What's new

Do you/would you smoke in front of your kids?

Do you / would you smoke around your kids

• No way

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 44 38.9%
  • Yeah, it's no big deal

Votes: 47 41.6%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I imagine my days of smoking inside my house will end when I have kids (although ideally, I'd have a smoking room), but I don't see any problem letting them see me smoke. I probably wouldn't subject them to a smoke filled room, though. By the time they are in danger of smoking other things, they will know the difference.

Much like guns, I think they need to be exposed to them and educated about them so that they can respect them and enjoy them responsibly if they choose when the time comes.

Most of the best guys I know are cigar smokers, so I don't want my kids to think that it is something shameful that should be hidden because that isn't what I think and my wife (when I find the right girl) should agree with that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't have children but boat and "neighborhood watch" while grilling and putting back a few with our friends with kids. One couple has kids that are about 6/7 and 8/9. The parents smoke when the kids are away and never in front of them. I've personally never had a cigarette and that is their burning stick of choice. The dad dips and does so in front of their kids.

I have always thought I was careful to be a good distance away from the kids when I was burning a cigar but on the 4th the mom told me the son hates the smell of my cigars. Reading this thread makes me think I need to be a little more careful. I always travel to gatherings with enough cigars for anyone that would want them. Often I see the longing for a smoke from the guys with kids that don't want them to see them puff. But many of them also pour their beers in cups to drink secretly too.

My parents didn't regularly drink but they'd have a pitcher if we went for celebratory pizza. Dad would have some whisky when we were at the duck club. But they did so responsibly. I didn't have my first drink until I was 21. Didn't become a regular cigar smoker until 31. Now I drink and burn regularly but responsibly. Sorry for the ramble

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I don't. My boys are 12 and I have not smoked in front of them. But then again, I don't smoke in front of my mom either. They probably know something is going on because they are smart boys but I choose not to smoke in front of them or when they are around. I usually wait till they go to bed before I fire one up. That's just my choice. When they are old enough I look forward to enjoying one with them if they so choose to do so. I don't drink in front of them either. Again my choice.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My kids are young (3 and 6mos). I usually enjoy a cigar after they are both in bed. I did awhile back have a cigar while watching my son play in the backyard but I think that was a one time deal. He's at the point now where he asks questions about everything, and I don't feel like explaining my one vice to him right now.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I said "Sometimes" on the poll.

I have a 4 year old. The only time I've smoked a cigar or pipe around him is when we're outside in the yard, and he's off playing in the yard. I never let him around the area I'm smoking. And never do it while it's just him and me outside. He knows I smoke cigars, and so does Daddy's friends, and PawPaw (my wife's father). I tell him it's something for only grownups to do. My wife tells him it's not healthy and not something good to do. He comments on them, like when I get them in the mail, or I have my humidors out. He'll say ... "Did you get some new cigars, Daddy?" and stuff like that. He personally thinks when they are burning that they are stinky and doesn't like it.

On a somewhat related sidenote: He also knows we drink. We let him know that it is alright for grownups to have a glass of wine, or a beer, with dinner. Have I had more than one around him? Yes, at home. But never drunk, etc. We want him to be aware. He'll even occasionally ask us if we would like a glass of wine, at dinnertime! LOL I don't like the idea of making something so taboo that it will drive him to try stuff because he hasn't been exposed to it. If he's aware of it, knows it is alright for grownups, and knows when he gets to a certain age, he also can join us, I think, IMHO, it will make for better, or healthier, decisions in his life. Again, I could totally be wrong... but parenting is all about doing the best you can for your children, and hoping you can instill tools for them to be able to make the best decisions when they get to that point.

All that just to say... "Sometimes"

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I said "Sometimes" on the poll.

I have a 4 year old. The only time I've smoked a cigar or pipe around him is when we're outside in the yard, and he's off playing in the yard. I never let him around the area I'm smoking. And never do it while it's just him and me outside. He knows I smoke cigars, and so does Daddy's friends, and PawPaw (my wife's father). I tell him it's something for only grownups to do. My wife tells him it's not healthy and not something good to do. He comments on them, like when I get them in the mail, or I have my humidors out. He'll say ... "Did you get some new cigars, Daddy?" and stuff like that. He personally thinks when they are burning that they are stinky and doesn't like it.

On a somewhat related sidenote: He also knows we drink. We let him know that it is alright for grownups to have a glass of wine, or a beer, with dinner. Have I had more than one around him? Yes, at home. But never drunk, etc. We want him to be aware. He'll even occasionally ask us if we would like a glass of wine, at dinnertime! LOL I don't like the idea of making something so taboo that it will drive him to try stuff because he hasn't been exposed to it. If he's aware of it, knows it is alright for grownups, and knows when he gets to a certain age, he also can join us, I think, IMHO, it will make for better, or healthier, decisions in his life. Again, I could totally be wrong... but parenting is all about doing the best you can for your children, and hoping you can instill tools for them to be able to make the best decisions when they get to that point.

All that just to say... "Sometimes"
+1 - good perspective.

I hide nothing from my kids, which are 11 and soon to be 13. They know I smoke cigars and pipes and I always have that they're aware of. They know it's only for adults and respect that. And yes, I drink around them too. They're well educated and realize kids can't do everything adults do. Then again, we've never sheltered our kids or talked to them like they are kids. Always treated them like young adults and have certain expectations for them. Hell, they got their first guns (.22 and 4/10) for their 9th birthdays.

Raise kids to think things are taboo and they'll sneak and gather like moths to a flame. Educate them and treat them intelligently and they'll make good decisions. JMO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not hide it from my kids but would definately not smoke around them in a confined area. As they get a little older, i may consider letting them try it. My dad let me try to dip skoal when i was about 11 and i still will not do that shit. i will not influence them to try it but will not condone them either.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I only smoke outside, so my boys (7 and 16) may be around playing or doing chores at times. They see me and they know what I'm doing. I don't make them stay a certain distance from me, but at the same time, I wouldn't consider lighting one up if they were sitting beside me.

Just my two cents...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like quite a few of you are closet cigar smokers. Sing loud and sing proud, "I'm a cigar smoker and I'm not gonna take it anymore!".

Kids are smarter than you think. If you hide what you do they think it is something that is bad. If you feed them with knowledge, they absorb it and make better choices (usually). Stop sheltering children like this. They will be the next generation taking more of your cigar rights away because they don't understand cigars; because you wasted all those years concealing the "dirty vice" instead of informing them about the realities (good and bad) of cigar smoking.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
For me, it's not about hiding it from my kids. As I said earlier, they know all about my cigars. I've explained to them how cigars are different than cigarettes, but they're still for adults.

The question was about whether or not it's ok to smoke around your kids. IMO it's not ok. There is no good reason to expose them to 2nd hand smoke. That said, I'm of course referring to smaller children who are still growing and changing, not adult-aged kids.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
My son is 3.5 and I don't smoke with him around which is a fate of circumstance.

We have a front, rear and screened portch which is where I do most of my smoking, usually after he's asleep anyway(smoking is a way to relax and a 3.5 year old bouncing off the walls does not add to my relaxation).

He knows what cigars are and where I keep them. I told him to satisfy his curiosity and let him know they are for adults and not to touch.

Last edited:

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Sounds like quite a few of you are closet cigar smokers. Sing loud and sing proud, "I'm a cigar smoker and I'm not gonna take it anymore!".

Kids are smarter than you think. If you hide what you do they think it is something that is bad. If you feed them with knowledge, they absorb it and make better choices (usually). Stop sheltering children like this. They will be the next generation taking more of your cigar rights away because they don't understand cigars; because you wasted all those years concealing the "dirty vice" instead of informing them about the realities (good and bad) of cigar smoking.
Yep, couldn't agree more.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yeah, i smoke in front of them but only outside and I keep the smoke away from her as much as possible. Hell, anytime im putting cigars in/out of my humidor or rearranging my coolidor they're both right there with me "helping" out. Both even ask to hold the cigar under there nose to smell the wrapper. My eldest is 3.5 and youngest is 1.5.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I am a firm believer in good parenting and that also means not coveting your children. I don't hide smoking cigars from my kids at all even though I don't really want them sitting next to me while I do it. Honesty with your children is very important and you can be a parent about it at the same time. Parenting means being a good parent...not a friend. My kids are great kids, very smart, and never been trouble makers. I think my wife and I have done an excellent job at parenting. We dicipline, we teach, we correct, and most importantly, were there for them.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I always smoke on the back porch while watching TV. Sometimes my son comes out and watches with me, but schools have beat the "smoking will kill you" idea into todays kids that he occasionally fills a squirt gun (mostly a super soaker) and chases me with it trying to put out my cigar.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I always smoke on the back porch while watching TV. Sometimes my son comes out and watches with me, but schools have beat the "smoking will kill you" idea into todays kids that he occasionally fills a squirt gun (mostly a super soaker) and chases me with it trying to put out my cigar.
For some reason, I can picture you, running around the backyard, screeching like a girl, ducking behind shed, air conditioner unit, bushes... :headroll: