What's new

Do you/would you smoke in front of your kids?

Do you / would you smoke around your kids

• No way

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 44 38.9%
  • Yeah, it's no big deal

Votes: 47 41.6%

• Total voters

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
After Sunday dinners, my grandfather used to take us grandchildren on after dinner walks and smoke. I didn't mind, and my mom never seemed to worry about it. Now with the qualitative shift in America's collective opinion regarding smoke, and as the father of a highly impressionable 2-year-old, I am begging to wonder about smoking around my kid (always outside, usually while I am grilling an he's playing or watering the plants with his mother). The wife doesn't think it is a good idea, but I am of the mindset that it's not all that bad, as long as it is not an every-day event.

How do/did you fathers handle this?

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I have before.
Always outdoors, never inside or in the car.

I have also said in the past - NO WAY....but have moved off that point a while ago.

I sometimes do, but very selectively. Usually not every day.
I dont want them to confuse smoking a cigar and smoking at this age.
(my kids are young).

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
No i would not risk it if I had kids. Their lungs are still developing, and even if it's just sometimes it can lead to asthma. You just never know. With your kids, it's better to be safe.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
If for whatever reason I was smoking in an enclosed environment (I don't know why I would be), then no way.

Outdoors while grilling or something? Sure! Kids these days (I'm only 23) need to grow a pair. You know how many bonfires and ditch fires (for clearing leaves) I hung out around while growing up? Those same fires I started with the use of lots of gasoline too. I'd be more worried about having your kids grow up near a city full of polluted air...

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
No. Never. My kids know I smoke, and have helped me pick cigars and pack boxes, but I don't see any justification to ever smoke around them and expose them to the potentially harmful effects.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
(my kids are young).
Same here. I have not smoked in front of my kids. My eldest isn't old enough to educate her on what Daddy is doing is an adult priviledge yet (she's 2 and a half).

She did catch me one time while I was outside grilling during the winter. I thought I closed the curtain but she peeked around and immediately she started copying me pretending she was smoking a cigar with her index finger and thumb up to her lips. Maybe a week afterwards she would make the moiton when I would take out cigars. Ever since then I make it a point not to smoke in front of her. She's stopped making the motion so the most I'll do is rotate cigars and let her see but that's it.

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll smoke them outside, and often with my father-in-law or neighbor. My child knows that they are different from the "icky" cigarettes, and that only daddys smoke cigars. Rather than hide it from her (which often gets kids even more interested), I do it in plain sight and ensure that no smoke is getting near her.

My father smoked cigars when I was a kid, and after putting an unlit one in my mouth when he walked away once, I had no desire to smoke them until I was old enough to try it out for real. Sure, maybe I wouldn't smoke them today if not for having been around them as a kid, but I don't smoke cigarettes.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have before.
Always outdoors, never inside or in the car.

I have also said in the past - NO WAY....but have moved off that point a while ago.

I sometimes do, but very selectively. Usually not every day.
(my kids are young).
100% my sentiments.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I suppose you have to define kids. When they are under say 7-8 years of age, no. Although on a couple of occasions I have had my daughter-in-law drop by when I was in the back yard smoking a stick. This lead me to smoke after dark.

Again, it's a slippery slope and one which will cause many to wring their hands.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'll smoke them outside, and often with my father-in-law or neighbor. My child knows that they are different from the "icky" cigarettes, and that only daddys smoke cigars. Rather than hide it from her (which often gets kids even more interested), I do it in plain sight and ensure that no smoke is getting near her.

My father smoked cigars when I was a kid, and after putting an unlit one in my mouth when he walked away once, I had no desire to smoke them until I was old enough to try it out for real. Sure, maybe I wouldn't smoke them today if not for having been around them as a kid, but I don't smoke cigarettes.
I agree with this 100%. Kids are curious if there going to smoke there going to smoke as they get older. JMO. But that's not to say smoke inside a car with them in it.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I agree with this 100%. Kids are curious if there going to smoke there going to smoke as they get older. JMO. But that's not to say smoke inside a car with them in it.
I'm feeling this as well. And I don't have to worry about smoking with the kid in the car, because the Great State of California has outlawed that, anyway.

Ara

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually smoke after my 2 year old is asleep so she has never seen me. I'll probably keep it that way although she has seen my father in law smoke occasionally.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I'd probably keep it as quiet as I could. Especially when they're really, really little. After that, I'll talk to the wife and see what she thinks. ;)