What's new

Do you taste grass in Cohiba?

How often do you find a "grassy" flavor in your Cohibas?

• Always. Grass is a signature Cohiba flavor to me.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Most of the time. It's rare I don't taste grass.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Some of the time.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Rarely.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Never. What the hell are these people talking about with "grassy"?

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I thought for sure someone would have asked this already, but a search turned up nothing.

I read reviews all too often where the reviewer lists grass as a flavor in Cohiba cigars. I have sampled many Cohibas (Esplendidos, Robustos, Behikes, Coronas Especiales, Lanceros, Siglos, Maduro 5's, etc.) and I have never detected any flavor even remotely resembling grass. Honey, caramel, toasted tobacco, sure. But nothing anywhere near what I would classify as "grassy."

So what is the consensus? Have you ever tasted grass in a Cohiba? If you have, was it good/bad/so-so?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I always think of grassy, as fresh tobacco, or that candela flavor, which I do not get. However there is that taste that I refer to as hay, some people call it barnyard, I think Cohibas have that flavor.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know the barnyard/hay flavor you are talking about. I think that's what the FoH guys typically call "mongrel." For me, it's a hard flavor to describe. It's a bit rough in a good way. If I had to pick one word to describe it, I suppose it would be musky. Nothing like grass, hay, straw, or the like. In any case, I never taste mongrel in Cohiba.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I'll second the dry hay, light straw flavor. Barnyard is totally different to me and more apparent when smelling the unlit stick, more of a wet, stinky smell (in a good way - probably because I know it bodes well for a nice, full-flavored cigar) and something I've never smelled on a Cohiba.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Yup, grassy or "hay" flavors seem common in "fresher" Cohibas...I don't care for it, so I prefer them with decent age, when that vanilla bean flavor starte to develop.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Never understood the "grass" description, but then again, I haven't ever pulled a few blades up from my lawn and chewed 'em up. I should ask my dog, he does it all the time.