What's new

Deep Philosophical Question... Humidors

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to BOTL.org, David. Here's a Tupperdor that has worked for me for two years without a single issue. It is very simple to construct, very cheap, and very effective for long-term storage:

1) The container: Must have air-tight seal. Notice the rubber stripping around the edges of the lid. This brand makes plastic containers that are 100% PCB free for non-toxic food storage. $9.99

2) The Spanish Cedar: Not required for a tupperdor, but I like the aroma it affords the cigars and it retains humidity, keeping everything nicely balanced in the container. This here is a Spanish Cedar cigar tray that guys usually put in their humidors to separate and organize cigars. $12.99

3) BOVEDA Bag: There's many different options to humidify your cigars in this environment, but these little bags are the best. Period. Break open the plastic package and throw one in and that's it. You can replace once a year. One pack for every 30-40 cigars, typically. $3.99

4) The Hygrometer: Again, there are many options. Accurites are very good, require no calibration, and display high/low Relative Humidity and Temperature in a 24-hour period. $5.99 at Home Depot

5) Cigars: The fun part, but watch your wallet! LOL!

6) The Final Product: Keeps cigars smoking beautifully for as long as you want with practically no maintenance. $32.96 total cost!!!

About the best synopsis of "how to " I've read that guides with words and pics..follow this and it's success city...I would add that kitty litter works perfectly and for that size humidor. ..1/2 a cup would cost maybe 10 cents.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Would you mind posting a picture of how you do that? Thanks!
All you're really doing here is puncturing the plastic. Why this company decided to close the vents on these devices I'll never know. It could be to protect from dust, but we use them in a controlled, enclosed environment, so dust really isn't an issue. I'm not guaranteeing a change in its accuracy, but it might help. I've done this with all my Acurites, btw. Good luck, brother.

[URL=http://s87.photobucket.com/user/pjw5353/media/01Cigar%20Miscellany/IMG_0604_zpswe6ruwcq.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s87.photobucket.com/user/pjw5353/media/01Cigar%20Miscellany/IMG_0605_zpsovyb2eox.jpg.html][/URL]

You will also see that I removed magnetic clip too with same razor blade.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
All you're really doing here is puncturing the plastic. Why this company decided to close the vents on these devices I'll never know. It could be to protect from dust, but we use them in a controlled, enclosed environment, so dust really isn't an issue. I'm not guaranteeing a change in its accuracy, but it might help. I've done this with all my Acurites, btw. Good luck, brother.

You will also see that I removed magnetic clip too with same razor blade.
Perfect. Thanks for the pictures.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worked for me, but wash out the Tupperware with baking soda and let it air out so there isn't a plastic smell inside once it's closed and sealed.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I usually put one of the thin cedar sheets between the boveda and my smokes too. The sheets come from the cigar box, but most stores will give them to you free(they trash them).