What's new

Do certain foods turn you off?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meaning: foods such as foie gras and veal. While I love meat, I refuse to eat veal or foie gras for the fact that the way it's "made" just sits wrong with me, moraly. I know meat doesn't come in a foam container wrapped in plastic from day one. I've seen animals processed. I know it's not pretty. But for a calf to be kept in a cage barely big enough to contain it so its muscles don't have a chance to strengthen is, in my opinion, offensive and cruel. Same goes for shoving an injector into a goose's throat so the end result is an engorged liver. I've had both, and it was good! But no more. Any of you guys feel the same for other foods?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am no saint....I eat horrible horrible foods and am a bad person...but foie gras is far from the worst food...here is a silly little article that has 8 foods that are way way worse than foie gras..........
thoughts anyone
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/8-foods-banned-before-foie-gras_n_1018474.html

Meaning: foods such as foie gras and veal. While I love meat, I refuse to eat veal or foie gras for the fact that the way it's "made" just sits wrong with me, moraly. I know meat doesn't come in a foam container wrapped in plastic from day one. I've seen animals processed. I know it's not pretty. But for a calf to be kept in a cage barely big enough to contain it so its muscles don't have a chance to strengthen is, in my opinion, offensive and cruel. Same goes for shoving an injector into a goose's throat so the end result is an engorged liver. I've had both, and it was good! But no more. Any of you guys feel the same for other foods?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Do you not eat meat that is not treated to your liking before they killed and eaten?
I am a horrible person and don't only eat well treated animal. .if given a choice I would for sure choose the animal that has been treated better ...mostly for the simple fact that they taste better, and if I cook at home I buy "good" meat.......but I love weird ethnic foods from restaurants that I am sure don't treat their animals nicely. Thai, Mexican, Cambodian(new favorite of mine), Chinese, Salvadorian to name a few.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
This convo made me think of this scene for some reason

[video=metacafe;an-CpFXJt27Yhbm42/cb4_1993_daliha_complains_about_gustos_new_ways/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-CpFXJt27Yhbm42/cb4_1993_daliha_complains_about_gustos_new_ways/[/video]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good Mexican chorizo but if I saw the manufacturing of it I would probably change my mind. I mean lymph nodes, fatty cheeks, salivary glands, etc. just doesn't sound too appealing.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'm a non-practicing Vegetarian. I mean, in my heart I'm a Vegetarian, but my mouth lacks discipline.

I'd prefer it if the animals I eat had committed suicide or something. Or maybe if they really deserved to die, like chickens that are also rapists or something.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I had my first shot at foie gras over the winter. it was served atop some ahi tuna. It was pretty good with the tuna, but I bet it would be killer with a beautiful piece of black angus beef.

but more to the point, I'm not a big fan of any comemrcialized food sources for things like beef, chicken and pork. I try to buy my pork locally as I know it's been treated right and wasnt' raised in a pen with 4,000 other hogs. i try to buy free range chicekn whenever i can and the same for the beef. I do break down and buy from the grocery store from time to time because it's easy and I'm a typical lazy american

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm a non-practicing Vegetarian. I mean, in my heart I'm a Vegetarian, but my mouth lacks discipline.

I'd prefer it if the animals I eat had committed suicide or something. Or maybe if they really deserved to die, like chickens that are also rapists or something.
Hahahahaha! ^^^This is fantastic"

xOPUSx

ligero lucifer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in reality foie gras is as equally cruel as any dairy product, I think people just poke at it because its easy to say they dont eat foie gras or veal. its convenient to not eat because its not everywhere, your not gonna have to start reading ingredient labels and asking your server if your selection contains veal or foie gras. Personally I am vegan(no meat, fish, or dairy) however i do wear leather and do not particularly care for animals(sure bears, lions, tigers and shit are cool) Im also a chef and love making a good terrine of foie gras.

90% of the customers that complained to me about foie gras was because they didnt want it on their STEAK.

eat meat! (not me tho) haha

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
When I was driving over the road reefer division, I had to pick up truck loads of beef from slaughter houses, and loads of chickens from Tyson. For nearly a year after those, I couldn't eat meat, and still have trouble with it sometimes if I remember what I saw.

Reading about that stuff happening, and seeing it with your own eyes and hearing it with your own ears are two completely different things. I'm a big fan of a good steak, but I was utterly repulsed by it. Still don't like to think back on it...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Wait you are vegan and cook....I respect the fact that you cook meat and all....but how do you taste the food you make....without eating it? do you spit it out?

in reality foie gras is as equally cruel as any dairy product, I think people just poke at it because its easy to say they dont eat foie gras or veal. its convenient to not eat because its not everywhere, your not gonna have to start reading ingredient labels and asking your server if your selection contains veal or foie gras. Personally I am vegan(no meat, fish, or dairy) however i do wear leather and do not particularly care for animals(sure bears, lions, tigers and shit are cool) Im also a chef and love making a good terrine of foie gras.

90% of the customers that complained to me about foie gras was because they didnt want it on their STEAK.

eat meat! (not me tho) haha

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Hey for me to eat, animals have to die. When i was a kid i saw pigs, goats, deer, chickens all killed in my grandma's backyard. Only time it ever bothered me was when the kill wasn't quick and clean(usually due to the fact a novice was given the job) but i still ate. I have no problem with vegitarians, vegans but don't lecture me on why i shouldn't eat meat or ask me why should an animal suffer for me to eat.

xOPUSx

ligero lucifer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait you are vegan and cook....I respect the fact that you cook meat and all....but how do you taste the food you make....without eating it? do you spit it out?
well most of it you dont have to taste, your not gonna cut a piece of a customers steak and taste it. and for sauces that aren't vegan a level of skill comes into play(if you've made a thousand demi glace you just know)....and if im workin on something new its not hard to grab someone and get a salt check. herbs and spices its just a matter of volume and consistency salt is the only iffy ingredient for me at times. I also make many of your traditional sauces vegan and people tell me its the best hollandaise or aioli they have ever had, not even knowing its vegan.(served a 300 person brunch eggs benedict with a egg and butterless hollandaise and they re-booked 2 weeks later for the same menu)

xOPUSx

ligero lucifer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey for me to eat, animals have to die. When i was a kid i saw pigs, goats, deer, chickens all killed in my grandma's backyard. Only time it ever bothered me was when the kill wasn't quick and clean(usually due to the fact a novice was given the job) but i still ate. I have no problem with vegitarians, vegans but don't lecture me on why i shouldn't eat meat or ask me why should an animal suffer for me to eat.
this is why i have a lack of respect for the vegan community, i eat a vegan diet strictly for health.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
this is why i have a lack of respect for the vegan community, i eat a vegan diet strictly for health.
I find it hard to believe a purely vegan diet is all that healthy for you.. We're omnivores by design. We weren't designed to be living strictly on a vegan diet.

As for me, I have zero misconceptions about where my food comes from and I don't particularly give a crap. I'm higher on the food chain. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, rabbit, kangaroo, fish, shellfish, whatever... all delicious and I'm not too concerned about it as long as it's on my plate, delicious, and doesn't make me sick due to poor handling/cooking of the meat.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i'm just a sucker for good food. Doesn't really matter what it is to me, as long as it's goooooo-oood. {in the tone of Cousin Eddie from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.}

And i try to live by the words of my mother...everything in moderation. I have trouble with that concept with beef though. i could eat beef 5 times a week.

xOPUSx

ligero lucifer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe a purely vegan diet is all that healthy for you.. We're omnivores by design. We weren't designed to be living strictly on a vegan diet.

As for me, I have zero misconceptions about where my food comes from and I don't particularly give a crap. I'm higher on the food chain. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, rabbit, kangaroo, fish, shellfish, whatever... all delicious and I'm not too concerned about it as long as it's on my plate, delicious, and doesn't make me sick due to poor handling/cooking of the meat.
what could possibly be unhealthy about NOT eating dairy(which we are not supposed to eat anyway) or animal proteins? i eat more protein than most people that eat meat and NOTHING i eat contains any chemicals or antibiotics and is 100% organic. even triple a rated 4 and 5 diamond restaurants serve chicken that contains arsenic. there are plenty of diet calculators you can addd up all the foods you eat and it will give you a score, average score for a healthy diet is around 160-200 my diet is usually around 550-600.

I agree with you, we absolutely are higher on the food chain and im not saying eating meat is wrong i could care less. I just prefer a whole foods diet and its not for everyone, its super expensive but the way you feel when you eat foods I do makes it worth every penny.