What's new

Do You Show Off Your Collection/Habanos???

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
So my aunt and uncle are in town from Colorado and while I'm away for the day, my dad brags about my collection, etc etc. Needless to say, I hate showing people my Habanos because of all the questions that come after they see it. It just saves me time from explaining everything and I guess this is the same reason I remove the bands before smoking in public. It wouldn't bother me if my uncle was a regular smoker...Ya know??

What's your outlook on this (family or not family)?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Close friends know what's there and like looking at it.
They also know to keep their mouths shut (well..most of them do).
Larger gatherings or even visting relatives don't get the grand tour.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I will show my collection to close friends only. That's one of the reasons that when I save enough pennies to buy a cabinet humi I'm going for the cooled version with the solid front rather than glass front. I'd rather it just looked like a piece of furniture than showing off the contents. Whenever people see the cigars they invariably start asking questions like "how do you get them?", "isn't it illegal?", etc. and I'd rather not go into it. I have to admit though, when I do get to show them to someone I trust I do enjoy showing them off.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
windowrx said:
Whenever people see the cigars they invariably start asking questions like "how do you get them?", "isn't it illegal?", etc. and I'd rather not go into it. I have to admit though, when I do get to show them to someone I trust I do enjoy showing them off.
BINGO!
:thumbsup:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
When I take my cigar caddy full, Sometimes I show them what I have but don't tell them unless they ask (or it's a close friend) So far only 2 or 3 people reconize what I smoke. So the conversation after that usually goes I smoke Fuente's and Macanodo's and they usually walk off. Saturday night I was smoking a BCJ and the bar tender asks to see the band. His response Bolivia hugh.. Sometimes it's commicle. But a couple of weekends ago I went to El Gaucho and the bartender reconized some of my bands wich was kind of cool.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My humi is on my coffee table, and no one really has asked to see what's inside.

I took some of my "special" cigars to my local shop that i WAS going to and the owner insulted me and said that they weren't what I said they were....Haven't been back.

I'd not only show my friends, but offer one up....

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I'll show them off to experienced smokers...the others don't really care but like the looks of the Avallo and think I'm nuts for having so many. The one thing that always gets the unexperienced smokers is the fact that you can age cigars and that some of them are years old.

Sean9689

Mr. Papagiorgio
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I don't show them off to anyone but do post pictures in my gallery for people who might be interested on the various forums. Most of my friends could care less about my collection of smokes but do wonder why I have so many of the darn things. My reponse, "I don't know why either.".

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I only show off to folks I know and trust. I guess I'm kind of lucky (and unlucky) in that I don't know all that many folks who smoke cigars around here. And I'm REALLY lucky that neither can seem to understand what's so great about mine vs their's. Of course I cringe when I talk to one of my buddies, who I sold a fiver to. I talked to him the other day and got this:
"Nah, haven't smoked one yet. Just checked the himidor the other day and had to fill it up...was in the mid 50's."
He does this ALL the time. Poor smokes...

At anyrate, back on topic, I'd rather avoid the questions if possible.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
wasch_24 said:
LOL, pretty good reply Sean...I find that "I try not to think about it" works too. :hysterica
I also like [with a straight face] "In case of an earthquake"
Everyone thinks that's a very valid reason here in SF.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Most of my close friends know what I smoke and how many I have so its not really a problem. I don't really show it off, but the Avallo is hard to miss and most people comment....or they have heard about "the collection" and want to see it.

Most of my friends are inexperienced smokers so they just look in awe...I don't try to explain. I just say I am aging them so they get better....like wine. Keep it simple. I do like the earthquake explanation....using that in VA will confuse them even more!

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I don't really show off my collection. I keep all of my cigars in coolers so anyone who sees them isn't really drawn to what's inside. Ordinary food coolers draw zero attention in my experiences. If I'm smoking and someone sees my stash I've brought along to smoke, I will answer questions but not really draw attention to the amount I've got at home. Most people don't go crazy if you have 2 or 3 with you. They just assume what they want which usually is that Im treating myself and normally wouldn't smoke them.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is somewhat akin to asking somebody if they show off their crack or pot collections...I mean, we are talking about an illegal item here, and while the chance of you ever getting into any legal trouble of it is miniscule the chance is still there...And of course, my opinion is probably largely swayed by my position, where I need to keep my nose as clean as possible so that I can attain employment. Nobody sees in my humis or my travel humis, unless I am in well known company..

Andrew

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem with the legal issue...still dont show anyone unless they ask and even then i am reluctant to show them off.perhaps three people(other than wife and kids)have seen my stash.also wont tell people how many i have(just seems like bragging or something)other than to say"thousands and thousands".

derrek :)

vewyphishy

Smoking fish
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely take the initiative to show my collection. The Avallo sits in the living room in plain sight. If they ask, I will talk about it. Otherwise, its just another piece of furniture to set your beer down on (with a coaster, of course). :nodlaugh: