What's new

Diagnose this problem...

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
That is prolly what I'll do...take it to a local shop and have them give me an estimate.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you bought this laptop using an AMEX or a Platinum Visa/MC then you might be in luck.
These cards add an addtional year of warranty protection to one year warranties. Call them up, usually they say get it fixed and send us the bill.
That's what I did with my Amex claim on a stereo receiver.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Kingston said:
If you bought this laptop using an AMEX or a Platinum Visa/MC then you might be in luck.
These cards add an addtional year of warranty protection to one year warranties. Call them up, usually they say get it fixed and send us the bill.
Never knew that. Good to know. Let's hope he used a good card.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Kingston said:
You are quite possibly the most well versed person I know when it comes to credit cards. Very good information here :thumbsup:

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
DWavs said:
Used my Dell Premiere Account.
Ah, well what I suggested won't work then.
You could try getting your local media involved. Some news stations and newspapers have consumer advocates that will contact the company on your behalf.
Dell may turn a potential PR problem into an oppurtunity to be generous to a local teacher and fix it out of warranty.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dave, normally most companies will give you a few day's lee-way when it comes to warranty work. Ask to speak with a customer service manager and don't take no for an answer.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
When they tell you no..ask to talk to a supervisor.
And go as high up as they will let you. Sooner or later the odds are with you that you will get a person with authority to say ok.

Good luck Dave.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That's a great thought John and Hal, except that he's more than likely going to be talking to India and will be VERY lucky to get someone with enough authority to make a real decision. Dave, if you go this route, I THINK they still have a CS center in Texas or somewhere in the states. You might want to just keep calling until the person who picks up doesn't speak with a New Dehli accent.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Good luck David. Be nice but persistent. If you are rude they won't want to help ya.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Jwrussell said:
That's a great thought John and Hal, except that he's more than likely going to be talking to India and will be VERY lucky to get someone with enough authority to make a real decision. Dave, if you go this route, I THINK they still have a CS center in Texas or somewhere in the states. You might want to just keep calling until the person who picks up doesn't speak with a New Dehli accent.
Correct. Due to that, I sent off a letter to Dell Corporate HQ's in Texas...we'll see what happens.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Another question...regardless if I take it local or send it to Dell...do I have to be concerned with the stuff on it right now? For instance, I have a financial folder with links to my bank, etc and my login is set to auto fill.

Should I just take the thing back to factory specs since it isn't my primary system anymore?

And on a similar note, there is no chance that taking it back to factory specs would possibly solve the mentioned problem, right?

The only issue I have with taking it back to factory specs is I just renewed my Norton subscription but I assumme there are ways around that problem?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
DWavs said:
Another question...regardless if I take it local or send it to Dell...do I have to be concerned with the stuff on it right now? For instance, I have a financial folder with links to my bank, etc and my login is set to auto fill.

Should I just take the thing back to factory specs since it isn't my primary system anymore?

And on a similar note, there is no chance that taking it back to factory specs would possibly solve the mentioned problem, right?

The only issue I have with taking it back to factory specs is I just renewed my Norton subscription but I assumme there are ways around that problem?
If it's getting repaired and you expect it returned, I would take measures to safeguard all sensitive data.
Password protect and/or encrypt all sensitive info and clear out your web passwords (especially auto-fill and cookies).
If this is going to be replaced, then I would wipe it and restore from the Dell CD (the purple or blue one).
Personally, I would back up and wipe everything regardless if it's coming back, or will be replaced.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Interesting development. Since the problem started last week, the screen has had a weird pinkish hue to it on the intial start up...the window that has the dell logo on it before I even get to the Windows XP splash screen.

After a restore back to factory specs, the weird hue is gone. hmmm.....

I have the screensaver, hibernation, standby, etc, turned off. We're gonna see how long that bad boy stays on. If it makes it a few days, I think it is safe to say that something else may have been the culprit.

The only thing I had recently done was upgrade my Norton about a week prior.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Now my wife might kick my ass for buying this P4 with a 17" flat screen monitor last Friday. :bickering

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
This was all a ploy. He's gonna show her this thread to explain his thought process.