Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Other Brand

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I will be looking into the portable XM/Sirius when they come out as well... My IPOD is just getting out of date so I need to start looking around

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have a Pioneer AMP with a Pair of Pioneer 1000 speakers along with a pioneer TURN TABLE and..... an AKAI 1800SD Tape Recorder with an 8 track tape player that still "Kicks out the Jams. Will rattle the windows in the house next door.:guitar: :thumbsup: :music: Did I mention the two sets of Pioneer Headphones with a splitter for two???:togetherl

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Boppa-Wasch said:
I have a Pioneer AMP with a Pair of Pioneer 1000 speakers along with a pioneer TURN TABLE and..... an AKAI 1800SD Tape Recorder with an 8 track tape player that still "Kicks out the Jams. Will rattle the windows in the house next door.:guitar: :thumbsup: :music: Did I mention the two sets of Pioneer Headphones with a splitter for two???:togetherl
There ya go. Now we are talking
NAD Tuner, 2 1000 watt NAD AMPS, one per speaker, Definitive Tech Towers with liquid cooled speakers, 250 CD programable Pioneer CD player, customer made monster cables to the speakers and an AKAI turntable. I can and have been able to break glass. You can feeeeel the music. Stick that in your ears

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
ive got a 3rd gen 15 GB (HS graduation gift from 3 years ago, use in in the car everytime i drive, maybe ill post some pics if anyone is interested), couple of months ago i bout a 6GB silver 2nd gen mini for work. gf has a 30 gig black video and when she get her new computer im getting a new 30 gig white for $90 (apple's education program kicks ass)!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Wow...glad this thread got bumped up, cause I'da never noticed it!

I bought my iPod in November of 2001...about two weeks after they were originally introduced. At the time, it was Mac-only, had a 5gig HD, had an actual FireWire plug instead of a Dock connector, had a scroll wheel that actually turned, was 3/4" thick (which is thick by today's standards, but at the time seemed shockingly small), and cost a whopping $399.

I have used it almost every day since. :laugh:

I did have to replace the battery on it about a year-and-a-half ago, but it only cost $19 bucks and it doubled the original battery life. Of course, I've worn out countless sets of headphones. I've dropped it more times than I can count--including on concrete--and it still doesn't have a significant dent or scratch (although naturally, it does have plenty of surface scratched on the back).

My little 1st gen iPod is easily the best consumer electronics product/gadget I've every bought. Sure, it may be lacking in some of the modern features (dock, color screen, pics & video, etc) but it's rock solid and 100% reliable. If/when this little guy dies, I'm gonna be sad!

We did buy my wife a 4th Gen (click wheel) 20gig model when they first came out; the large capacity is nice (since I can only fit a fraction of my music library on my iPod at a time) but honestly, it rarely gets used. If it wasn't for listening to Audio Books through her car stereo on her morning commute, she'd probably NEVER use it.

I do think I'll be buying a new iPod next year; a 5 year product life is long enough. :awholelot

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Woops I answered the wrong one, I have a Dell DJ which I liked alot when I had my previous car because it had aux in. Haven't used it since I got a new car.

I did buy a green iPod Mini for a good friend and she loves it, uses it all the time... I would rather listen to whats going on around me rather than music.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I'm getting tired of my 4G iPod. I just got back from Fry's and I'm thinking of getting the Alienware CE IV 1gB player. It looks cool, comes w/ a docking hub, and is hovering around $119.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've got nothing against iPods but I wanted wma (plays for sure) support. For a $10/month subscription I could download unlimited tracks to my player and add/remove as much as I wanted. A great feature I think because my tastes change so much I hate to pay per-song, I would rather just have the song die if I don't pay the subscription since I probably won't listen to it anyway.

Plus, there is really easy to use software out there that re-encodes the protected wma into a mp3 (or other format of choice) at something like 12x realtime speed and uses fake audio channels to do it so it stays 100% digital and doesn't get PC beep noises mixed into the songs. So, if you really want you can keep the music forever even after the subscription is cancelled... its just not legit.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
... I hate to pay per-song, I would rather just have the song die if I don't pay the subscription since I probably won't listen to it anyway....
you only have to pay for the songs you want to buy, there is no reason you cant use all your existing mp3's and/or rip all your cd's into itunes.

in my experiences, that seems to be perhaps the biggest misconception about the ipod: that you have to buy the songs from the ITMS, everyone that i tell differently is surprised to learn that they can use apps like limewire to dl mp3's :nono: (nothing that I :angel: would ever do, of course :innocent: :halfgrinw ....)

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I understand that seriesV, what I meant by that is basically I don't have to download the songs illegally, or purchase them per song. Not saying I havent used limewire, usenet, etc; but I liked the subscription and/or purchase systems because you get the exact song you want every time in a high bitrate that doesn't have quality issues that can sometimes go along with mp3's you find online.

The other feature I liked is that Napster (and Yahoo) would build playlists for me based on genres or things I've listened to before. I could also download others playlists and it would auto sync up the songs and playists to my player... so it was easy to discover new music I would never otherwise listen to.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I understand that seriesV, what I meant by that is basically I don't have to download the songs illegally, or purchase them per song. Not saying I havent used limewire, usenet, etc; but I liked the subscription and/or purchase systems because you get the exact song you want every time in a high bitrate that doesn't have quality issues that can sometimes go along with mp3's you find online.

The other feature I liked is that Napster (and Yahoo) would build playlists for me based on genres or things I've listened to before. I could also download others playlists and it would auto sync up the songs and playists to my player... so it was easy to discover new music I would never otherwise listen to.
that one post pretty much hits all the negatives i can think of when it comes to my method of browsing ITMS and dl from limewire with an occasional ITMS purchase. another thing that pisses the hell out of me is the degree to which the meta-tags are fucked up on i'd say 90% of the mps'3 floating around out there.
as far as discovering new music, i wish there was an easier way, but i ususally go to the artist/album page in ITMS and from there poke around the "others have also bought" and iMix lists, also the iTunes essentials playlists are a good source, till you get all the songs... :disappoin