What's new

Do you remove the band?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The band question that got The Prince thinking about the other band question got me thinking about yet another band question.
I noticed recently that when I'm in a group of NC smokers most of them leave the band on their cigar when lighting up. When I've been around Cuban smokers it seems most of them removed the band. Granted, some of them arrived here bandless but many people took them off the intact ones. I've heard that it's an ettiquete thing so you're not showing up someone who may be smoking a "lesser" cigar.
I've found that for myself, I take the band off when I'm smoking around others. I leave them on when I'm smoking at home. They're easier to get off the cigar without damage once it warms and softens up. I throw them into a big glass jar I have. I don't know why, I just like them.
Do you remove your bands before smoking?

Hambo

I'm Cigar-a-licious
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do remove them. It it gives me any "trouble" I wait until it warms up. It isn't worth risking damage to the wrapper to remove the band.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
windowrx said:
I've found that for myself, I take the band off when I'm smoking around others. I leave them on when I'm smoking at home.
I'm the same way. If I'm around anybody else, the band comes off first, less potential for annoying questions.
Even though most of my friends know the kind I smoke, I don't want a huge discussion about it when I'm in public.
When I'm at home I leave it on till towards the end. Sometimes because I like the way it looks, sometimes because I don't want risk damaging it (if it seems really stuck).

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Only time I take the band off is when there is someone I don't know around. Else it stays on.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I always take it off prior to smoking as well.

1.) Makes it easier to nub.
2.) I like feeling the smoothness of the wrapper.
3.) I don't like people knowing what I smoke unless I know them, then they will just ask.
4.) Some people view it as a sign of showing off.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
If it is loose enough, it comes of immediately after lighting.

If it's kind of tight or glued to the cigar then I leave it on 'till it warms up or it gets in the way.

I too have a cigar box with bands from just about every cigar I have ever smoked. All five of them. :hysterica

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I normally take the band off. But if I try to take the band off and it gets snagged on the wrapper, then I just leave it on. It doesn't matter where I'm smoking, whether it be my house or the B&M, I always try to take the band off.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I like to save my bands so if I'm going somewhere, I take it off and leave it in the cigar band box. If I'm at the house, I leave it on. No particular reason for leaving it on although I do think the bands are a work of art, adding to the overall experience.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Texas Cop said:
I leave them on until I have smoked down close to them, then pop them off...I would rather not risk damaging my cigar..

Andrew

That's pretty much my line of reasoning.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
john tripp said:
I have saved EVERY band from every cigar and keep them in a cigar box.
If I did that I would need a cigar box the size of my fricking house :rofl: :rofl:

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I leave it on most of the time I only smoke around guys that are smoking havanas so it is nice to see what everyone else is smoking so if I have not had one I can ask how it is or if it is somethig rare I can ask to try it :grin:
But most of the time I am smoking older stuff out of a cab :yes:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always remove the band because I want to smoke as much as possible and if enjoying the smoke i don't want to try and get it off when i have a stubby in my hand - cigar end that is!! :smokingme

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Mine are left on pretty much every time, but I haven't been around other people while smoking much. I imagine if I was going to be smoking around a bunch of folks I didn't know I'd want the band off. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only take the band off when I'm smoking a really great cigar that I'm really enjoying and don't seem to want to finish....