Lord and its barrel aged variants were found on EBay. (I’m pretty sure I saw one post pop up while someone was still AT the Dark Lord Day event.)

So how much will a bottle cost you now? Currently, the average cost of a regular Dark Lord is in the neighborhood of $60 dollars. Up from $15 at the event. (300%+ increase.) The price of barrel aged editions of Dark Lord are running even higher. If the bottle numbers are any indication, there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 or more bottles produced across 4 different barrel treated editions.
If you got the chance to purchase a bottle of the BA Dark Lord, it was $50 dollars. Average cost per bottle is near $250 on the auction site (in some cases higher). That’s a 500% market up over “retail” price. But hey, free shipping!

http://beerstreetjournal.com/ebay-2012-dark-lord-60-barrel-aged-250/

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'm not as much of a beer nut as some of the other chi town guys. But..... I appreciate going and hanging out at DLD w all my peeps. At a 15 dollar entry fee, 20 dollar parking fee, someone pays for the food and gas and at 15 dollars a bottle I would say its worth every dollar and not over rated one penny IMO.
Edit add waiting in line for a couple of hours here or there as well.....

Last edited:

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
wait a couple months and the price goes down a little on ebay.....usually pick up a bottle or two a year from there as I cant really make up to the event yet.....even if I had tickets.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I get the experience aspect of DLD, 100%. If this was in my neck of the woods, I'd likely be trying my hardest to get tickets to this event.

I am just genuinely curious about the beer. From an outsiders opinion, and one who hasn't tried it...it does seem a little like Opus X if comparing to the cigar world. Opus at retail is a nice stick and worth the $ (at least to me). Paying online prices & some of the sick $30+ stick markup, not a chance.

Is this the same thing, or close? Benzo, perhaps you're a good one to answer since I'm guessing youre paying $60+ per bottle buying from EBay.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
DL is very good, IMO..some years better than others. It is WELL worth $15.
It is NOT worth $60+ on Ebay. Very little is.

I have not cracked a 12 yet, but I know Jere and a few did at the event and he said it's better than the 11, which is good because 11 was not awesome. 10 was great though.

Right now is the absolute wrong time to be looking on flea-bay for these bottles.

Oh and the special bottles that we paid $50 for...I'm not even sure they are that good.
They have been good in the past...but not sure they were $50 good. But it's one of those things where the opportunity falls in your lap and you have to take it and roll the dice. It's like Pepin walking up to you and saying "hey, I only made 500 of these sticks. Want one for $25?"

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I love Dark Lord. (And rumor has it that I love Opus, too)

If they were people, they'd be saying: "We're not snobs, we're just better than you."

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
It was great to hang out with all of the guys Saturday. Wish the weather was better, but at least it didn't end up as bad as it was predicted.

The 2012 DL is definitely better than last years. It will be interesting to see how the special bottles compare. Agree with Mikey, they may not be worth it, but you have to take the chance. Based on what the regular DL is like this year, I think there is a better chance they are worth it than not.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Great to meet the other BOTL's, but Rich & Lisa went way out of their way to make it a memorable weekend!

--Donovan
aka Plus Size

Awesome weekend!

The thanks start with Rich and Lisa for the hospitality. They went above and beyond and I sincerely appreciate it.

It was also great meeting some new people. The entire Chicago crew are just good peeps and I always look forward to my Chicago trips.

Is it too early to start a Dark Lord Day 2013 thread???

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just throwing it out there again, but if anyone has a bottle they'd like to trade, let me know. I have Firestone Walker Parabola batch 1 & 2, Deschutes Abyss '10 & '11, Hangar 24 Pugachev's Cobra (Barrel Roll #3). If you're more into barleywines, I have Firestone Walker Abacus/Sucaba & Hangar 24 Hammerhead (Barrel Roll #4). I can also get some good west coast IPAs. If anyone is interested, let me know. If not, enjoy your DL and I hope to join you guys at a future Dark Lord Day! Cheers!

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I've wanted to try this sometime but I will not buying any via ebay..

It’s the Monday after 3 Floyds Dark Lord Day 2012. On Saturday the Indiana brewery released the highly rated Russian imperial stout. In a matter of hours, bottles of both the regular Dark Lord and its barrel aged variants were found on EBay. (I’m pretty sure I saw one post pop up while someone was still AT the Dark Lord Day event.)

So how much will a bottle cost you now? Currently, the average cost of a regular Dark Lord is in the neighborhood of $60 dollars. Up from $15 at the event. (300%+ increase.) The price of barrel aged editions of Dark Lord are running even higher. If the bottle numbers are any indication, there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 or more bottles produced across 4 different barrel treated editions.
If you got the chance to purchase a bottle of the BA Dark Lord, it was $50 dollars. Average cost per bottle is near $250 on the auction site (in some cases higher). That’s a 500% market up over “retail” price. But hey, free shipping!

http://beerstreetjournal.com/ebay-2012-dark-lord-60-barrel-aged-250/
So I am going to tred on this lightly because I see where you are coming from and do not agree with gouging. But if a person was not able to attend this event...60 is just a bit over "fair" imo. You have to remember like Justin said that you had to pay for tickets ($15 a ticket plus convience fees, tax and shipping...which most used tracked shipping to ensure they could prove if they were not delivered...so roughly 60 or 70 for two tickets iirc). Then you have to pay for the beer...another $15. Then you have to pay for parking and food...that is just up to the person. And to top it all off they are shipping it free...end of day they are pocketing like $10 extra if anything to cover the whole day being there. They might be thinking they are bright by making quick money...but imo that is a real long process just to make $10-$20. Now is it worth that price point...no idea. Guess it is up to the person. Just like the people who drove or flew out to special cigar events to get super limited cigars...

If you do want a 2nd market bottle I think that anything under $40 a bottle you would be getting a bargain at the loss of the seller. Just my opinion once again. Not saying it is right in any means but trying to also put into perspective that if you are hoping for a bottle for under that $40 mark it will have to probably be from a friend or a really nice person.

On a total different note...f all that db's who bought tickets just to resell at huge markups...those are the biggest db's imo.

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
Nice work, Jfire!! The event and the opportunity to hang out with friends makes this day worth every penny. This was my 3rd DLD, and I can honestly say that I truly enjoy the beer. But, that said, I have gifted as many bottles as I have drank, because it's all about the share. If you haven't been, try to make it. It's a blast and there always interesting stories that come from DLD!! Bottoms up fellas!!