What's new

Disappointment, Moldy AF

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Did that come from me????
I don't think so, but I'm not sure. It had the black "sun grown" type label. It was cedar wrapped, and was about the 8-5-8 size. If that sounds familiar, then check out your stash. On the "all stories end well" note, I smoked it last night and it was very flavorful and had no ill side effects.

Much worry about little.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... It had the black "sun grown" type label. It was cedar wrapped, and was about the 8-5-8 size...
Sounds like it was probably bigger than an 8-5-8 and was a Double Chateau. That's about the only one that I can think of that might fit that description. Anyway, glad it was much ado about nothing.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
glad to hear you're still with us, i agree with vipe, sounds like the dbl chateau sungrown. time to go check my stash again, never thought about taking off the cedar!

was the cigar stored with or without the cello?

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
then it was from me.. I took the cello off b4 i came..

Damn, I need to go check mine out..

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just to let you all know; I am serious about a need for moldy cigars. I'll be happy to trade you outright for moldy cigars, as though they were in pristine condition. For my "mold experiment" I've donated one 75 count humidor and two boxes of DonTomas maduro cigars. I know they're cheapies, but I wasn't about to give really good sticks to this experiment. (Especially since ain't nobody else helping pay for the mold testing or any of the cigars.)

If you have any cigars which you'd probably trash rather than smoke, that already have a mold problem, please send me a PM and I'll work something, trade-wise, out with you. At present this experiment isn't being taken all that seriously I think, but I'm doing the best I can without expending more money than necessary. [It was rather difficult to get the original cigars to develop any mold at all...]

See "Squid's Mold Experiment" for details and explanation...

Thanks, and my apologies for the "thread hijack"

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
shit.. so CF might want to check his too, and Acaffey...

Sorry bout that...

means i need to smoke my remaining 3

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If you have any cigars which you'd probably trash rather than smoke, that already have a mold problem, please send me a PM and I'll work something, trade-wise, out with you. At present this experiment isn't being taken all that seriously I think, but I'm doing the best I can without expending more money than necessary.
You're doing a great job. I know of at least one cigar shop that has some sticks infested with mold. I'll pick some of them up next time I'm over that way. Also another shop I know of that's not known for mold had a box of Don Carlos Presidentes that was shot out with mold. I know others have noticed too cause a week later when I went back in, the shop still had the box with not a one sold out of it. I'll try and pick up one or two of those as well.:eyepoke:

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Anyway, glad it was much ado about nothing.
On another note, I don't think I agree with this. I love Fuente cigars, but a message needs to be sent to them. Maybe it's time to quit buying products that have issues with mold. Sure you can return them and things be made good but 1) I don't feel like hasseling with it and 2) They are risking the rest of our stash by contaminating the rest of our cigars that may be unknowingly stored with them. The latter being the serious issue here. To each his own, but as for myself, I am going to put a big halt on my Fuente purchases until this is resolved.:disappoin

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I never buy em that is the problem, well that is what makes me mad about it.. I never have em, never smoke em and now i have some that are infested...

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
S**t I'll check mine when I get home:hammersma These are 4-5 years old and stored at 65/65 for 3+ years. I have not had one in a while but they have always been tasty. Looks like the remaining 10 or so will die soon.

Tobby send me your addy and a few make up sticks will be heading your way.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey, i didn't mean to raise an un-necessary alarum... But I would suggest checking anything suspect; the factory seal ain't as important as protecting your stock from infection... Naturally, if you can't return mold-infected sticks, I'll buy/trade for them; just let your retailer know that you AIN'T HAPPY with them if you can't get your stock replaced...