What's new

Do you/would you smoke in front of your kids?

Do you / would you smoke around your kids

• No way

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 44 38.9%
  • Yeah, it's no big deal

Votes: 47 41.6%

• Total voters

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
My daughter is 8 mos old (today actually) and we have another on the way. I didn't respond because I'm undecided, and gathering pros and cons from this great thread! My parents smoke and always have. I still remember sneaking cigarettes from my mom when I was 14/15ish. I don't smoke cigarettes now. She also had a liqueur shelf in our pantry growing up and I don't drink. So, judging from personal experience, I guess it can go either way regarding having it out in the open as opposed to making it taboo.

Questions: If you don't smoke in front of your kids but they see your cigars when you get them in the mail, etc, how do you explain cigars to them when they ask?

Here are some of the posts I found useful. I've also posted some questions in response. Thanks!

If for whatever reason I was smoking in an enclosed environment (I don't know why I would be), then no way.

Outdoors while grilling or something? Sure! Kids these days (I'm only 23) need to grow a pair. You know how many bonfires and ditch fires (for clearing leaves) I hung out around while growing up? Those same fires I started with the use of lots of gasoline too. I'd be more worried about having your kids grow up near a city full of polluted air...
I'll smoke them outside, and often with my father-in-law or neighbor. My child knows that they are different from the "icky" cigarettes, and that only daddys smoke cigars. Rather than hide it from her (which often gets kids even more interested), I do it in plain sight and ensure that no smoke is getting near her.
I'm feeling this as well. And I don't have to worry about smoking with the kid in the car, because the Great State of California has outlawed that, anyway.
I'm wondering how long it will take for y'all to see the light and come to the states that still support civil rights and personal decision making :scratchhe

I tell him it's something for only grownups to do. My wife tells him it's not healthy and not something good to do. He comments on them, like when I get them in the mail, or I have my humidors out. He'll say ... "Did you get some new cigars, Daddy?" and stuff like that. He personally thinks when they are burning that they are stinky and doesn't like it.
Does he ever ask why you do it if your wife tells him it's not healthy and not good to do? How do you respond?

I don't like the idea of making something so taboo that it will drive him to try stuff because he hasn't been exposed to it. If he's aware of it, knows it is alright for grownups, and knows when he gets to a certain age, he also can join us, I think, IMHO, it will make for better, or healthier, decisions in his life.
I hide nothing from my kids, which are 11 and soon to be 13. They know I smoke cigars and pipes and I always have that they're aware of... Then again, we've never sheltered our kids or talked to them like they are kids. Always treated them like young adults and have certain expectations for them. Hell, they got their first guns (.22 and 4/10) for their 9th birthdays.

Raise kids to think things are taboo and they'll sneak and gather like moths to a flame. Educate them and treat them intelligently and they'll make good decisions. JMO.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yes! some of my earliest childhood memories are of pipe or cigar smoke of some sort from anyone of my grandfathers, step-grandfathers, or their friends. I agree, that it wouldn't be a good idea to do so in a confined area. but hell, the old folks in my family smoked cigars and lived or are living well into their 80's. IMO, its not such a big deal.

jbizzle

jb
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not much of a helicopter parent. It seems to me that if I ever try hiding something from my kids (boy 8, girl 5) that they INSTANTLY know something's up. Besides it's pretty hard to hide a 3000 stick humidor and 5 coolers. They know I smoke. They know I drink. They know I have guns. They also have been taught to respect all of the above as adult things. We are pretty open with discussion in my house and my kids have been raised to listen and form opinions. They are fine with me smoking cigars and I do in front of them on a regular basis. I only smoke outside, but we spend most all day outside cooking, playing, eating, even watching tv on the patio. I don't smoke right next to them. They are not fine with my wife's cigarette habit and I calculate they will have her broken of that by they time they hit middle school with their nagging. I love it.

Interestingly enough, both kids (as I said very opinionated) have made it clear that while they are not bothered by what I do they have no intention of ever smoking or drinking. It will be an interesting next ten years watching them mature to see if their thought process changes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a young father and I also come from a religious anti tobacco backround. So I guess I'm conflicted on this issue. My two sons are still relatively young(6 and 7) so I have tried to smoke when they are not around. As they grow I will have to think more about this but for now cigars are part of some relaxing "me" time without the wife or kids.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but...
We have also educated our kids and let them know our expectations of them. Alson, smoking in front of them does not in mean smoking near them or in enclosed areas. They know we smoke cigars and pipes and have seen us do it often. My son was actually asked by his teacher after a DARE meeting to tell his class about the difference between different tobaccos and the things they put in cigarettes

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have twin 2.5 year old boys and I do not...I did (outside) a bit before they were mobile, but now I do not want them seeing me do it. Like someone else said, smoking is a break for me and I like to either do it by myself or with friends...not with the fam around.