What's new

Do you do this?

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So a short look into my current state of being. I moved to the middle of nowhere Alabama after college in December of '13 for a really good job (mechanical engineering grad from UCF). Lately I've been working about 70-75 hour weeks and cigars have become my vice or point of solace since my girlfriend, who was previously living in Orlando, moved to San Diego.

I have found that my favorite way to spend the little bit of time outside of work is to surf this forum, learn what you all think about what your smoking and enjoy some sticks myself.
I typically make some food, pick something from the humidor and then eat dinner.

So here is my question:
While I eat dinner I like to look up reviews for the cigar I'm about to enjoy. I'm curious what everyone else's pre-smoke rituals are or if you just wander to the mystery box and dig down deep for something you forgot was even there.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Good question, I'd like to see what others have to say.
Just this week I rearranged my cooler to make the task of picking a stick for smoking a bit easier. Before organizing the cooler, I used to open it up, sort through the boxes, and hopefully pick something within a half hour.
Now, I have it arranged as follows:
Bottom box is the sticks I want to save for special occasions or age.
In the other boxes I have a variety of sticks, low to high end. These I try arranging by brand. I think there are 4 boxes that I have just for these.
The top tray is full of the ones I want to smoke in the near future. I have about 30 in there. So, when I want a smoke, I open up the cooler, take out the top box and look through there. It's made the selection much easier. Before, I would look at about 150 cigars and get lost. Now, with less options, it's much easier.
After that, I sit out back or walk to the b&m, hang outside and bullshit with the guys.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I generally smoke cigars when my wife is out, so the ritual is:
Make sure every kid is in their bed, then run as fast as I can to the garage with the baby monitor, a glass full of ice, a cigar, cutter, lighter, and whatever food I can also carry in my arms.

In the summertime, I smoke out on the patio with her, so then the ritual is:
Make sure every kid is in their bed, then run as fast as I can to the patio with the baby monitor, a glass full of ice, a cigar, cutter, lighter, and whatever food I can also carry in my arms.

OK, so the ritual doesn't change :D

Most of the time, the selection of stick is just me grabbing whatever is next on my mental list (I have a few reviews to do, a bunch of stuff I really want to try, and a few classics I'd like to revisit.)

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If I'm smoking a new cigar I like to look up reviews after I smoke it. I don't want my opinion swayed. But it's always great when I get the same flavor profiles that others are getting. No major rituals. I don't labor over what I'm going to smoke very long. A couple minutes tops. But I might be thinking about it the night before to help me make up my mind.

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Funny enough I'll be there at the end of the month. The only plans we have so far that I know of are to brew some beers Saturday morning!!

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Make sure every kid is in their bed, then run as fast as I can to the garage with the baby monitor, a glass full of ice, a cigar, cutter, lighter, and whatever food I can also carry in my arms.

Make sure every kid is in their bed, then run as fast as I can to the patio with the baby monitor, a glass full of ice, a cigar, cutter, lighter, and whatever food I can also carry in my arms.

Most of the time, the selection of stick is just me grabbing whatever is next on my mental list (I have a few reviews to do, a bunch of stuff I really want to try, and a few classics I'd like to revisit.)
"I generally smoke cigars when my wife is out" bro I'm actually happy I am not the only one....praise the lord lol

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My wife actually expects me to go out to the garage n have a smoke most nights after dinner, yard work n spending some time with the kids. I have one humi designated for resters, one for yard and fishing gars, and a tupperdor for what I smoke out of.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually grab whatever. Not much of a ritual, i sorta just smoke whenever i get the chance. Unless its on the lunch hour. Then, i eat my lunch and have a smoke.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0

So what do you do with the ice? Also, I realize you are a ninja and fairly nimble, but you shouldn't run, you could trip and injure yourself.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Lately my ritual is just to grab what sounds good when I look in. I have an aging humidor that I never open so it cuts down on choices. But that still leaves two to choose from. Then it becomes a matter of what I plan on doing. If I am going to be hanging with the kid or its hot as balls outside I grab a cheapo. If its nice and I have time to chill I go higher end or look into what I have been gifted by ya'll.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Curious what root beer you like? To me it pairs damn near perfect with cigars. But i have to be in the mood for root beer instead of alcohol.
Any root beer. The Fred Meyer brand is what is usually cheapest, so that's what I get. Mug or A&W if it's on sale.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Loving the Dexter-esque rituals! Get your kill room ready and all that hehe...

I find that my ritual is changing all the time but When I'm home I take something out of the humi the night before I smoke and dry-box. (I'm a 70rh man)

I pour two drinks usually 1 beer 1 bourbon but if it's a non drinking day it's 1 tea 1 coffee.

Ask the Mrs if there is anything that needs doing right now or hold your peace for at least 1 hour. Head out onto the patio which is good all year round due to me living in Sunny Queensland. Even in the depths of winter a jacket is all that's required for a comfortable outdoor smoke.

Set everything out in front of me and decide tools and method of lighting.

Get her smoking then BANG interruptions galore :banghead:

Someone pops in, young fella comes outside, dog starts verbally abusing anything that moves, Mrs remembers something that needs doing right this second hahaha nah it's not always the case but I do find the uninterrupted sessions are fewer and farther between all the time.

Of course taking a happy snap for BOTL is sometimes in amongst it too

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I love the dexter comment because I just recently started watching the show! I finished season one in about two days...guys I know I have a problem but it does not affect my work so it's all good lol.

Your ritual sounds very familiar, something a little shy of a George Thorogood song I believe.