What's new

Do you remove the band?

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop
I leave them on until I have smoked down close to them, then pop them off...I would rather not risk damaging my cigar..

Andrew

Quote originally posted by the Prince:
That's pretty much my line of reasoning

Mine too unless as mentioned they are glued on and dont want to come off. I almost always smoke past to the band.

So far I've had very few people reconize my cuban bands even when I show them one up close.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I personally tend to leave it on unless it's easily sliding before I light. Otherwise I wait for the adhesive to soften up and then take it off later. I'd rather not have a hole in the wrapper to try and smoke through.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Hmm, never really worried about what anyone else thought to take the band off for that reason, nor do I usually take it off in anticipation of nubbing cigars.

I like the progression of flavor all the way through, but I find that the lower I take my cigars, the more I get a buildup in my mouth after and the more influenced my palate becomes if I want to smoke another. I'm usually a 2/3 smoked, 1/3 left guy. (unless we're talkin smokes longer then 7")

Cigar_Ben

NiceTightAsh.com
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'm with Kurt. I rarely nub, but I do take bands off. When I do nub, most NCs have HUGE cigar bands that will get in the way (ie, my beloved Ashton VSGs) so I remove them. I would say 90% of the time I remove the band and on Cubans, 100% of the time. I don't want prying eyes looking at my isoms. Either they are snitches or want to bum one. either way, their assholes. :kissforeh :grinFU:

DocRKS

Herf Doctor
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You remember the saying by Geo. B. Shaw that the English and the Americans are "separated by a common language." Well, apparently, there is also a much stricter sense of decorum and protocol to smoking your cigar there as well.....

During a visit to London, I was taken by my host to a very beautiful and established (old!) 'gentleman's club' - the refined variety - not the stripper bar kind.... cigar smoking was not only allowed - it was expected !!!!

However, as soon as I took my cigar out - I was reminded by my host that "unlike back in the States --- the band is always removed before lighting up." I told him I had no problem in complying - but asked if he knew why this was so.... Well, I couldn't believe it but the question seemed to catch him off guard ---- he said he never really asked why - it was just the way things were 'properly' done....well, this became a topic for a limited discussion amongst some members that evening and the consensus seemed to be that leaving the band on was crass and poor manners... It lead to a sort of comparrison of "my cigar is better then your cigar" and that sort of thing.... When I asked if anyone ever asked what the other guy was smoking -- the initial answer was CERTAINLY NOT !!!! but it was soon discovered that they all did if they found the look or aroma of the stick especially interesting.....although all of these guys agreed that they would wait until AFTER the cigar was finished being smoked and never during the time it was being smoked...

Now having said that, I leave the bands on when I'm back on this side of the Pond until the glue has had a chance to warm up and is easily removable without risking damage to the wrapper...

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
N2Advnture said:
I always take it off prior to smoking as well.

1.) Makes it easier to nub.
2.) I like feeling the smoothness of the wrapper.
3.) I don't like people knowing what I smoke unless I know them, then they will just ask.
4.) Some people view it as a sign of showing off.
Agree on all points especially 3 & 4.

However, unless it comes off effortlessly, I'll wait until I've lit the cigar ... the warmth of the cigar loosens the glue a bit.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It depends, usually I leave it on though. It helps with knowing if I turned the cigar or not.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I rarely take off the band prior to lighting it. I usually wait till it warms up enough so the glue softens up a little to avoid tearing the wrapper or the band.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I picked up the habit of removing the bands also. Especially when they are very large or multiple (a la RP Vintage). I found that I like the clean feel of the wrapper. I tend to turn my cigar often while smoking and the bands often get in the way.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Yep, I have to wait until it's warmed the glue enough to come off easy. No reason to risk hurting the wrapper by removing early....

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I almost always take it off. . . there are usually aren't any problems with the wrapper. But I do it for a different reason than you guys. I want people to ask me what I'm smoking, then I get to talk about it with them, and talk about botl.org.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally leave them on until I get close to it and then pull it off. I have ruined to many cigars trying to get the band off before it has warmed up.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
If it is loose enough, it comes of immediately after lighting. If it's kind of tight or glued to the cigar then I leave it on 'till it warms up or it gets in the way...
Yup, what he said. :clap:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I leave the band on. The only one I've ever taken off was from the 1st cuban I've ever smoked. I saved that one. If it's a particularly great smoke then I'll remove the band so I can nub it. To me, the band is part of the art of a cigar. I leave cigars in their box as long as I can, it's all part of the artform to me.