What's new

Do you think it's haughty to consider oneself an aficionado?

To consider oneself a cigar aficionado is:

• confident but humble

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • conceited and cocky

Votes: 22 16.7%
  • well, it depends...

Votes: 52 39.4%
  • a cigar what??

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aficionado: Noun: A person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.

The way I see it a cigar aficionado doesn't have to know everything there is about cigars. I think that most of us here who are really trying to learn everything about them and loving every minute of it are cigar aficionados. So my guess would be we have a lot of them here rather you call yourself that or not.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like with most things in life one can be educated in certain things and as long as that education doesn't fly in the face of others where you make them feel uncomfortable because you tend to think you are the ultimate authority. One can be self confident in their knowledge and education but when it starts to leech into somebodys life as a boastful action...you're not educated anymore as much as you become a real PIA where others aren't likely to want to be around you.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I think the mag has some influence, but it's akin to the use of many other words in the English language in that it may not necessarily be used in the "proper" context. Although the "proper" definition is admirer, fan, follower, etc, it (IMO at least) means something a little different. Like someone else said (I'm just being too lazy to look for it lol) it's something that isn't bad when someone else refers to you as such, but not something I would want to call myself.
Aficionado: Noun: A person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.

The way I see it a cigar aficionado doesn't have to know everything there is about cigars. I think that most of us here who are really trying to learn everything about them and loving every minute of it are cigar aficionados. So my guess would be we have a lot of them here rather you call yourself that or not.
fag
6. Slang . a cigarette.
7. a fag end, as of cloth.
8. a rough or defective spot in a woven fabric; blemish; flaw.
9. Chiefly British . drudgery; toil.
10. British Informal . a younger pupil in a British public school required to perform certain menial tasks for, and submit to the hazing of, an older pupil.
11. a drudge.
queer
1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.
2. of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something queer about the language of the prospectus kept investors away.
3. not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel queer.
4. mentally unbalanced or deranged.
5. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive .
gay
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
bitch
1. a female dog.
2. a female of canines generally.
irony
1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
- although close, this little guy is commonly misused. If I'm wishing I had some ice cream and my wife comes home with some unexpectedly, it's actually the opposite of irony.​

My point is this: a word's definition seldom has any bearing on it's use, especially in American English.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word "aficionado" is the past participle of the Spanish verb "aficionar" which means "to inspire affection". So if I say "soy aficionado de cigarros" I am basically saying that I am a big fan of cigars. (Literally, cigars have inspired affection from me.)

Of course, the English word also has the connotation of being very knowledgable. If someone really does have a lot of knowledge about cigars, I do not see that there is anything haughty or conceited about the person acknowledging as much, unless he or she does so in an obnoxious way that puts others down.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My friends all throw the term around loosely when talking about me but I just laugh along with them. They grab a case of Busch Light and Swisher Sweets when coming over for a smoke and I take my Johnnie Walker and a stoge from my stash. By now they know me well enough that I don't do it to be a snob, I just prefer things a certain way. They know they are always welcome to anything I have and occasionally will divulge in the "finer stuff." If someone else is hosting and I forgot to bring my own stuff, I'll happily light up a machine made and toss back some light beer without even thinking twice. Just because I like cigars doesn't mean I have to have a stick in my ass.

If people ask me directly if I'm an "aficionado" I politely just say, "Nah, I just enjoy learning all there is about the culture and history of cigars. You can really appreciate the nuances if you know the origins of each smoke" Everyone likes that answer, I don't have to lie, plus it always sparks more cigar interest from them.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Comparing myself to how I am with coffee, I'd say I'm not a cigar aficionado. I will turn my nose up at nasty coffee; I would drink nothing rather than drink nasty dark roasted swill. But I will gladly smoke cheap cigars.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You shut your mouth! I'll go start breaking glassware!
Bwahahahahaha, no need, I break plenty enough for us all!.... (there was a pile of ruined goblet feet hiding in last night's "today's smoke" post) :/
Don't worry I've gotten rid of most of them already, but there will probably be more.... ;)

FTBMelanie

Melanie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of where I'm coming from. I was recently explaining my cigar hobby to someone and I thought "well, I'm not an aficionado, per se, but... well, am I? Nah, don't think so..." Aside from my many friends on BOTL, I know much much more about cigars than anyone I know. But, in comparison to many of the brothers here, I'm just a yearling! lol
I feel the same way. I'm still learning. Compared to people on here or to my husband, I know nothing. Compared to the average customer in my shop - I know quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I dont see why having passion for something would be construed as a negative thing. There will always be some one who knows more about something than i do. Reminds me of the tommy boy saying " i could get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a cows ass but i would rather take the butchers word for it" i believe i will always enjoy tobacco and i am sure there will always be someone who knows a little more about it than me but that doesnt shake my will to enjoy cigars

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've embraced the fact that I know almost zero about Cigars, that primarily is why I'm here, to learn and spend time around some great people that enjoy the same things. I know I'll pick things up along the way.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I've almost revived some from like '04 or ' 08, a few times.... Just barely caught myself in time. Kinda tempted to do it anyway just for the hell of it... ;)
You should do it. I revived the NUB thread after it died 3-4 years ago. Now people post a NUB all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk